The DC Universe

But look.
The TV shows are better than the movies, let’s be honest.
At least for the most part.

5 Likes

At this stage I’ve kind of given up hope on the DCEU turning out a good movie. Suicide Squad had potential but like many of the others those in charge didn’t understand the characters and made changes to the movie in many aspects that ultimately stripped it of its directors vision.

5 Likes

OK, that’s what I thought. I cant understand the need to recast Flash, then (although I think Grant Gustin makes a great Barry Allen, from what I’ve seen of the show).

I agree with @Tarvaax that the separation is a little confusing, though. I’m not really a DC buff, but if Marvel did something like that, I’d be very annoyed (even though they also pay less attention to their TV shows by having sort of a “one-way” connection solely from TV to movies, rather than vice versa).

Back onto the DCEU, though, I do think it’s unfortunate that they seem to be so off-track with their movies. Like I said, even though I’m not necessarily a fan of DC, I wouldn’t want their attempt to make a cinematic universe to be remembered as a poor copy of Marvel’s. At the very least, they should be equal, but it seems DC’s philosophy is ruining the chances of that…

2 Likes

It’s kind of like an anti-Marvel really. Marvel gives directors a good amount of creative control but also makes sure they stay in line with the universe. DC seems to be trying to give the directors less control and trying to have a larger influence on the films.

2 Likes

True and from friends and comments I’ve heard by others, the extended/directors cut of several of these films is an improvement over the theatrical release. Granted its unlikely to fix all the problems as a lot was probably messed with by DC or Warner Bros during filming, however it does go to show that the studio is having quite a large affect on the quality of the films.

Honestly i feel that if Wonder Woman is received negatively also, then Justice League may actually end up underperforming or being a flop due to the prior movies making the general audience dislike the DCEU.

4 Likes

I really do not care if DC turns out crud, I am not invested in it at all and could care less. But I am worried if this will impact the Superhero genre as a whole.

3 Likes

This ^

People often talk about the idea of Superhero Fatigue as a theory that if we get a bunch of Superhero films then less people will watch them as they’ll be bored of them or that the films will be repetitive. However i feel it’ll be more along those lines based on the idea of quality.

If the DCEU continues to turn out movies that are of average or poor quality then this could negatively affect the general audience who may not make the distinction between the Superhero studios (Marvel, DC, Fox, Sony, etc…)

4 Likes

Exactly, And I would hate to see the MCU end because some other studio could not get their stuff together.

We’re not. He asked a question about the movies being related to the shows. That’s related to the topic.

I’ve said it time and again, but DC really needs to do full blown theatrical releases of their movies. I mean, most of those are universally loved by critics and fans, and if Seth Rogen’s new film is any indicator people aren’t afraid of PG-13 to R rated animation anymore.

2 Likes

Geoff Johns is now in charge of the DCEU.

That doesn’t mean he can undo all the damage or become Kevin Feige.

2 Likes

Can we please just dream? The current reality is depressing enough for us DC fans.

I don’t know why they are keeping Snyder. My DCEU dream team to be in charge of the movie’s universe: Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Geoff Johns, Ben Affleck, Grant Morrison, James Wan, Phil Lord & Chris Miller, George Miller, and @Jon.

3 Likes

#Grant4MOS2

3 Likes

YESSSSS. WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING.

2 Likes

Since the Harley movie seems like it’s gonna be a dumpster fire, they need him and Dini.

What? No. That’s not true at all.

1. Besides being the source material for all of the movies, the actual movie studio, Marvel Studios, was already active and making bank before Disney bought them at all in the first place. Disney’s brilliance is knowing when something they have works, and just funding it to make even more money in return. But Marvel Studios was by and large an indie studio, and the plans for the Marvel Cinematic Universe were already set in stone before Disney took over. Disney didn’t even get distribution rights until the Avengers, I believe - you can clearly see the Paramount logo on all of the movies up until The First Avengers.
  2. Disney would not be accused of being an monopoly if they bought DC. First off, DC is owned by Time Warner, and is probably not going to be let go anytime soon. Secondly, getting a license to a popular franchise is not the same as having a monopoly on an industry. Especially in the film industry, with their multiple franchises owned by many, many different companies. Nobody had claims of monopoly when Disney also bought Lucasfilm - that’s because they’re not monopolizing the market. Maybe the closest thing to an monopoly they would have would be over the comics industry - but that industry has been one with very few regulations to date, and the prevalence of creator owned comics through Image has really downplayed the Big Two’s dominance.

Is that true? I heard Goyer wasn’t on the table, but Snyder had a role in writing Wonder Woman. Would he really be this hands off on a movie he’s actively directing?

Suicide Squad was pretty bad. I don’t think it was as of a trainwreck as Batman v Superman, but it definitely wasn’t the Guardians-style, saving grace that DC needed. As far as I’m concerned, the DCEU is dead in the water. You can’t save it. Have Justice League end in a Crisis and just reboot the whole thing. You can’t continue to build a skyscraper if the foundation crumbles every time you look at it.

12 Likes

Pretty much what I see it as.

6 Likes

Close. Iron Man 3 was the last MCU film to use the Paramount logo, with Thor: The Dark World being the first to use the MARVEL Studios Fanfare only.

If the Batflek movie stinks then I’ll agree. Until then there is still some small sliver of hope.

1 Like

Are you sure that the Batman movie will even work? if the rest are total trash, then who is gonna want to see another?