The Relationship Topic

I may not be a movie critic, but I have made movies. I know whats right for a movie from experience.

I’m only saying this because High school is the worst time to leave decisions up a to a child. Those years of your life are when your hormones are in full swing. You’ll be looking for a significant other based on primal urges rather than an actual desire to meet your future spouse. Almost every High school relationships fails to carry on through adulthood. Save yourself some tears and wait it out.

And lets just accept that some parents think differently, and leave it at that.

And have no experience in how to deal with potential breakups or hardships in adulthood?
Relationships in high school, even if they don’t last, can be a learning experience for the kids on what to do and, probably more importantly, what not to do.

1 Like

Yes, lets have then learn before they have any maturity, when their beains are in the last and most strenuious stages of developing. I’ve known plenty of adults who had relationships just fine even with no experience in High school.

Kind of toeing a fine line between here and the Parenting Topic, but I can get why parents can end up too hands on with their kids. Not that I particularly have enjoyed having to deal with stuff like that in the past, but I can understand where they are coming from. There’s a lot of unknown details that they don’t know what could end up happening.

I mean there’s definitely a fine balance that can be made between knowing when to put the foot down and when to trust the person - at the very least to let them make the mistake and learn from it (as annoying as it may be to see them end up doing it).

I speak only from personal observation, seeing friends of course end up in relationships but also one specific set of experiences with a friend of mine who’s a girl and a bit younger than me and seeing her go through some relationships. I can only imagine how I’ll feel when I have to deal with teenage kids.

4 Likes

And I know some who aren’t. Personal anecdotes are nice and all, but they only get you so far in a discussion.
And, by this logic:

Why have them learn stuff at school at this stage?
It’s because the brains of younger people are more open to change and learning, more so as toddlers, but even in teenagers, to relate this to our discussion. That’s why they suggest piling up a second language when you’re young, because it’ll be much easier then than when your brain is developed fully.

1 Like

Did you just advocate for toddlers to date?

1 Like

…no?

I guess maybe my wording was a little hard to distinguish, but I was saying that they have high capacities for learning, as research shows, saying that theirs is higher than that of a teenager, which is higher than that of an adult. Basically saying "while they aren’t as quick to learn as some [toddlers], they[teenagers] are on average quicker to learn and pick up on things than adults.

Apologies for the confusion.

1 Like

Ah, no problem. I’m just saying that there Are some things you can learn that require more maturity. You wouldn’t hand a toddler a rifle, even if they could learn best then.

1 Like

I agree. With some things, you need some more life experience, and a steady guiding hand could help greatly as well.

However, there’s a difference between a guiding hand and a puppeteer. That was my point and, while I hate to assume as much, I believe @MaxinePrimal and @Tarvaax’s as well.

3 Likes

I even said that. I simply said that in my opinion Highschool isn’t always the best place to start trying relationships.

1 Like

And that’s a fair enough point. I agree not everyone is ready for a relationship in highschool. I was just saying that I don’t see too much harm in trying as long as you’re safe and smart about it.

3 Likes

What’s a relationship and where can I buy one?

6 Likes

I honestly couldn’t care about having a girlfriend. I’m busy with school work and want to spend my money on Lego, not women’s clothes.
I just feel I’m missing out by not actually hanging out with many girls. It’s different to having male friends.

What has this topic become?

9 Likes

Depression.

9 Likes

So I went to the Winter Dance with the girl I like.
It went well, we talked a bunch and had fun. We didn’t really dance much, we’re both kinda shy when it comes to that thing.

Boy, did that take a while to build up the courage to say.

7 Likes

Eyyy very nice

1 Like

I don’t know why I scare females away. I thought my vast Star Wars knowledge and love of Bionicle would be pretty impressive!

Okay, I do have some friends of the opposite gender, I’m just not looking to date yet.

1 Like

Y’know, I probably could have a girlfriend by now if I put in the effort.

I’d only need:
More eloquent speech(not knowing what to say sucks)
Better people skills
Self-confidence
the ability to not freak out under pressure
and a girl who’s interested in me.

So not much.
right?

6 Likes

Find a female nerd!
Most of my friends of that gender are nerdy and geeky on some level.