The Nexo Knights Topic

I suppose, but we’re also probably going to see tie-ins for other things such as Wonder Woman, Justice League, Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, Spider-man Homecoming. With so many big themes, the original IP’s may suffer.

Everything you have listed is a subtheme of Superheroes, which is still not the same thing as The Lego Movie. The Lego Movie needed an entire new theme, Superheroes just needs to reduce the “filler” sets to make room.

3 Likes

I don’t think this is very comparable to other Castle themes. NK was set up like Ninjago and Mixels, which usually is given a three year lifespan because of its show.

But TLM was going on around the same time as Ninjago and Chima and both themes were fine enough to last another year.

Well Ninjago is technically a Castle theme too, since it takes inspiration from one of its obscure subthemes, Ninja.

The LEGO Movie only made up around 4% of LEGO’s total product line-up in 2014. Star Wars was 6%.

Just saying.

Let’s just guess that these two themes get as many sets as TLM. They’ll still only make up about 8%, which honestly isn’t too bad.

I don’t really see how the addition of more superhero sets will really hurt their own IPs. They are all going to be underneath two themes which traditionally have tie-ins every year.

4 Likes

It’s sorta like saying that a new Star Wars vehicle coming out will damage other themes, while all it means is that what is typically a filler space will get an actually “needed” set (what I mean by this is things like the Death Star Final Duel, a good set but very much a filler set rather than something very relevant).[quote=“Plural, post:2106, topic:11247”]
But TLM was going on around the same time as Ninjago and Chima and both themes were fine enough to last another year.
[/quote]

For what it’s worth mentioning, Chima was kinda a failure in the long run, but it did well enough to survive three years (more than Bionicle). From what we’ve seen, Nexo Knights has sold much better than Chima, which signifies that it in the very LEAST has the popularity to last.

Just to clarify, the user @moa, a resident of the American East Coast, has mentioned in the past that at his ToysRUs he can find rows of shelfwarmed Chima sets. If that’s all it takes for a System theme to survive, then Nexo Knights should be absolutely fine. It was only until Brick Fair that I could finally find the King’s Mech.

4 Likes

For those who have the map of knighton, I direct your attention to it now, “lavaland” “cold north” “rockland” “wasteland”.

Lava was the villain motif last year, rock is the motif of this year, I’m not saying there’s foreshadowing there, but there might be foreshadowing there.

someone totally brought this up already, didn’t they…?

4 Likes

I’d be down for some ice themed and desert themed baddies.

As long as the colors are neat, they’ve been doing well with that.

1 Like

i hope you are not serious. Because Infernox and the destruction monsters have so little in common that they can’t be the same monster.

unless you have some proof, like say, a response from one of the people who worked on Nexo Knights that states that they are the same monster, then you can’t say that i am wrong.

@Joe @Payinku do you guys remember the plant monsters and the water monsters? If you do, then remember that for some time people belived that they were forshadowing the new villains in future waves.

however they did not appeare in anything else beside the books. So im doupting that we will see the Nexo Knights faceing off against “ice monsters and desert monsters” in the future years.

I was pointing out that Lego has a lot of big name themes coming out along with tie-in’s to other big things happening in 2017. During the release of the movie, they tend to ■■■■■ focus to the tie-in sets which can damage own IP’s as themes such as Nexo Knights wont receive as much advertising during a time when the Ninjago movie is out.

• Lego Batman Movie
  • Guardians Of The Galaxy
  • Wonder Woman
  • Spider-man Homecoming
  • Lego Ninjago Movie
  • Justice League

Nexo Knights already seemed to rush a lot of its story, considering that we are already two seasons into the show with 2017’s Winter wave being its third season.

Themes are given a general idea of a three year lifespan but as we know many don’t last that long. Many themes end on there second year due to either poor sales or a ■■■■■ in focus. If we look at the story structure, season two already serves as what would normally be a penultimate storyline setting the stage for a final showdown between the Knights and Monstrox.

