The Relationship Topic

I’ve seemed to notice a pattern. I always seem to fall for girls I, for one reason or another, have pretty much no chance with.

First girl moved away before I actually told her, but I don’t think she liked me anyways.
Second girl I’m pretty sure’s a lesbian.
Third girl I though I was getting close with, then she got a boyfriend.
And fourth I wasn’t sure if I even had feelings for, but she’s talking to someone else anyways so it doesn’t really matter.

And that pretty much describes my luck so far, and probably for the next foreseeable future. Hopefully I find someone once I leave for college.

3 Likes

Welp, this is probably gonna be long but I’ll try to keep it as brief as possible. I’m pretty much at the end of high school now, and looking back I’ve had a lot of experience with relationships. Were they good? Not all of them. But not all of them were bad either. All I can say is, relationships can be a hit or a miss. Stay with someone who’s commited, wants to stay with you, and be good to you, and do the same for them. But if they’re a terrible person, just leave them and ignore them for the rest of your life. But in general these kinds of experiences make you wiser when it comes to this kind of stuff. However, most relationships I’ve been in are either short, or most of the girls I like are the kinds I have no chance with, sadly.

1 Like

It’s midnight… I’m afraid to go to sleep.

I had that dream two nights ago. No matter where I go tonight, I won’t be happy in the morning. If I don’t see her again, I’ll just be disappointed. But if I get to see her again, no matter how beautiful our time is, I’ll only hurt more when I wake up. Because she isn’t there… She felt so real, but she only exists in my mind.

Why did I have to have that stupid dream. Before then I was fine. I was okay. But afterwards I’ve only felt hollow. All I feel is empty. I just want someone who cares…

I’m almost 18. In just a few months I’ll be an adult. And I’ll still probably be alone. That thought scares me. I don’t get why this has to hurt so much. I have a caring family, loving parents, an amazing best friend. But there’s this ceaseless agonizing emptiness that eats away at my insides. No matter how hard I try to forget about it, it’s always there. And it’s all because of that stupid dream.

I don’t want much. Just someone who cares about me. A shoulder to cry on. A hand to hold. A face to feel pressed against my own. Someone who appreciates and supports me the way I would to her. Someone I can trust…

Is it really too much to want someone to love me. I broke up with my only girlfriend just two years ago. But it feels like a lifetime. Every time I try to put myself out to find someone, I’m only shot down. Left no closer than where I started.

I just feel so lonely. I feel… so… very… tired…

1 Like

First of all, don’t think like that. You’re only 17, and the time you’re most likely to find someone will be the time you can legally marry. If you’re going to college, that means there are hundreds to thousands of new contenders who know nothing about you, but you can’t force it. Play the long game. Build up relationships, don’t rush them just because you want it done. But you’re still young, and you still have plenty of time to find someone.

Plus, you’ve already had a girlfriend. You know that it’s physically possible for someone to share an attraction to you, which is more than what I have.

3 Likes

I think that everybody tries to rush it in the teenagehood, instead of realising that the chances of getting a girlfriend and staying together with her for more than a year, two at most, are really small.
I’ve fell into such awkward situations twice, but after these two times, I realised that I better set myself up, continue with school and my personal life, and then when I get to college I can start thinking of real, lasting relationships.

2 Likes

Very similar plan for me. I’ve never been in a relationship, and don’t really plan to until a year or so in, or even after, college. Get your life straight. Then work on adding someone else’s life to it.

1 Like

Alright. You have a great family and an amazing friend.
Dude, that’s more than a lot of people in the world have. You’re far from alone. You’ve got them, you’ve got us.
I’m sure that your parents would be willing to help you out in this time of loneliness, and the same goes for your best friend.

Like I’ve said before, this is life’s way of telling you to take it slow and easy. Don’t jump at every chance you have to get a girlfriend. It’s like spending money.
Instead of spending two bucks every time you have two bucks, wait a while and spend much much more.

2 Likes

I think I realized another problem. Not just in the context of romance, but in my social relationships in general.

No one talks to me. I always talk to them. With every friend I’ve ever made, and nearly every conversation I have with anyone outside of work or my home, I’m always the one who initiates the interaction.

No one actively tries to get to know me. No one has ever come up to me for a conversation. The fact that I’m either so forgettable or unnoticeable that uless I make the effort to put myself in front of someone, no one would know me. And even with the friends I have, I’m still always the one who has to initiate interactions, or else they wouldn’t happen…

It’s a pretty troubling realization…

2 Likes

I get what you mean. I struggle with this too. Your not alone. I’m lucky because I’m somewhat introverted, so I don’t like talking to people I don’t know.

You just need to stop talking. It’s simple as that. If you feel like your dominating a conversation, then just shut up. It can be hard, but trust me, it’s worth it.

1 Like

No, that isn’t it. It’s not that I dominate a conversation. It’s that if I didn’t make the effort, they wouldn’t happen.

That I’m always the one who has to talk to others. No one ever talks to me. No one ever reaches out. No one ever introduces themself to me. No one tries to get to know me unless I’m talking to them. No one has ever come up to me, and asked me how my day is going just for the sake of it…

I mean granted there are some exceptions, but mostly at home or at work. But those are different environments that operate differently.

But at school, or even texting my friends when I’m at home, I’m always the one who has to make the effort.

In that case, I would maybe try and join an interest group? (I can’t say much here because I’ve never been in one other than Cub Scouts) Meet people who have similar interests? I get what your saying, most people don’t come up and talk to me either, but I’m home-schooled, I’m used to not having lots of people around. I would suggest you try and find some group of people, that share your likes and interests.

That’s just it. The two closest friends I have, we have a lot in common. When we talk it’s clear that they care and enjoy talking to me. Its just frustrating that I’m the one that has to make all of the effort to maintain the relationship.

Though now that I talk about it, maybe it isn’t so bad. It could be a lot worse.

true. You can have no friends. Just hang in there. After all, it could be your friends don’t try because they figure (subconsciously one would hope), that you’ll maintain the connection for them, and if you stop, they would begin to seek you out. Though I don’t suggest an experiment. You might lose some friends that way. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a really nice way to look at it. Thanks.

No problem. Go listen to some peppy music. Take your mind off of it.

I would suggest Hip to be Square by Huey Lewis and the News.

2 Likes

A song I listen to when I’m feeling down is Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve.
It makes the sadness surface, then turns it into happiness as I listen
It’s got me through some tough times.

1 Like

There’s a neat lady I know at the library I work at. I should get to know her better. Any advice my dudes?

3 Likes

Sorry, but nope. Be nice? I’m not an expert in romantic relationships.

Get to know her

4 Likes

Just talk to her. Introduce yourself.