The Game Theorists (+ The Film/Food Theorists)

But when MatPat says something like “definitive” and “absolutely”, it’s basically stating that the theory itself is a fact. Though his use of such words are more or less hyperbolic and non-serious, numerous members of his fanbase have taken such statements to heart, believing his hypotheses are 100% true.

Do I think this is completely his fault? Of course not, but his use of absolutes don’t help the matter.

10 Likes

Oh, totally, I remember there was a thing on the TF2 forums to stop asking if Pyro is a homosexual man.

3 Likes

Skip to 2:33 and 5:18

“Undertale itself has it’s origins as a fan game of earthbound.”

What he said is 100% correct, and it wasn’t even relating to his theory at all. Toby Fox is a huge fan of Earthbound, and Undertale is inspired by it.

That was a little something we like to call a joke, buddy.

5 Likes

I’ve thought this is the real problem for some time. If you just watch his videos without taking them too seriously, they can be perfectly entertaining. They only get annoying if you actually buy into the crazier things he says, which a lot of his fans seem to.

8 Likes

I used to enjoy watching Game Theory back in 7th grade. MatPat was entertaining, but I’ve just grown tired of his content.

4 Likes

Honestly I love everything about Game Theory! I watch GTLive every once in a while, the commentary on the videos is funny, things like crossover and culture shock are quite interesting, game lab has a great idea to it but sadly it’s on youtube red. Deadlock is also kind of cool because Matpat goes against other youtubers and even video game designers! On film theory I don’t watch much besides the theories so not much I know of there, but the ideas behind the theories is something I love.

But this is just my opinion.

Meh.
That’s all I can really say.
Although I have enjoyed a lot of MatPat’s recent theories.

i actually enjoy film theory more than game theory for some reason

I loved Game Theory but the channel really went into a ditch since the first fnaf ugh theory.

2 Likes

I never liked GameTheory.
I wasn’t around for the way beginning, but most of the videos seemed too click-bait-y.
Then came FNAF, among other things, which totally turned me off.
I like GaijinGoomba and his vids, but it’s Matpat’s stuff that keeps me from subscribing.
I’m sure MatPat is an ok dude, but MAAAN I hate his voice. It’s so obnoxious and grating, especially when he’s in full theorist mode (throwing ‘absolutely’ and 'definite’s around).

1 Like

One thing I like about Matpat is that he’s aware of his negative feedback and vaguely reference his past for examples for his current videos.

I used to like Game theory, but now I just find it annoying. My biggest problem is that I feel MatPat is making the majority of his videos just to promote something and/or get a sponsor for an episode.

And I am going to get this out of the way now: I freaking hate Deadlock. That Dark Souls episode was awful. Dark Souls is not terrible just because the life ring description has a freaking typo. And I hear the TF2 Vs. Overwatch episode didn’t fair well at all.

Getting back on point: I liked Film theory at first, but it fell into the same issue as game theory for me: Making videos to promote stuff.

I don’t mind YouTubers getting sponsors or doing promotions, but when they become common; I become irratated. It may not be as common as I think, but it’s common enough for me to remember to bring it up.

4 Likes

That TF2 vs Overwatch Deadlock was just annoying.

Having played both games for a considerable amount of time, it was honestly difficult to watch. The whole episode really felt like it was written by someone who hadn’t played either game…

4 Likes

I mostly stayed cause of Gaijin Goomba, not gonna lie. He seems more genuine and less mainstream media elitist-ish…and he takes the persona of a video game mook as his avatar, which makes it even more amusing.

How strange, i stick being subscribe to channels with users that are more genuine and themselves (ya know, what YOUtube should be about) and leave those that have less genuine and honest personas…hope not the only one having this feeling.

Everyone has basically said my thoughts, so I’m pretty much in agreement that these videos have gone downhill. This channel is honestly just the butt of jokes at this point, I don’t have interest in any of it. The only thing I will say is that I don’t believe he “sold out”, I just think he got lazy and his videos have become dumber and dumber as a result.

2 Likes

why give the pope undertale

4 Likes

Because as we all know, Undertale is the perfect embodiment of Gaming and it’s culture…

Right…?

4 Likes