Ninjago was a core theme, by the release of The Lego Movie it was already entering its fourth year (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)

While Chima managed to limp into 2015… its action figures did not. They were not released in several places in 2014. While this may not be linked to The Lego Movie - it could be a sign that similar cutbacks might occur with Nexo Knights being a similar big-name theme.

Ninja’s are there own theme for Lego, separate from Castle. Ninjago took some inspiration from the previous Ninja theme, Lego Ninja.

Nexo Knights on the other hand is being defined as a ‘a combination of space and castle’. Space themes have even worse luck than Castle themes, normally being cancelled after a year, the longest surviving Space theme was Mars Missions with just about three years. Castle as previously mentioned seems to suffer from a curse of only lasting around two years. Granted its not pure Castle however it still is a combination of two of the shortest running themes.

Not sure where you got those percentages from, however a basic summary of how many sets were released in 2014 shows that your figures are clearly incorrect.

2014 total sets; 740
Total sets that were not Lego Movie or Star Wars; 619

2014 Lego Movie sets; 76
Total sets that were not Lego Movie; 664

2014 Star Wars sets; 45
Total sets that were not Star Wars; 695

######*Source is Brickset

They will likely promote other themes less due to the release of tie-in sets for films.

Ehm, pretty sure 2016 was just one act. Season 1 acted mostly to set things up for season 2.

1 Like

Potentially, though in terms of a story i cant imagine them failing to defeat Monstrox in season three - nor can i imagine them bringing Monstrox back again for a fourth season. Having him be the villain each season might get repetitive, even with the potential variance in how evil/deadly he is and the inclusion of Jestro.

Personally, I’d rather they’d have Jestro as the villain throughout the first three years of the series. I mean, most of LEGO’s story-based themes have kept their villains throughout their initial run.

They already redeemed Jestro in season 2 and while the sets imply he is taken over somehow by Monstrox, I’m unsure if that would make for a good villain beyond this. After he’s turned good, why would he stay evil again after Monstrox is presumably defeated. Unless Monstrox takes over Jestro, but then its Monstrox as the villain again.

1 Like

The thing is, ninjago and tlbm are already advertising for their respective themes, and the others are part of already existing themes, with the amount of movie tie-ins last year we would have seen a similar trend to what you are proposing, which we didn’t.

Ninja was a sub-theme of castle.

[quote=“Scarilian, post:2111, topic:11247”]
Ninjago took some inspiration from the previous Ninja theme, Lego Ninja.
[/quote]see above.

1 Like

Wait…

They have a Trans-blue and purple melding of the brain attack fire piece…

I need that.

yes.

I could work it wonderfully into a MOC I built recently.

1 Like

Besides BIONICLE, can you give another major example of a story-based theme that was pushed with a TV show that didn’t last three years? Unless we’re adding themes that had the slightest amount of a story, like Atlantis and Ultra Agents, then they’re really aren’t any.

I think there’s an important thing to note here. The action figures were held back, not the entire wave. If Chima as an entire line did horrible, its final wave would probably get a regional release, similar to what happened with BIONICLE. In this case, though, the CCBS figures were doing horrible, which is why they got the limited release.

Actually, Ninja was not it’s own theme. It was still a subtheme of Castle, since stuff like Brickset and Brickipedia list it as such. Hell, even that wikipedia article states that it was replaced by a castle theme.

If we’re talking about the longevity of a theme, Ninja wasn’t much better. It might be listed as 1998-2000, but its last year only saw the release of three “sets”, which were all just packs of one to three minifigures. That’s like saying '13 Castle lasted another year because that LEGO Store exclusive knights pack was released in 2014.

Also, there have been Castle lines since the 90’s that have lasted three years, namely '07 Castle which ended in '09. This third year also saw the release of real sets, not just minifigure packs.

I think this is an extremely important note that it isn’t a pure Castle line.

By that logic, BIONICLE should have ended within its first two years since its predecessor, Throwbots, only lasted about that long or Ninjago would go on to have its third year but its last wave is nothing but minifigures.

I’m just saying that you can’t really compare one theme to another theme that has a different kind of treatment from LEGO.

