The CCBS vs Technic Building System Topic

Uh, guys?
Take a look at the 2016 Bionicle sets.
They, in my opinion, get the best of both worlds.

…I think CCBS has much more utility and looks better, depending on usage.

i do the same on almost all of my mocs they look pretty good together too, the smoothness only amplifies the detail in bionicle part!

1 Like

I agree with Eljay, CCBS is way easier to take in. The “Bonkle System” just got way too saturated for its own good. They looked cool, that’s for sure, but the mix of different textured pieces that were never meant to be used with each other made them look cluttered like Bayformers. CCBS on the other hand, clearly had a well thought out plan in which pieces were meant to go with each other from the get-go, which may look simple, but worked and will continue to work for years to come. For those still in disagreement, I have one question…Which is more discernibly coherent?

This?

or this?

4 Likes

I like overly detailed look, I never really saw it as cluttered, but I can definetly see why people think that. This whole topic I’ve argued that technic/bionicle is better because of the detail. But as a system, yes, ccbs is objectively better in almost any way. I’m very much a sucker for aesthetics, I love detail of plain and smooth.
So in conclusion, I believe bionicle looks better(because of the details that ccbs lacks) but ccbs functions better.

1 Like

The winner is clearly waffles and ya’ll need to git gud.

Srsly.

9 Likes

You’re such a silly billy.

The issue here is that the 2016 sets didn’t get the best of both worlds. They currently suffer from a similar issue that Gen 1 sets do and that is conflicting aesthetics. It’s not well distributed, and they don’t blend together pretty much at all. The add-on piece from 2015 did a great job of balancing the two, and I wish they had taken ques from that. Unfortunately, we’ve got a conflicting design and it doesn’t look as good or solid as it would have if they had just picked one or the other.

5 Likes

^^^
Eljay says it best

Yes! I must have the almighty Tuma!

@Eljay said everything I needed to say.

Peace out.

I like how the 2016 sets look for the most part…

1 Like

i grew up with the technic building system so im gonna have to say its my fav

Ehh… Their both priced differently.

CCBS is like the brick based system: there’s no need to make new molds to make the sets more interesting (like the old Bionicle builds) because there are already so many possibilities, and those sets show this. They are excellent at being distinct and unique without introducing many new pieces (in fact the actual parts, not including masks, are two). THIS IS WHAT’S AWESOME ABOUT LEGO, don’t think about it as a bad thing.

3 Likes

I do agree, but think about the amount of system parts compared to CCBS/tehcnic parts. I think the reason people ask for more parts is for the amount of possibilities that system gives us, even though we do have a lot of possibilities as it is.

Well, System has to create buildings, cars, submarines, planes, spaceships, statues and many other things (and it’s a lot older, like fifty years older). CCBS is basically only used for buildable dudes and creatures, and the Technic parts are just so versatile, so I don’t think they even need such a variety.

Should CCBS be used only for buildable figures though? With a few new parts, heck, even the parts we have now, so much more could be created. Maybe Lego’s limiting themselves too much with the medium.

1 Like

I personally can’t think right now about other ways CCBS could be used efficiently, but I do think that the three systems will eventually be used together (united, but not one, right?) much more than now, and I am mostly talking about CCBS because the other two are already working in harmony, and such a thing needs time.
But this is getting a little off-topic, isn’t it?
So back on topic.
Something I noticed that has changed in the Mask of Control’s design (aside from the obvious) is that it seems like the mold mark’s position is a bit lower than the previous, but it just may be because of the size of the eyes on this new mask.

1 Like

I don’t believe that the last 5 posts or so should have been moved into this topic. We were having a discussion about System and CCBS/Technic, not CCBS vs Technic. Moving topics for the sake of moving topics is not really helpful.

I mostly prefer CCBS. I think the most efficient way of explaining would be a list of as to why,

• Compatible with System and Technic.

• Simple, but effective.

• Very LEGO-esc Design.

• Has lots of potential.

• Has lots variety.

• Strong and Durable.

• Lots of parts.

• No obnoxious specialized parts.

4 Likes

If you mean the figures it-self, I can understand. But for parts, See all the toa 2016 beside Onua use the same sword piece in different ways

1 Like