The Game Theorists (+ The Film/Food Theorists)

Let’s talk about one of the most overrated channels on YouTube, The Game Theorists.

Though MatPat has been able to release a few good theories in recent memory, a pretty decent number of his videos are just painstakingly awful messes (The Ace Attorney video and the Mario is Mental videos are probably the best examples of this.)

The rest of the channel (besides Deadlock and Game Lab) is alright. Nearly all of the Game Exchange (Now Cultureshock) episodes are fun and interesting, and Break Down is pretty cool.

13 Likes

I’m getting the impression that overall MatPat puts more effort into the videos that most of his audience care about. If less are really invested he seems to check is facts less.

5 Likes

I used to really like Game Theory. Then I realized most of Matpats stuff is bull crap, and I don’t watch it too much anymore. Same goes for Film Theory.

5 Likes

Matpat sold out, that’s all there is to it. His beginning videos were good, but he went down the FNAF hole and everything turned into nonsense.

6 Likes

I kinda avoid MatPat’s stuff now, the theory that broke me was “halo’s fatal flaw” as the thumbnail said, which wasn’t even the point of the video since the video was talking about how a spartan being punched in the back will kill them, which is a whole stupidly convoluted theory where he does “research” into how the armor works to make something up on how they die so fast to a punch to the back, when all he had to do was notice how freaking strong spartans are, like, punching tanks to death? thats game stuff too, they’re much stronger in lore.

The other series are alright, Culture shock is pretty good, though Gaijin made a video saying Decidueye is of mexican origin when everyone else figured out he isn’t.
And deadlock is pretty meh, I know a lot of people really disliked the overwatch VS TF2 one cause a lot of facts were wrong.

3 Likes

I have to be honest. The FNAF videos are his best these days. They’re the ones the get all his time and attention. The problem isn’t that he sold out. The problem is that he’s stretched himself too far.

I also think it’s worth mentioning that MatPat started covering FNAF because his fans told him to. FNAF itself is irrelevant to MatPat’s apparent inability to spend the same amount of time on each theory he works on.

3 Likes

That video really pissed me off. It may seem silly, but what annoyed me the most was the fact that he compared it to FNAF, seemingly just because that is the big shiny thing that gets all the views.

I do really dislike the Overwatch/TF2 Deadlock.

Having played a bunch of both games, it is just badly researched.

I will admit that I watch his FNAF videos. Saying nothing of the community, the series of games are legitimately interesting to me, and his theories provide a nice little dose spooki lore every now and then…

3 Likes

That’s actually the one video I liked.

He actually took the time to ask an expert in armor design and the theory makes any sense at all.

I’ve never seen him go that far again to make a video, which really makes his entire channel feel cheap.

1 Like

I watch the game theories every once in a while. While some of them have noticeable flaws and leaps in logic, not to mention they make no sense or he just did not properly explain things. (His latest Fnaf theory)

I certainly think he has a place on youtube, and his content is enjoyable. But he does seem to have a lot more questionable theories now. [quote=“EvilLobsterKing, post:7, topic:30583”]
the most was the fact that he compared it to FNAF, seemingly just because that is the big shiny thing that gets all the views.
[/quote]

Well, yeah. FNAF is what boosted him in views and popularity. He explained it that way (even though it was wrong) to help some viewers grasp what he was talking about.

3 Likes

I get why he did it, it just rubbed me the wrong the way. It was more of the final straw, that got me to unsubscribe.

In the Batman v. Superman Film Theory, putting aside the fact he assumed that a Kryptonian is just a real strong human, he based that entirely off Superman carrying that rocket was the extent of his strength…

3 Likes

I didn’t like the Ace Attorney video because a lot of the stuff he mentioned can be explained in game.

2 Likes

Also how he kinda just threw his hands in the air and pretty much gave up on Salad fingers, not bothering to explain a important character (or whatever that was)

I haven’t seen that one, but it seems inline with the “character” he plays.

Speaking of which, this video actually made me think…
Language Warning Type Dealio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RyDX6kZVNc

2 Likes

his halo video (the fatal flaw), from the comments alone, seems to fall apart very easily

also his lack of knowledge when it came to transformers, their timelines and such annoyed me, should’ve done more research for that one

7 Likes

Matpat and his crew are cool in my opinion. I respect them for the stuff they do. The theories are pretty hit and miss, but with that in mind, I usually stay pretty optimistic and just watch for entertainment.

9 Likes

One of the worst theory I’ve seen was that Ness>Sans thing…

And the worst part is that Toby Fox actually respond to it with a harsh reply to kill the theory.

I still find him to be entertaining but his content is still stale at the moment.

7 Likes

I do enjoy most of his theories, but some of them a bit of stretch and require a great deal of suspension of disbelief.

I used to like him a lot. Especially the older videos that used math a lot.

Ever since the second FNAF video his quality dropped to that of a conspiracy theorist’s.

2 Likes

Another reason I don’t like Game Theory is because Matpat treats his THEORY’S like fact. For example, in one of his videos after the Sans=Ness video, he calls Undertale a fan game of Earthbound, even though that was not canonized by the creator of Undertale.

4 Likes

Um, no he doesn’t?

It’s inspired by Earthbound, that doesn’t mean it’s supposed to be in the same universe.

1 Like