I honestly don’t know where you’re getting your figures from, because whilst selecting The LEGO Movie on Brickset, this popped up:

If you could take a screenshot so we can compare our results, that would be nice.

I don’t see how another movie tie-in will honestly hurt another theme.

Let’s just look at the list of themes in 2014 that weren’t from some other company’s IP, shall we?

Friends Still running strong
Hero Factory This is just a guess, but Hero Factory probably was sunsetted because of BIONICLE’s reboot, not because of the release of TLM.
Legends of Chima Though they’re currently just shelfwarmers, the theme was successful enough to last another year after, as opposed to what we saw with the financial failure that was G2.
Minecraft Seems to be doing well
Mixels Although it is technically a licensed theme since it was commissioned by CN, it was still an unproven idea. The theme was able to last a whole three years.
City City might not be the best inclusion for this list, since a Town theme has basically always been around since the late 70’s, but it’s still around.
Ultra Agents This is honestly a confusing case. Though it only lasted two years which could’ve been longer or shorter than what it could have been, it seemed to be more of a test than a theme. UA was the first theme that LEGO really focused on that had app and set integration, which kind of leads me to think that it was just a way to see how it would be received. Seeing how Nexo Knights actually integrated the gimmick and integrated it hard, I’m guessing Ultra Agents was somewhat of a success.
Ninjago Ninjago is Ninjago. It’s fine.

Most of these themes were given the ax because they exceeded their kind of line’s average lifespan or was already making space for another LEGO IP.

1 Like

i want some proof that they are shelfwarmers, because here in norway, i have not seen any Legends of Chima sets for a long time in any toy stores.

so i really want to see some numbers of how many stores still have Legends of Chima sets in them currently.

From my own personal experiences and from what others have said, Toys R Us, Walmart, and Target seemingly have had a lingering stock of Chima that they just can’t seem to get out.

This might just apply to us here in the states, but it seems to be a common issue.

EDIT
Though it doesn’t show exact figures, the Toys R Us, Walmart, and Target online shops say that the 2015 sets are still purchasable. If they went up at the same time LEGO put them up on S@H, then they’re quite a ways over a year old, therefore making them shelfwarmers.

1 Like

I don’t have any photographic proof, but I can confirm that I’ve seen tons of Chima sets in Targets, TRUs, and Walmarts all throughout my region. Nearly all of them have been larger sets from the final wave; namely Icebite’s Claw Driller, Bladvic’s Rumble Bear, King Crominus’ Rescue, and most commonly, Maula’s Ice Mammoth Stomper.

At any rate, this topic is about Nexo Knights, not Chima, so let’s stay on topic guys. :wink:

I’m decently excited about these sets, especially The Three Brothers set.

I finally might get a decent Axl figure for less than $60

4 Likes

According to a friend of mine on the boards on the American east coast, there are rows of them at his local TRU. Also, the sets are dirt cheap on Amazon, which tells me that they couldn’t sell at full price.

Okay, not only was Ninja not an actual theme (I’d recommend relying on more than Wikipedia if you want to argue with credible information), but it showed little similarity besides the base inclusion of ninja. The Ninja subtheme only ever used ninja as enemies, and the subtheme also never included technological advancements. This is the difference between Classic Castle and Nexo Knights. One is trying to accurately represent an era in history, the other is trying to make a unique concept by pulling elements from each.

Yes, the constraction didn’t last.

Keep in mind, constraction as a whole has been falling for years, and for themes like Chima it was more or less a subset. Chima still had a full wave of normal sets that weren’t cut back on, which means that the issue was constraction, not the Chima theme itself. Nexo Knights is still only a system theme.

1 Like

quick question, how many differences have you guys seen from the tv show, the sets and the books.

one difference i have noticed is how the books introduce more monsters and also have the “monster school” or “monster academy”, which was refrenced in the app game by General Magmar:

this seems to also be the canon that the LEGO theme goes by, given how Jestro was hit by lighning in the ending of the game, while in the tv show, he is reformed.