The Matoran Pantheon

By that definition Makuta is the God of Law.

But the problem here is that fruits really aren’t all that similar, just in the same classification. One doesn’t see a apple and think 'Oh boy, a rounded red banana!" Just because they are in the same broad spectrum doesn’t mean they’re completely similar. The same with your Duty and Justice; they are, I guess, in the same spectrum, but you can easily have one without the other.

1 Like

I changed it, now Makuta is the god of Duty and Justice as his full title. Ekimu is the god of Unity and Kindness and Mata Nui is the God of Destiny and Prophecy.

You’re still just tacking duty on there. What you have described is nothing but the God of Justice, adding duty to the title does nothing but add it to the title.

It’s your duty to do your job, it’s your duty to not steal. It’s your duty to etc. Makuta makes sure you do your duty. TBH even though it was just a metaphor…

BANANAS AREN’T FRUITS, they’re berries. (Mind Blown)

…Which are fruits.

2 Likes

No they…wait…dangit!

Now, don’t think we’re ganging up on you. We’re just pointing out some flaws in logic, that kind of mess up your idea.

How can I put this…

4 Likes

I love this. I always loved the idea of a Bionicle Pantheon, and I even tried developing one for G2. I really like the idea of returning to Bionicle’s more mythical roots, and how the characters of Karzahni and Artakha are even closer to how the Matoran Legend depicted them as.

Also, yes- Terak and Ketar fighting over Po-Wahi sounds so much like the trickster folk tales you hear in African Mythos and other tales. I love that. Many stories and myths were made to explain natural occurrences, and I love the idea of Egil and Tanil’s clash causing day and night, with the brothers triumphing over the other in an endless cycle. And I love you incorporating G2 into G3- People are so focused on bringing back parts of G1 that I feel that G2 is missing out (granted, it never had a very good impression to begin with, of course). And naming some beings have locations and cosmic bodies is a wonderful bit of trivia-lore.

Really, reading these feels so much like I’m learning about the mythos of another culture, with their explanations for why things happen, tales of tricksters and games, legends of fortune being granted to the daring and the brave- If you just told someone this was the mythology of some culture they never heard of, they could very easily believe you.

Point in case, I REALLY want this for G3. Obviously some things could be changed up a bit, but otherwise I love it.

I think you mean case in point.

Oh god.

You mean I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time?

1 Like

I’ve made one last ditch attempt to salvage the Duty part. Makuta rewards matoran who work hard and his likeness is often used as an incentive by bosses to get their matoran to work harder, saying, “Makuta will reward your efforts”. He also refers people to Artakha, the prole heaven.

Well now it just sounds like he’s the patron God of workers. The problem is that duty is almost inseperablely connected to service. It’s generally used in the context of military or police forces, things that you don’t just do for money, things that you do because of your own conviction.

There’s a good chance most matoran workers don’t get payed, this is a tribal setting after all.

Pay doesn’t necessarily mean money, it means compensation, in a tribal setting, workers are probably compensated with food or something similar.

It’s giving them an incentive to do their duty. Makuta will reward them if they do their duty. I’d imagine Okoto as having a rigid hierarchy if they have guilds for mask makers and stuff, maybe a hybrid feudal maori thing with a combination of the warring turagas with matoran serfs as well as being spiritual and into study. It could make for an interesting society.

Ok, I’m going to put this simply: I have no problem with your idea. It sound interesting. What I have a problem with is your misuse of the word duty. However, it is clear that this discussion is going nowhere since there is no way you are going to change duty to a more accurate word because the only reason your using the word duty in the first place is to facilitate a reference to UDD. That being said, I see no point in arguing about it anymore.

To translate that into simpler terms: Agree to disagree.

Just to be clear, that’s not true. Teridax’s destiny, and his duty, above all, was to inhabit the GSR and help Mata Nui reform Spherus Magna. Whether he knew if it was his destiny or not is irrelevant; he still would be seen as a paragon of doing what is supposed to be done. He did it as best as he could, and honestly didn’t really hurt anyone except Matoro, indirectly.

In G2, his duty was to provide masks for the villagers of Okoto, and he did his best to follow that too. As far as duty is concerned, ethics shouldn’t matter. Your work ethic should.

@Squidzo I’m quite a fan of most of these, especially the presence of Aqua/Bota/Bara Magna as the titles of gods. I do not, however, like the idea of some of the creatures, including Umarak, being subservient to others, and including both Ekimu and Mata Nui seems like a bit too much.