The Last Memories - Onua's Short Story

This is a Short Story I wrote called the Last Memories, a short narrative by Toa Mata Onua.

(Anyone know how to center images and stuff?)

The Last Memories

Onua silently listened for the fifth click that would indicate the rest of his team had entered stasis within the Toa Canisters. He had made sure to close his only half way so the stasis would not activate.
Tahu, the leader of the team, and Kopaka, the self-proclaimed deputy, had brought them here and ordered them to get inside these strange ‘Toa Transports.’
He trusted that the Toa of Fire would not lie, but the big question that had come to Onua’s mind when he had been told to get inside was, “What if Tahu and Kopaka had made a mistake?”
He sat there in his canister pondering this, “What if we’re never released from our sleep within the transports? What if we’re needed, but nobody can call us for help? The world might crumble to dust around us, and we might never even know; or worse, what if we die here? What if something comes while we sleep and slays us? Who would be left to protect the Matoran and the Great Spirit?”
Onua’s thoughts were interrupted by something unexpected; a voice that said, “Onua, Toa Mata of Earth.”
Onua froze, and then after a moment of silence he said, “What? W-who said that?”
The voice replied, “It was I.”
Onua looked around, and even though he didn’t see anyone, he whispered, “Mata Nui?”
He wasn’t sure how he knew, but somehow he did; the voice that had spoken to him had been the Great Spirit.
The voice spoke again, “Onua, wise Toa Mata of Earth. You seek answers to your questions, do you not?”
Onua stammered a little, and then replied, “Y-yes.”
The voice said, “You are very wise to consider these things before you simply obey orders.”
Onua smiled a little and thought, “So I am right! Tahu and Kopaka were wrong!”
The voice continued, “But you are losing sight of something. The reasons you were brought into being; Unity, Duty, and Destiny.”
Onua had heard these three things said many times. They were the three virtues that the Matoran lived by. He too had tried to live by them, but Onua had never fully understood what they meant or what their significance was.
The voice continued, “You are so concerned with accomplishing your duty as a Toa, that you have forgotten your destiny.”
Onua thought for a moment and replied, “Which is…?”
The voice replied, “Only by following all three of the virtues can you accomplish your purpose. Your brothers and sister will stay in stasis until they are needed. In order to follow the virtues, you must go with them so you can achieve unity, to accomplish your duty and-”
As Onua understood what this was leading up to, he finished, “…and to fulfill my destiny.”
The voice replied, “Yes, now you begin to see. As I have said before, you are very wise Onua. Through that wisdom you will save your brothers from doom many a time in the future.”
Onua listened in surprise, he had always seen himself as one of the less important members of the team, not a good leader like Tahu and Kopaka, or as good at keeping the peace like Gali.
The voice spoke up again, “Being humble is a great strength Onua, even stronger than your Kanohi Pakari, but never let that humbleness cause you to look upon yourself as unimportant. Evil will triumph when the good do nothing. And to answer another question that you are certainly thinking, you will not remember anything when you arrive at your destination, except your name.”
Onua was saddened by this, but the voice continued, “But one day you shall return here, and your memories will be restored. And now Onua, you must seal your canister, and wait to fulfill your destiny, and I must go.”
Onua quickly said, “Wait, I have another question. When you first spoke to me, you called me a Toa ‘Mata.’ Why?”
The voice replied, “It is an ancient word, few know it’s meaning, or even understand it. Loosely translated, it means ‘Spirit.’ Think of it as the opposite of Piraka.”
Onua full well knew what Piraka meant; it was a great insult meaning, ‘a thief and a murderer.’ To be referred to as the opposite of it was a great honor.
The voice spoke again, “And now Toa, I must go.”
Onua said, “Wait, don’t go yet! I have so many more questions to ask!”
But the voice did not reply. If Onua had worn the Kanohi Elda, the mask of Detection, he would have realized that Mata Nui’s presence was still there, but he was simply not answering.
Onua sighed, and then held up a razor-sharp claw, “Perhaps I won’t remember anything,” said the Toa of Earth, “but this canister can remember for me.”
He began to etch a sentence into the wall, and if Mata Nui could have smiled in his current form, he would have done so. The sentence read, “Evil triumphs when the good do nothing.”
Mata Nui silently thought to himself, “Wise Onua. He did not choose to remember his past, nor his meeting with me, or even the pride of knowing he would fill an important role in the future. He instead chose to remember his destiny.”
Onua etched one last pair of words underneath that read, “Mata: ‘Spirit.’
And with that, he placed his weapons in a compartment and twisted the handle above his head, sealing his canister. He felt dizzy for a moment, and then fell into a deep sleep as the Great Spirit watched over him…

12 Likes

Wow. That title and everything. It reminds me of Greg Farshtey’s story serials.
You know, a great place to post this story would be the Custom Bionicle Wiki. That is where I store my writings, and you can use Wikia’s system to make the story look a lot better.

Just a suggestion. :wink:

I’ve never really liked using the Custom Bionicle Wiki. It’s kinda cluttered with all the different fanfics going on. Thanks for the suggestion though! Glad you like it :smile:

that was awesome. it sent shivers down my spine reading it, and I can definitely see this happening in the actual universe.

I’ve got more. I’ll post them. :smile:

Amazing! Definitely keep posting stories.

This was amazing and deep. Keep writing more.

Well written. Very well written.

Dude, you should post it on TTV’s wiki.

Rise and another member I don’t care to remember made it

Hehehe… That was funny. Was my original idea to make the wiki, @Chronicler kinda took over from there with it.

Wait… Chronicler???

ERMAGERSH!!!

TTV wiki?? Why would it be necessary to create such a thing? :stuck_out_tongue:

Because boredom.

3 Likes

It was suppose to be a database about the people on the boards here and to chronicle the major events of the boards and all.

Suppose to.

2 Likes

this was great

Absolutely fantastic. Loving how this could easily fit in canon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! There are several others that I’ve written that are also intended to fit into the canon story! :slight_smile:

1 Like

“This story, I like it.”

• grabs story and throws in in the ground, only for it to be caught by someone else *
    “Another!” the other being says.
2 Likes

Here’s another :wink:

1 Like

I really like this. Not only does it give some well needed character to what is probably one of the more neglected toa mata, but its also great in its own right. While Mata Nui was still in control of the great spirit robot, and while he was mainly apathetic to the matoran, I can easily imagine him paying more attention to the toa, and caring for them much more than what he saw as the lowly matoran. Then seeing that one of the toa mata, who I’m sure he knew where going to be the most important toa, was distressed, and decided to give him some advice. Overall, I really love this. Though I do have one thing…

How did the toa mata get their masks in the first place? With them being the very first toa team to be created, and the only toa team (to my knowledge) to begin life as toa. So what I’m wondering is how then ended up getting the masks that they did? I’m sure there’s an explanation somewhere, but I only know the plot to a basic extent for everything past 2005.