The Elder Scrolls

Lorkhan is the unknowable creator/destroyer of everything

3 Likes

Adding to this, the moons are his remains. They just look like moons because mortals can’t comprehend what they actually look like.

What I’m saying is–you’re in for an awesomely weird ride with TES. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Wait, they are? I never knew that.

3 Likes

The more you read about TES lore, the crazier it gets. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It gets even more crazy. I recommend NOT looking up CHIM, because it’ll just break immersion while you’re playing TES.

2 Likes

Sentient Lizard-like tree saps amirite

U N’wah.

CHIM is lief.

2 Likes

It’s nice as an explanation for plot holes and things like dragon breaks, but it really killed my ability to be immersed in the TES world for a long time after extensively researching it. It renders all the interesting people you meet and all you do in TES null and void, because everyone actually isn’t everyone. They’re just one, and that one is dreaming everything up.

3 Likes

CHIM is one of those things that, the less i look at it, the less it affects me :b

3 Likes

I got better and I’m able to play TES games and enjoy them like I did before without issue recently, but sometimes something just makes me remember and it throws me into a slight funk again.

Honestly, I think it’s possible for them to amend the whole CHIM explanation to make it more player friendly and still function as it did before. Just make the “godhead” something metaphorical, so that individuals are still individuals. Maybe twist it around and make the reason people zero sum a result of them being incapable of properly handling the knowledge they’ve acquired.

3 Likes

That’s one way to look at it, I guess. I’d say it’s less that they literally are all the same, and more that they’re all individual parts of the Godhead, in whose mind the TES universe exists. It’s a concept derived from Budhist philosophy–a lot of TES seems to have Eastern influences.

4 Likes

It’s funny to think that even though Talos achieved CHIM, he didn’t use it to repair his vocal chords so he could use the Thu’um again. Actually, he could have done a lot. He was lazy with his power.

3 Likes

Well, there’s more to CHIM than just absolute power. It also involves becoming “one with everything” or whatever, which means that if you achieve it, you’ll take into account what everyone else wants before you act, and won’t necessarily care about your personal needs. At least, I think. XD

2 Likes

Tiber Septim didn’t really seem to care about the needs and feelings of others when he had that affair with Barenziah, amirite?

2 Likes

I don’t think he had CHIM at that point, though, unless I’m mistaken. The Arcturian Heresy makes things really complicated. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Worse than CHIM is the knowledge that there are 2 similar concepts that sometimes overlap (and often are just considered another part of CHIM)

I got that from some lore book. I forget where though.

I make a point of reading every book (even using pc console to pause so I can read snippets of black-books) So they start to blur pretty quickly.

No one can forget Vivec’s 36 “Sermons” though (honestly though half of them are just memes in book form)

3 Likes

That good ol’ part with Vivec and Molag Bal.

I think my favorite books are the little fantasy novels though. I really liked reading “The Wood Cutter’s Wife” and “The Cabin in the Woods”. I read it early on when I first started playing Skyrim, and I remember always looking behind me at night feeling spooked constantly, thinking there might be a jumpscare or something.

2 Likes

Iv’e been thinking about getting Morrowind. Is it worth it? What’s it like compared to Skyrim?

I was just starting to forget about CHIM :cry:.

3 Likes

It’s heavier on the RPG side. The combat is a lot more dice-rolly at the start, you’re given directions in your journal on where to go, early levels are punishing but you get OP if you play long enough, stats are important and you can’t change your character build on a whim without the game chewing you up and spitting you out for the error of your ways.

It’s certainly fun and has a much better story than Skyrim, you just can’t expect to kill things without being smart about it (unlike Skyrim).

4 Likes

The gameplay is pretty outdated, but once you get used to it, it’s fine. The environments are much more diverse than those in Skyrim, and the world feels more “alive” in a sense–there are about a dozen notable factions who have a complex web of political relationships with each other. It feels a lot more realistic than Skyrim’s “choose one side or the other” approach to the Civil War.

It also has more quest variety and less dungeon diving, which, imo, makes it more fun to play.

4 Likes

I’ve been playing Skyrim Special Edition and I have to say I greatly respect the improvements made.

I’m using the same computer that I used for the old version so I think I can make a good comparison.

• The Load Screens are WAY faster

• There is a WHOLE FREAKING BUNCH more flowers. I really mean it. most Alchemy ingredients have gone from reasonably easy to get to ridiculous levels.

The flowers do make Whiterun Hold look much less like a barren tundra though. Some will like that, others wont.

The actual city of Whiterun definately got improved since now most homes have flower planters in front of them.

• Very few other things got changed but I have noticed many bugs got removed only to be replaced by new ones.

• The God-rays got significantly improved in comparison to Fallout 4. (No longer pixelated and no longer lag inducing)

• Obviously the graphics got improved. They are now comparable to some of the less over-the-top texture mods for the old game.

• The lighting is leaps and bounds improved. It actually surpasses most mods since you don’t get the effect of stupidly increased Darkness and light.

That’s all I’ve got to say for now but I’ve only played 11 hours.

3 Likes