The Legend of the BIONICLE: Celebrating 20 years of Lego stories

Greetings, everyone. This is my first post here on the TTV message boards, and I"m glad to meet you all.

For this first topic, I want to talk about the “Legend of the Bionicle” Ideas project that recently got 10,000 supporters. Lego did say that they will send it through a review period, but what I want to talk about is, do you think it’ll actually make it? Why or why not?

I want this to be a real Lego set. I really, really do. But I don’t know what other projects have received 10,000 supporters in the past few months, so I have no idea what The Legend Of The Bionicle will have to compete with. Therefore, I cannot form an opinion of my own. But what do you guys think?

3 Likes

I’ve had many thoughts on the topic. In fact, I’ve already posted them in the topic about the project itself. Perhaps you can head over there and talk to Sokoda personally?

It’s here in the topic.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m stupid

Hi and welcome to the boards!

Here you can see all the projects, that are in the next review by now!

I can’t tell you how good our chances are and we won’t know the results for quite a while. But from previous reviews we have seen, that there can be multiple sets in one review phase (or non at all), so it’s not a direct competition between the projects.
I’m happy you like my model! All we can do right now is hope for the best

3 Likes

Okay, I’ve looked at the other projects. And I’m kinda worried. Seinfeld, Home Alone, and Legend of Zelda are all popular properties that have been around much longer than Bionicle. True, there could be multiple projects that pass the review stage, but still. Your project is gonna need some luck.

1 Like

Zelda has been rejected before, so there is that.

Dunno about Seinfeld and Home Alone, but but I think Sokoda’s project has an advantage these don’t, which is no licensing required.

Also, I don’t know if they look at number of comments to judge how popular something is, but.if they do the project has almost 300 more than the second highest number of comments.

1 Like

Don’t forget: Sokoda’s project is one of the fastest Ideas projects ever to reach 10k. This should tell Lego that there is a lot of demand for this set, and those who want it really want it.

3 Likes

I hope you’re right. I have seen a topic asking if Lego disrespects Bionicle, and pretty much every point that the guy who founded the topic was countered. I personally think Lego shares some of our reverence for Bionicle as part of their history. Therefore, they may feel somewhat drawn to releasing this set to commemorate 20 years.

But, unfortunately, there’s the timing. Bionicle G1 was cancelled nine years ago, and G2 lasted only two years and wasn’t even that popular anyway. It just crashed and burned (at least, that’s how I perceived it). Commercially, Lego may not think kids would be interested in a set that commemorated a theme that they probably don’t even know about.

Then again, since when was Ideas explicitly for kids?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was always intended for AFOLs. After all, Ideas had all those licenses for things a kid could have probably never heard about.

2 Likes

That set isn’t from LEGO Ideas though…

Huh. That’s news to me :stuck_out_tongue:

My mistake. Though it really has the aesthetics of one.

2 Likes

I know it’s been said before, but I can’t find it and don’t remember, so for future reference:

When does the next review stage start?

And when can we expect to find out if the set got approved/rejected? (A general estimate at least, I know there’s no exact date)

1 Like

The review stage begins sometime in January 2020. As for when it will finish, I’m not completely sure.

1 Like

Well, on their guidelines page they have this handy little chart :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not much, but something. Considering it was sort of October-November time, it’s safe to say it’s in the third review period, which means we’ll probably see results around May-ish.

8 Likes

According to the official Lego comment it got the review starts early January and the review phase takes “several months”

6 Likes

So we likely won’t see any concrete results until the 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2020.

2 Likes

Announcement might be earlier, but the finished set (if it get’s approved) yeah probably pretty late, but we’ll have to wait and see

4 Likes

That’s probably why Sokoda made sure to create his project right now, in 2019. He knew it would take a while for Lego to make it into a set, and he wanted to make sure the set would come out in 2021.

4 Likes