The Kojol Chronicles

Entry I:
We Makuta were created by the Great Spirit just a few days ago, and already I am sick of most of them. Their incessant squabbling hinders the amount of work I am able to finish. Dumb brutes like Icarax are destroying nearly anything they can, and sadly our most intelligent members are our stupidest when it comes to the bigger picture. Only one, Teridax, has escaped these terrible character flaws. One of our number, Miserix, was appointed our leader. A decent fellow nonetheless, but very ignorant. He doesn’t realize the small things that make me feel contempt for my brothers: at least not until they are right in front of his face. It will be interesting to see how he handles major conflict, but considering our brethren, I doubt I will be waiting for long.

Entry II:
Makuta are not diplomats. In an embarrassing show,(Icarax) the Makuta have ravaged part of Xia, but we have managed to lower the trade costs.(Albeit without too much disruption) However, a new problem appears on the horizon. A group of Barraki have begun attempts of “negotiations”, which sound more like open ended threats. Obviously they have never fought a Makuta. Miserix has decided to keep an eye on them, but refrains from interfering. On an unrelated note, I am enjoying my mask of suggestion, which allows me to plant ideas into the minds of whomever I chose. I have been inflicting Spiriah with repeated thoughts of greatness, enabling him to make much greater mistakes. Perhaps one day I will introduce an inferiority complex and crush his already fragile ego.

Entry III:
Much has happened since last I wrote. The League of Six Kingdoms mounted a full frontal assault on the brotherhood, but their efforts were crippled by Teridax’s forces. He moved with a swift hand that crushed the Barraki. Coincidentally, the Barraki disappeared upon interrogation. No one knows what happened to them, but I heard a rumor that they were teleported away by a terrifying gold being. Not too long after, the Matoran of Metru Nui broke out into a civil war. Never before had the universe seen such a great conflict in the heart of the Great Spirit, nor had it ever seen such a waste of precious resources and lives. This war likely could have been prevented, providing that Metru Nui actually had decent leadership. Naturally, the Brotherhood intervened, but not in a good way. Teridax, whom I had previously thought highly of, had apparently locked the guilty parties in a pen full of vicious Rahi. This is an outrage. Never in the history of the universe had something as horrid as this been attributed to the peacekeepers of the world. This has stained the image of the Brotherhood of Makuta for sure. Miserix has taken a wise course of action and decided to appoint responsible Makuta to different regions to regulate conflict. Perhaps I shall once more use my mask to give Spiriah an island. I would be amused to see the results.

Entry IV:
I am the happiest I have ever been. Miserix has decided to appoint me as the Makuta of Artakha. (Although I may have given him the idea.) Now that I am Bios away from my idiotic comrades, I can finally concentrate on my Rahi masterpieces. I am currently working on a beautiful winged specimen, I plan to introduce it to the wild around Artakha soon. I’m thinking of calling it a Proto Drake. The only downside of this arrangement is getting to know the “benevolent ruler” Artakha. He thinks so highly of himself, he refuses to meet me in person, instead insisting upon using letters to communicate. Miserix said to keep quiet, but upon my arrival, I found Artakha’s first letter. He is truly a powerful being, but I question whether his reputation comes from his greatness or fear. I report to Miserix yearly, simply to assure him that nothing is wrong at paradise. However, he refuses to acknowledge my suspicions of Artakha, particularly one regarding a “Mask of Light”. Who is right, only time will tell.

Entry V:
My opinion of Artakha has shifted dramatically. After my last memo, he sent a letter that explained so much. He has told me never to share these details with anyone, and even to keep his island’s location a secret. I have no doubts that if I fail to comply, I will be keeping secrets no longer through my eternal silence. He wrote of an Order of Mata Nui, an organization preceding the Brotherhood of Makuta, and of it’s intent. He voiced his distrust of the Brotherhood, which I fully supported after spending most of my life with those buffoons. I know not whether my change of mind has come through my own will, or through some outside force, although I would not discount the second option. Artakha has encouraged me to asssist with the Order’s efforts by creating a virus capable of eating metal. Either through fear or friendship, I agreed. His instructions were oddly specific, claiming I should not finish it, but leave the instructions to do so out. Perhaps for my own safety? Artakha is certainly not the tyrant I thought he might be, but he is certainly a mysterious character.

Entry VI:
I am panicking, something a Makuta does not normally do. Not long before I finished work on the armor-eating virus, I received a message from Teridax, claiming he had usurped Miserix and was scheming against the great spirit himself. Most of our brothers had chosen to follow him, and he encouraged me to do the same. I had never particularly liked Miserix, but ai knew what Teridax was capable of. I wrote back pledging my allegiance, but I knew he wouldn’t accept it. He demands that I meet him in person, and I have no choice but to oblige him. I fear he will discover the location of the island soon, and even my best efforts could not halt the oncoming storm. So I leave soon to depart for Destral to report the year to Teridax. I fear I may not return, so I leave the completed virus in my dwelling, and will be sending these writings to you, Artakha. I wish I had time to write more, but time eludes me. War rests on the horizon, I suggest preparing.
Farewell, Artakha, hopefully not for the last time.
-Kojol

