The "Let's Build Overlord Makuta" Topic

They are now on my own flickr stream! Just a reminder, this model was made by BIONICLE Designer John Ho, he did an awesome job designing this giant.This album also includes some good reference for the MOUP, I got some pictures from straight angles.

Link because Flickr is strange

11 Likes

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You have done so much for us!

2 Likes

hugs

1 Like

Hello. Thanks for the pictures. My only gripe is that it is missing the weapon from his left hand.

There are a few questions that I want to ask relating to the build that I canā€™t really see clearly from the images. What is on the other end of the 3L pin? I am completely unable to figure it out from the images.

http://puu.sh/qXnEv/9150c024db.jpg

Also, how do the golden wings attach to the torso? Does it use the system clip pieces?

1 Like

OK. SO I have started building the model and am about 67% finished.
I need to order a bunch of parts off Bricklink.

But what we need now is graphic designs for stickers. When it comes to cloth elements, I thought one could buy some cloth from a fabric store and than cut it into shape. For the wast skirt, I am using Kylo Renā€™s cloth element.

Letā€™s get to work guys!

P.S. When it comes to the model itself, what I have finished is absolutely fantastic. He is very tall. John Ho is one of my favorite Lego designers (right next to Neik, of course) and this shows what he can do when he has no restrictions.

Had a thought regarding the skirt. I think it was made by tracing Tahu Masterā€™s swords. The shapes match up

1 Like

The model has double sided friction extenders. Please tell me that was on a set?

Hey Neik! Is this how Mask Maker Makutaā€™s back is built?

3 Likes

Thank you so much sir, these pictures are just what we needed.

I have finished reverse engineering the model in LDD and the model has approximately 579 pieces not including the cloths (I say approximately because I am unsure about what one piece is). I will see if I can find a way to make the file public.

@randomdude, These are what I believe they are

Anyone know what goes where I placed the green piece, it appears to be round like the piece subbing for it but black. (update: piece is confirmed to be a 1m dark gray beam, so the exact piece shown but dark gray instead of green)

Note that the new torso piece isnā€™t in LDD, so it is absent.

Update: I figured out a way to post the file, and it will be public once it is approved.
http://ldd.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery/4929b14b-e4cf-4e72-9199-0050d6df22a0?index=2&loadprivate=true&memberid=a6720c5c-131a-490b-b95a-7cc8ee68efc8

Update 1/27/19: LDD file G2 Overlord Makuta Model - Bricksafe

4 Likes

You work fast! Well done, good sir.

1 Like

Almost done with all three of these beasts! Canā€™t wait to review them on my Youtube!

16 Likes

How are we going to do the stickers and Cape pieces cause I want those on my overlord Makuta.

1 Like

RAKRONDEWL said he could be able to do the stickers. Additionally, some of them come is The marvel Black Panther pursuit set.

As far as the cloth elements Iā€™d say youā€™re best bet is to buy some purple cloth and cut it. We canā€™t really do much.

2 Likes

I think the loincloth might be purple paper, it looks thinner than the cloth for the staff.

What are the thoughts on the decagon on the staff sticker? Would we want it looking warn and faint like in the video or cleaned up having more solid lines. I am unsure if the imperfect shape was intentional or possibly done by hand in which case they did the best they could.

I think we would want it to be just like Legoā€™s. I think everything we do should be to replicate Legoā€™s model. Additionally, if we look at the most recent photos, we can see the print is damaged, proving it was, in fact, a sticker.

Iā€™m off to bed. Canā€™t wait to see further progress!

1 Like

Canā€™t wait until someone manages to fully complete him. Looking good so far. :smile:

yey post 117

Here is a test I did to see how the edges would look. I do realize the skull still needs some work to be accurate, so donā€™t freak out;)

And here is the drop-shadow test.

4 Likes

YEY

4 Likes

Looks great man!

1 Like

Ok heres what a full staff and chest sticker might look like

Also the link to the black panther stickers is gone can you fix it?

5 Likes