The Metal Gear Topic

I expected to be disappointed by whatever Konami chose to do (because they are Konami), but apparently not even that was enough to prepare me for this. It’s the most generic of video game ideas ever, and somehow I didn’t even see that coming from Konami.

I had to laugh at it, because the other option was to cry.

1 Like

Well this topic is dead.
Been interested in playing Metal Gear for years now. First exposure to it was watching a friend of the family play though the middle portion of Snake Eater.
Only recently did I finally pick up The Essential Collection. Basically just the first 3 Solid games in a bundle for PS2.
Finished 3 and 2. Both are great, even if 2 does have more plot twists than is really necessary.
Currently playing through one. I hope to play them all someday.
(Before anyone questions it, the reason I didn’t play them in order is because Metal Gear Solid needs a PS1 memory card. Which I didn’t own.)

1 Like

defibrillator sound

So this is a franchise that I’ve just recently understood while people love. MGSV: Ground Zeroes was free on PS+ back in summer 2015 or roundabout that time, and I played it. Fun, but was very confused about what was going on. Didn’t think too much about Phantom Pain coming out shortly after that, but noticed the flood of articles on all the gaming sites. In October 2017, Phantom Pain was free with PS+, so I of course played it, knowing it was more of a full experience than Ground Zeroes. Was kind of blown away by how much I enjoyed it, and how good it was. I’d heard how crazy Metal Gear plots were, and suspected I’d just be in for the base-building and gameplay, a quick in-and-out through the story mode, but nope! I got really invested into the story and grew to care about the characters. Even a plot as crazy as a virus spread through language and giant walking nukes seemed believable in some weird way and I loved every second of it. The revelation that Venom Snake wasn’t actually the real Big Boss blew my mind and made me interested in playing some other games. So, cut to last week.

I’ve been a proud Vita owner since 2013, and have enjoyed playing games new and old on it. When a vacation was proposed for the past week that would require hours of flight, I knew the Vita would be getting some use, and decided to get Peace Walker. In hindsight, I really wish I’d played the games in story order, because Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, and The Phantom Pain are a great trilogy (or… duology, because GZ and TPP are supposed to be one game). Minus the dumb button mashy torture sequence, the game is honestly a masterpiece, which surprised me for some reason. The graphics haven’t aged that well, but it was a PSP game from 2010, and the story is fantastic, so who cares? When Peace Walker drowns itself whilst singing, I actually got slightly emotional, and the same goes for Quiet’s sacrifice in The Phantom Pain. Hearing the plots of the games explained made them seem like the dumbest summer spy blockbuster movies imaginable, but holy cow are they so much more. Probably going to bite the bullet and get the HD collection on Vita so I can play MGS2 and MGS3, and see about procuring the other available titles on PS3.

Completing the experience with Peace Walker made me realize why Kojima is so beloved. The story of MGS is weird, no doubt about it, but gosh is it amazing (so far as I’ve seen anyway). I may be late to the party, but you’ve earned a new fan, Mr. Kojima.

4 Likes

I mean MGS3 came at the very first, and the other games are great

except survive that’s dumb

1 Like

Playing MGS1 for the first time.

1 Like