Entry VII: Final Entry
To Whom it may concern:
Thank you for your writings. Unfortunately this is where positivity ends. After receiving your last letter I prepared for war. Little did I know that you would be leading the opposing force. I already know that you stole the Avohkii, but I am not concerned about it’s safety, the Order plans to recover it as I write. This is not all. I have learned that Teridax has convinced you to align with him by inserting his essence into your body. For reasons I do not know, you have not yet disclosed to him the location of my island, perhaps some part of you remains. However, I can take no chances. The Order has dispatched Tobduk, a top-notch assassin who will kill you with the very virus you created. They have already created an “accident” for you. You will never read this, but I feel your memory should be honored. These writings will be preserved, to cleanse your reputation after this has resolved. Even though we never met, I will miss you dearly, my friend.
Mata Nui bless you Kojol.
-Artakha

This was a series of “diary” entries I made to help fill out Kojol’s character. None of this is canon!
If any of this contradicts something in the books or web serials, please let me know, I want to make this story compatible with the original canon storyline.
This was done in conjunction with my Makuta Kojol MoC I am making for Gilahu’s Book of the Brotherhood Project. My Moc will hopefully be put up soon.

If I accidentally made an error with timeline or canon, or if I could have done something better, please let me know!

6 Likes

Stumbled across this and decided to mention a few things in case you plan to add this to Kojol’s project entry:

Considering they just existed for a few days this sounds a little extreme. Maybe complaining about lacking dedication or impatience might fit better.

I don’t think Makuta need masks for that. Teridax managed to implement the idea of getting the Ignika into the Piraka’s minds, after all. Probably through the use of Telepathy, maybe in combination with Illusion.

Also seems a little extreme to me personally. Toa? Vortixx? Skakdi? Sure. But another Makuta…

Actually they prepared to attack the Great Spirit (probably through Metru Nui?) and the Brotherhood’s attack took the Barraki completely by surprise.

Karda Nui would be the “heart” of the Great Spirit Robot, Metru Nui rather is atop the brain (which no one in the Matoran Universe knew at that point, though).

Kojol really shouldn’t have cared too much about that - after all he later personally led the Raid on Artakha when Teridax asked him to be stealthy.

Actually Kojol apparently was one of teh few beings to “know Artakha”. Which implies to me that they actually met.

Seems a bit early for any Makuta to consider the Avohkii a potential problem.

Kojol rather did that on his own in order to gain more influence within the Brotherhood.

Never would Artakha have told a Makuta about the Order of Mata Nui. There’s no way Kojol could have known about the Order, after all he was one of Teridax’s most important associates in making the Plan work.

So basically this letter was like “I don’t trust you and your brethren. Here are a few highly guarded secrets.”
Understand why this doesn’t work? :wink:

The virus always rather seemed to be something Kojol developed on his own to me - and also way later.

To be a little more specific - between Teridax taking over the Brotherhood and Kojol wanting to turn his armor-eating virus into a weapon lay more than 70,000 years.

Kojol was at the Convocation like every Makuta. Since he also played an important role in the Plan - helping develop the virus that would put Mata Nui to sleep - I’d also consider him quite willing to strike at Mata Nui and quite loyal to Teridax.

…:sweat: Sorry, but this is just… weird, as well as most of the previous entry.

Overall Kojol is described as rather arrognat and obnoxious in canon - traits I don’t really see anymore during the second half of entries. The beginning is quite nice, but the end strays a little far from canon lore in my opinion.

Hopefully I could help you, though.

On a sidenote - a while back I discussed the hierarchy within the Brotherhood in the project topic a bit. There I said that I see Kojol as head of the Rahi creators - which mostly involves speaking in the name of all Rahi creators at councils, I guess. Mutran or Chirox might have been alternatives, but I figured both of them didn’t care enough for this position to want it.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. After writing this, I knew it was not the best thing I have written by a longshot. I am, by far, at my best when writing with characters with little to no history, but Kojol was weird. I took a few liberties with his character, seeing as the only perspective we saw him from was Mutran, who wasn’t exactly unbiased in his description. Aside from that, most of my writing was extrapolation. I figured that since Artakha was a paradise void of all evil, that Artakha would try to change Kojol’s mind, almost redeem him, and later Teridax “mind controlled” Kojol. This was a risky move, and It definitely could have gone better. And I actually despised entry 7, since I am not good at writing in first person, and Artakha was very hard to interpret. Plus writing a letter to a person who is dead or soon to be, seems pointless in hindsight.

Regarding his mask, thank you for clearing that up for me. In the general lore, it seems like mind reading extends beyond just reading minds, but I wasn’t sure. Maybe his mask could be instruction, (If he decides he wants to do or build something, the mask guides him on the most ideal path)? I’m not great at coming up with mask powers, maybe since so many are already covered.

Lastly, Kojol is finished, unfortunately I am away from home right now, but I’ll put him up on Sunday.

1 Like

I just had the idea that a Mask of Incomprehension might maybe fit Kojol.

I like the sound of that! So does his mask “dumb down” whoever it’s used on?”

Not exactly - here’s a description:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/Kanohi/Other_Kanohi#Mask_of_Incomprehension

Ok. Coincidentally, that looks similar to the head I made for him. (I’m pretty sure I’m better at MoCing than fleshing our a story.)
:grin:

1 Like