The Mask Of Ultimate Power Is Evil (Discussion)

Personally I’d hate for them to go all Ninjago on us.

Hmm… I was always a fan of Makuta becoming addicted to power and he’s kinda like Gollum, trying to get the MoUP for himself so he can feed his addiction.

2 Likes

What if Makuta CREATED the skull spiders? They do look like masks after all.

The most recent implications of the Mask Of Control being able to take control of Umarak should be taken into account with the idea of the Mask Of Ultimate Power being an evil sentient entity of its own.

If the Mask Of Control has the ability to warp Umarak into a beast-like creature and possibly manipulate him to protect itself or otherwise, then chances are the Mask Of Ultimate Power can do the same.

2 Likes

Here is the way I see it.

The MOUP in of it itself is not inherently evil, nor good. It has no sentience, it is just a mask. It does however, contain an unfathomable amount of power that no mortal could ever really wield. I swear to all that is holy, if one character in 2017 can control it efficiently I will be extremely disappointed in the story team. It has been stated that having more that one element in a mask is a really, really bad idea, and this has six of them. That is way to much power for anyone to control.

I also don’t think Makuta was evil before putting on the mask. He was jealous and neither his motivations or intentions could probably be considered pure, however I don’t think he ever imagined the devastation the creation of that mask would do to the island. Imagine the masks power as a voice. One voice in your head giving you a single route and destination, working with you to help you. Now imagine six. All at once, screaming over each other, It sent Makuta mad, just like it would Ekimu, or Tahu or anyone. It’s too much.

When Makuta put the MOUP on, the legend video states it “took control of him”. Now that could be taken in at least two ways. The first one being a sort of demonic possession, allowing the mask to force Makuta to do his biding. The second is that simply the power was too much and took control of him, escalating every emotion, reason and conflict that was inside him. So much so that it fused with him, grasping hold of his soul even after “death?”.

I want to point out again that alone as two separate entities Makuta and the MOUP are not evil. When they are combined though, it is impossible to refute the claim that they are in fact evil. Enslaving/killing an entire island’s population for centuries is nothing a sound mind would do, no matter how innocent its intentions might have been in the beginning.

Sorry for the long post, but there you have it.

5 Likes

The Mask of Ultimate Power did that though. Makuta changed form when he put it on(growing in size and changing color), not as extreme as Umarak’s change but that might have been because animation limitations. Whether the Mask manipulated Makuta is unknown at this time though.

1 Like

I disagree. I feel the mask of ultimate power is simply the ultimate weapon and tool - and power corrupts. In fact, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
The way I see it, the jealousy brewing inside Makuta was finally allowed to be used once he put on the MoUP, making it so he gave into that destruction.
I don’t want it to be sentient, just the most powerful mask of all time.

I think the Mask of Ultimate Power just took all the jealousy and anger he had inside about his brother and the Okotans, and made them explode, channeling them into the mask’s powers and causing destruction. So the mask did in fact take control over Makuta, in a way, but I don’t think it’s sentient.

ever since that newest trailer of journey to one came out, ( the one about ekimu) I can’t wait for this Ultimate power mask to come out in a set!!! :smile:

1 Like

I didn’t particularly like it at first in the JTO shot we saw, however its reveal in the Makuta contest video has made me like the mask a bit more. Hopefully we get it in black

I hope we get it at all, lego need to release one more set, being makuta, before they cancel it. #OneMoreSet Petition release a makuta set

It is confirmed that it was not evil til Makuta put it on and his negative emotions made it that way, as it was implied if someone with “peaceful” emotions put it on it good be used for good.

Maybe we watched different episodes of JTO… however to me it seemed that;

• Ekimu admitted Makuta was not always evil
  • That Makuta was only jealous until he started making the elemental masks
  • That Makuta lusted after power once he saw what the elemental masks could do
  • That Makuta only became truly evil after putting on the Mask Of Ultimate Power, whether this was because of having lots of power or the mask was unclear

After seeing the JTO finale, I believe that the Mask of Ultimate Power was more like Captain America’s Super Soldier Serum. It enhances everything, good becomes great, and bad becomes worse.

3 Likes

Just like every mask which the Mask Makers made, they are only keys which unlock the user’s potential…in this case Makuta’s potential for evil was the strongest

1 Like

When someone says that “such-and-such took control over so-and-so,” it either means that such-and-such literally took control over so-and-so, or that so-and-so let such-and-such get the better of them.

In this case, I believe that Makuta was wanting praise from the Okotons so badly that it clouded his better judgement, and this would end up him losing control over himself.
Notably, in the 4th episode of Journey to One, The Dark Portal, Ekimu said, “If my brother had been pure of heart, the power might have affected him differently,” implying that Makuta’s clouded judgement over wanting power so much has let the Mask of Ultimate Power’s power heavily influence him to, as Ekimu said, “put evil.”

So, the mask isn’t evil, as power doesn’t know good from evil, but it’s how you use it.

If you seen Var’s video, BIONICLE: Autopsy: The Makuta’s Darkest Secret, he explains his theory that all Makuta wanted was to be recognized by Ekimu and not placed aside.

It’s pretty understandable, wanting to do something big to get noticed. It’s also kinda sad.