The History Discussion Topic

Not to mention, the Catholic Church didn’t start the HRE for about 400 years after the Western Roman Empire fell apart (or 300 years if you consider the HRE to have started with Charlemagne, who really got the ball rolling himself, without the Church). And the connection between the Church and the HRE was somewhat superficial, especially after the Renaissance–it was always under German/Frankish control. While Roman ideas and a few institutions (actually, Catholicism is the only one I can think of) are still with us today, the Roman Empire itself has been defunct for a very long time. Even if you count the Byzantine Empire, which did continue on its own for quite a while, it was a shell of its former self by the High Middle Ages, and was essentially a city-state when the Turks conquered it in 1453. No direct connection to the ancient Roman government has existed since then.

2 Likes

Let us not forget the Assyrians skinning people and hanging their flesh over the walls of conquered cities!

3 Likes

Yes! So much fun!

1 Like

This is nothing compared to what the early americans did to some Indians.
I won’t even say it, t’was horrible.

1 Like

How about when Peter the Great set fire to the beards of rebels to teach them a lesson?

1 Like

coughInquisition anyone?cough

1 Like

Galileo! He was tried by the Inquisition!

And he got off lightly too.

Fact of the day: Those who died by burning at the stake died as a result of the smoke inhalation, saving them a lot of pain.

1 Like

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANlSH INQUISITION!

5 Likes

What about the Blood Eagle?

Tie him to, the rack!

No, the comfy chair!!!

3 Likes

God I love Monty Python… They actually go through great lengths to make some of their sketches as accurate as possible. But then there are some skits that are just downright awesome. (See: Argument Clinic)

3 Likes

So I guess this topic is now history… ehh. Get it…

4 Likes

Lol. No way it’s going down in history.

Does anyone remember the Mongols? Ya know, Gengis Kahn and stuff?

2 Likes

NOPE

So the other day I had my History Final

Multiple Choice Question

“What group of individuals was largely responsible for for the spread of the Enlightenment in France?”

Choice A: The Illuminati

I literally lol’d in class. :laughing:

6 Likes

No. No one currently living was alive at the same time as Genghis Khan. XD

(But yeah, they were beastly and such.)

A yes, Crash Course History. One of my favorite helpers to understand history.

2 Likes

Ah! I loved the Mongols! Especially how they would pour molten silver into the ears of…

Never mind :stuck_out_tongue:

Mongols < Samurai + Lewa’s Nova Blast.
@Maethorneth approves of this course of events.