The Mario & Luigi RPG Series

Mario has had a few different RPG series but the one I stuck to the most was definitely Mario & Luigi due to their challenging battle system.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NQEf2Cy_TlA/maxresdefault.jpg

It’s like a normal RPG battle system except it incorporates more use of buttons and thus becomes partially dodging and then timing your attacks. It also makes it so you have to study your enemy to defeat them, all while having to be REALLY fast. It also incorporates platforming and puzzles when not battling.

I really love this series on how it still really FEELS like a Mario game even though it’s in the RPG format. Also, the story is nice most of the time, although sometimes they fallback on the “Save Princess Peach” plotline a few times, but that’s standard Mario.

I think my favorite in the series HAS to be Bowser’s Inside Story, but what do you guys think?

6 Likes

I played the majority of Super Star Saga, Partners in Time, and I’m at the end Dream Team. I truly have enjoyed what I have played of this series.

2 Likes

You should play Bowser’s Inside Story.

1 Like

Bowser’s Inside Story has got to be in my top 10 DS games. Partners in Time would be far behind. Both of them were amazing play experiences. While I have Superstar Saga, I never finished it because I didn’t understand rpgs back then. They are all so unique yet contained as the same series, which really reflects he Nintendo style.
Dream Team and Paper Jam I have not played, but regardless of what others say about them, I hope to play them at some point.
On another related note, “In the Final” is one of my favorite game tracks.

1 Like

I never played them, but they were one of the games I admired. My friend let me play a little of Dream Team once, that was one heck of a game.

I would have enjoyed Bowser’s Inside Story a lot more if it actually saved my progress. My experience with the game was constantly leaving my DS active and on the charger…

Oh man. I love this series. I’ve mostly watched Let’s Plays, but I have played some of Paper Jam. I still love this series, nonetheless. The music is great, the humor is legendary, imo, and the characters are some of the best in Mario games. The only game I dislike more than the others would be Paper Jam, mainly because you have to worry about 3 characters instead of 2.
TL;DR:
These games are amazing, but Paper Jam is slightly worse.

1 Like

tbh I don’t think I’ve ever played this game.

Sounds like something I’d like though.

Paper Jam is absolutely annoying because getting your fingers across A, B and Y is a hassle.

Albiet Inside Story had a third character too, but he had his own sections to worry about so it was easier.

I’ve been playing Dream Team and IMO it’s good. It just doesn’t match up to BIS, which is probably why it wasn’t liked very much. Then again BIS is tough to beat.

I known about, but I never actually playing the series, I did playing Paper Mario for a Mario RPG than THE Mario RPG or Mario Luigi, never again they didn’t done one with Wario and Waluigi, yet or one going all Spiderverse with all different versions of Mario.

i have played all of the Mario and Luigi games (with the first one being the only one i don’t own because i borrowed it from one of my cousins) and i find the game franchise to be good, but i do sort of feel that Bowser’s inside story might be the best of them, because its the last game with Fawful who basicly was the one character that connected the three first games together, that and its interesting to see how he basicly evolved from a henchmen in the first game to a serious threat in Bowser’s inside story.

that and the three first games are the only ones who did not have Bowser as one of or being the main antagonist in their stories.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that the battle music is this series is absolutely amazing. My favorite piece is the boss theme from Bowser’s Inside Story. Of course, there’s other good ones:

(The best part about this song in the game is that it opens with Mario saying “Lets-a Go!” and Luigi saying “Okey Dokie!” GAH SO MUCH NOSTALGIA.)

TFW when it sounds like Final Fantasy music but it comes from a Mario game.

3 Likes

Yoko Shimomura is a goddess. Can you imagine if she did music for Bionicle G3? Because I’ve already imagined Dreamy Somnom Labryinth being played for G3 Onu-Wahi.

I have a ranking for all the Mario and Luigi boss fight themes, actually.

1.They’re Pretty Tough, Should We Be Careful!?
2. Never Let Up!
3. Big Bang!
4. Superstar Saga’s boss theme.
5. Partners in Time’s boss theme.

1 Like

Can’t believe nobody posted this here yet. (yes I know Chronicler mention this in another topic)

http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/bin/U7GQc286k_tbQY0IP02aXLYfu5mx3v8L/u1eSzGepLeeahJ-WcPbyqUj90kA_nn_S.png

This was a leak rumor awhile back and relieved during E3. I can’t see anything wrong remaking this but im not too intrigue with the Bowser’s Minions content. (also it can’t play 3d for some reason)

6 Likes

This remix for the new version of Superstar Saga is gr8. I’m glad they didn’t use the paper jam version.

3 Likes

This series is so completely weird and beyond peculiar but I love it so much

2 Likes

I’m at the end of Partner’s in Time.
spoilers:

OH mY gOd i CaN’t BEat eLdER pRinCeSs sHrOob aAaaaAAAAaAAaaAAA

4 Likes