The Cons of Bionicle

I believe there is a way, but it requires something called a stop motion rig.

stop motion rig?

Yes, a stop motion rig.

This video features it.

1 Like

Wow. Never expected that.

I think that’s the way to go. I know the Bohrokman used a few rigs in his “Krana” animation.

Here are some:

• '08 Gali looked like a man
  • Mata brains being so hard to get out (I’ve taken them out so many times they’re like minifigure arms now, so it’s not that much of a problem to me)
  • We only got 2 Toa Hagah
  • Nuva masks (except the Akaku Nuva)
  • Stars being Matoran sized (where I live I had to pay $16 each for them, if they were canister sets they would have only cost me $20 each and they’d be worth it a bit more)
5 Likes

The story that became filled with utter useless fluff that only served to make it seem larger and more complex than it really was. Also, the hand a lot of fans had in this outcome while the story was being written.

Very little female characters existed, the ones that did were mediocre at best. Symptom of putting aside one village of six to be “the female village” and only having one of each element represented in each set wave (creating a massive disparity in male and female characters). Roodaka was an utter joke that didn’t belong.

The massive shifts the atmosphere kept taking. You start on tribal, mysterious Mata-Nui. You then suddenly ■■■■■ to a big city, an advanced society, with all kinds of technology and political corruption. You then ■■■■■ into the post apocalyptic with more political backstabbing and genetic mutations abound. Then the story becomes darker, edgier, gritter as characters are killed more often and more violently, as sets are made with bloodstains on their faces, as you have every individual conspiring against one another and begin creating sad spinoffs of eldritch gods. You now have war criminals whose only characteristics are “violent, evil and dangerous.”

Makuta. Makuta was a dark shadow they could slap on anything to make it seem “intimidating” or to make disjointed storytelling act as if it was all planned that way because the great villain had plans within plans and could apparently predict the future and plan for every loss, even the surprising losses. The character lacked substance, lacked personality and was about as interesting as the nearest box.They also named him Teridax.

I’ll never like the Mistika as sets. I’ll never like most of the Inika as sets. I disliked a lot of later Bionicle designs, I disliked the overuse of silver, I disliked the change from brown to orange, I disliked how the heads and masks kept changing, making them less and less compatible with the earlier masks and collectibles, I disliked how large and lanky the sets became and how out of proportion they were. On the bright side, I enjoyed the Voya-Nui Matoran.

The gender restrictions were frivolous and stupid.

Those are most of my cons with the G1 line.

5 Likes

Tbh it was mostly made by one guy and also it was technically a kids story. But as this is about cons I ain’t complaining

Couldn’t agree more about the lack of female bonikles n’ such.

I’m hoping Gen 2 can change that.

5 Likes

Well there is the chance that there will be no genderlock, but then there’s still gali and most people think most of the protectors will be guys

1 Like

Well, lets take a look at Lego’s recent lines:

Chima: Lack of female characters.
Ninjago: Lack of female characters.
Hero Factory: Lack of female characters.

Somehow I think Gen 2 will have a lack of female characters.

6 Likes

most likely, yeah, can’t argue with that. All we can do is wait and see what happens. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

While they did, I remember bionicle g1 had larger character amounts( unless compared to Chima or something) so there’s the chance bionicle g2 might have a smaller amount or a larger one which allows for female characters to be equally represented…

Also remember that Lego canceled G1… :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess we’ll have to wait, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

1 Like

Hey, I’m all for more female figures. But I doubt the ‘one woman in a male team’ stigma will go away any time soon.

4 Likes

well there were those few waves where hero factory didn’t have breez…

2 Likes

And the waves that she appear in, the set was pretty bad.

2 Likes

Well HF and Bionicle were sets aimed specificly at little boys and they are robots who have very little to no gender differences…basicly like transformers

5 Likes

Phantoka and easy to break pieces, even though they looked really cool, they were cheaply manufactured sadly.
The ending: it was rushed, and I know it was supposed to be cooler and longer, but the end was handled badly, mainly set wise. Story was ok, it would’ve been better if Greg got his way.
I see the lack of female characters debate and I agree, there could’ve been more.
Also, then end of collectible masks, or at least when they ended. I think it would’ve been cool if they ended with the toa metru, cause imagine how cool variations would’ve been on those masks.
Lack of change in the last few years of bionicle. Keeping over all the inika build, which was a great build, but if they could have shifted away from that to something more original, that ould’ve been awesome.
Squid launchers. HOW DO THEY EVEN WORK?!?!
The movies: WAIT! before you freak out, I enjoy the movies, but honestly, they could’ve been animated better, like how they did the commercials? imagine a bionicle movie with that cool animation. and maybe less cheesy…
And while this doesn’t bother me, but it might’ve worked better if these were all black, but the multiple colors for the pins and axles? I think just black would’ve been cheaper and look nicer. But hey, only a minor thing to me.
The fact that certain characters didn’t get sets.
AND FINALLY, I’ve already brushed this, but the final wave of sets. They made me sad inside. Though, I did like the bringing back of two kanohi.
OK that all being said, I still freakin’ love Bionicle, I was just tossing the only flaws I could think of. So… yeah.

3 Likes

Actually, on the round pins, you need two colors to differentiate between the friction pieces and the non-friction pieces. The axles, though, could’ve been all black.

1 Like