The DC Universe

I loved the movie, I don’t see the complaint about it being too dark. The movie wasn’t supposed to be light hearted or have a lot of humorous moments.

3 Likes

Many people say the critics are biased towards Marvel. I think they’re just used to Marvel since they’ve been controlling the comic book movie genre for the past few years.

3 Likes

Well to be real the vast majority of comic book movies that were good in the first place were based on marvel characters. The exceptions being some of the batman incarnations.

Until marvel started doing the MCU most Comic book movies were kinda trash. So naturally critics don’t quite know how to judge someone else.

BTW I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m just adding to your point.

3 Likes

Because Marvel movies actually have a guy in charge of the universe who respects the characters and the source material, and also chooses good directors for their movies.

For me, the huge deal isn’t that Batman might have maybe accidentally killed someone - it’s that he kills people with no remorse. The people working for Lex Luthor aren’t even criminals - they’re just doing their jobs and Batman mows them down.

And then Snyder has the audacity to do the “I believe you” scene. Seriously? That only works if the character has been built up to not kill - and when it was written, it was over decades of that character not doing it. That scene loses every bit of meaningful impact.

10 Likes

DC just got roasted.

7 Likes

All the negativity surrounding the DCEU… makes me think Superboy Prime would be perfect for this universe. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/37003/2014232-tumblr_lovdr112gz1qggblro1_500.png

3 Likes

This is probably the most hypocritical Batman ever. He’s angry that Superman kills so many in Metropolis, yet Batman kills so many criminals. Though they are criminals, some might of been decent people that were forced into the life.

If the solo movies can’t fix this, then Batman is screwed.

5 Likes

He doesn’t directly kill the criminals.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re right. It was the bullets that he fired from his military-grade death car that killed 'em, not Batman. /s

5 Likes

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/snyder-says-batmans-bvs-body-count-more-manslaughter-than-murder

He still has the no kill code in the tie in comics apparently though.

2 Likes

Manslaughter - the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder. (unplanned killing)

Murder - the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another. (planned killing)

See the stupidity of Snyder’s explanation?

Well, I guess continuity doesn’t need to work in this universe.

1 Like

First off, I’m going to say I enjoyed BvS. Did I think it was a good movie? No, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Probably the biggest problem I had with this film was the pacing. I didn’t feel like this film had a typical coherent 3 act structure. The first two hours felt like your typical Act 1 of introducing characters/building up the story, and when we actually got the 10 minutes of Batman fighting Superman, it felt like we finally got to Act 2. Then Act 2 proceeded to only be about 30 minutes or so long, and it was over. Basically it was just Buildup-Buildup-Buildup-Buildup-Buildup-Buildup-Buildup-Payoff. Am I the only one that felt this way, or did anyone else have the same feeling?

1 Like

I didn’t choose the thug life.
The thug life chose me.
~ LexCorp worker

3 Likes

Its one of many people not understanding the context of the quotes;

“He has the power to wipe out the entire human race and if we believe there is even a one percent chance that he is our enemy, we have to take it”

This does not mean that its an actual one percent chance, it is merely Batman justifying his actions by saying that the potential for Superman to turn on humanity should be considered and acted upon. This percentage for Superman to turn is in Batman’s mind 100% when he’s shown a vision of the future and told by a being from the future that he was always right about Batman.

While yes, the movie is absolutely terribly written and Batman doesn’t have a logical reason for attacking Superman, only an emotional one, for a majority of the movie. You can understand where the quote was coming from

I tried to do it by proxy. Shoot the car they’re in, the car blows up or the grenade would go off in the guy’s hand, or when he shoots the tank and the guy pretty much lights the tank [himself]. I perceive it as him not killing directly, but if the bad guy’s are associated with a thing that happens to blow up, he would say that that’s not really my problem. - Zack Snyder

Its excuses like this one that you hear in court’s, when a serial killer is trying to justify their actions. In this case, its murder because the intention is to recklessly endanger and kill, a majority of his actions being planned-out such as when he chooses to shoot the gas tank and burn a person alive. Remember when he planned to jump through the floor and attack an entire room of people? Well those actions were pre-meditated murder.

As @Wandering_Wind_Waffle explained here, Batman’s actions are murders.

====

The issue is that because Batman kills, he has no reason to leave any of the rogues gallery alive. Why does he let Lex Luthor live who blew up a building with people inside - yet murders hired thugs who were likely just put somewhere and told to ‘shoot at anything that comes through the doors’

The film has shot itself in the foot, in that we have no motivations that make sense. No real justification for the character’s actions explained in the film and no reason why a lot of the problems between characters couldn’t have been solved by just talking to one another. Civil War is going to tackle this, as it has Captain America and Iron Man try to talk multiple times throughout the film, even during fights one side is always shown in the trailers offering a chance for the other side to step down.

1 Like

Technically it’s not murder nor manslaughter, it’s killing. :smile:

Except he plans everything, so its murder :stuck_out_tongue:

As mentioned, there is no way that he didn’t plan the warehouse attack. He had Alfred helping co-ordinate and its clear he knew the layout of the building and a rough idea of how many criminals were inside, where they would be located, what they would be up to and how best to take them down in the most brutal ways.

We had the Superman fight demonstrate this, and his intention was definitely to kill Superman, its only because he snapped out of it that he didn’t.

2 Likes

Those definitions are pretty screwy. Especially since there are two kinds of murder. There’s your usual run of the mill murder (the act of killing and having full knowledge of what you’re doing), and then there’s premeditated murder (planning to kill then enacting said plans). Either way, Batman IS murdering those people. He might not be premeditating his homicidal actions, but he’s still doing it and he’s aware that he’s doing it while he’s doing it.

2 Likes

10/10 best movie.

10 Likes

I think my largest complaint is that they offed Mercy. I mean, you can’t have Lex Luthor without Mercy. That’s like DCAU Joker killing Harley Quinn right after we meet her. It’s just not right.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure Mercy wasn’t in the comics originally, she was from the DCAU and then got brought to the comics, just like Harley was.

1 Like