The Packaging/Promotional Art/Instruction Booklet/Book Mistakes Topic

oooh, ok, that is pretty weird.

Here’s one I’m kind of surprised I have never seen before, from an old Oohnorak image:

5 Likes

I don’t see the mistake…

The Oohnorak were the only Visorak to use the short thigh piece, but the animation uses the long one.

5 Likes

Ah, I see. Neat!

1 Like

Funnily enough, my copy of the instructions also tell you to use the longer bone, despite only short ones being supplied.

4 Likes

So, I own two copies of the first Bionicle Graphic Novel

One of them is an original from 2008, the other is a reprint from 2010.

Now, what’s interesting is, the reprint has a printing error: the cover for The Bohrok Saga Chapter #3 (AKA Bionicle Issue #6) was duplicated midway through TBS #2 (AKA Bionicle Issue #5), replacing one of the pages

What’s bizarre is, this issue does not affect the original

Any thoughts? Anyone else have a misprinted Graphic Novel? This is the only misprint I’ve seen in the Graphic novels I own.

3 Likes

Apologies for replying to an almost 5 years old (!) post, but recently I’ve found a concept art for Lava Beast’s box:

AND IT HAS THE CORRECT TAHU

So it looks like the 2016 Tahu was originally going to appear in the background, but for some unholy reason whoever did the final design changed him to the 2015 version. Just… why…

11 Likes

Now I wish we got a black and green unity mask of fire.

7 Likes

Don’t have a scan right now, but my Piraka Stronghold instructions are marked Lava Chamber Gate and have a step that’s flatout wrong compared to the pdf on Lego’s site.

2 Likes

I’ve found multiple errors in the Manas instructions on lego.com, specifically for the orange one. First, in Step 2, the part callout for the step seems to be in the wrong location:

Then, when building the shell for the same Manas, the callout is for a 9L liftarm, but the step shows a 7L liftarm being attached (which is correct):

4 Likes

Some wise graphic designer thought the 2015 Tahu design was way cooler and made an executive decision.

1 Like

Wait…
Book error

I wouldn’t swear to it, but it looks like Tahu has a Zamor Launcher.

5 Likes

I think a better question would be why Bitil is so tiny compared to Pohatu

Pohatu’s biceps are bigger than his head

3 Likes

There is also a physical version of this visible in the US ads in the instructions: it has the prototype shoulder armor and the missing chest plate.

1 Like

For 7249, the City XXL mobile crane from 2005, Lego really couldn’t decide on the orientation of the wheels (if they should be turned inwards or outwards).

On the box art, instruction covers, and final step in the instructions, all wheels are shown inwards:

However, on the official product image from Lego.com, the back 4 wheels are turned outwards:

And finally, in the 2008 catalog, it’s the same… Right next to a photo of the set with all 8 wheels turned outwards:

I also just noticed that the image in the price box seems to mirrored (with the labels edited appropriately), the crane control cab is usually on the left side of the truck. I mean, it’s a really simple mod, but the instructions and most images show otherwise.

I know this is an oddly specific observation, but as soon as I noticed it, I couldn’t unsee it.

4 Likes

I’d say that looks more like a Cordak Blaster.

Either way, it’s entirely possible that the book covers (or at least their backgrounds) were based on prototype models.

4 Likes

Not only that, but it’s a mirrored version of the first picture you posted, guy in the background and all! Also, only the “Special Transport” sticker has been edited to face the correct way again, and pretty poorly at that. All the other stickers are left mirrored, inexplicably including the “7249 XXL” near the control cab

4 Likes

You’re right, I didn’t even notice that! The XXL mobile crane rabbit hole goes deeper…

4 Likes

On a similar note, I recently noticed some mirroring in the images for the Gate Assault set from Exo-Force:

Interestingly, though, only the Gate Defender (white mech) is mirrored.

The proper orientation is used on the box art, though:

5 Likes