The Shadows Have RISEN!

I see. To give some a positive: I enjoy the Kopaka design. However, most of the Toa look off, and I feel that if each of the Lightsaber-things were more uniquely integrated, as in they aren’t all practically the same design as Tahu Uniters sword, these would look much better. Also, most of these designs are nearly identical to previous ones. For example: Tahu. He looks extremely similar to Brain Attack Furno, and I’m pretty sure he uses almost exactly same sword. Pohatu looks off with his non-unified color scheme, but that may be because of how he is posed. It also bothers me how you can clearly see his knees with their transparent blue, but he has lime accents which don’t show up anywhere else on his body. Lewa looks extremely strange with his nonsensical asymmetry, and the Skull villain torso really doesn’t work. The trans green on his hips allow you to see his holes, which really bothers me. The little guys look fine for what they are. The villains are extremely strange and their complete lack of color schemes for any of them really make them look terrible as a whole. The strange use of the mouth thing looks extremely bad. Honestly, I would say the only two that look decent are Kopaka and Makuta. Makuta only because he is practically the Combiner Model, which wouldn’t pass LEGO quality standards as things fall off a lot and it can’t stand well. All in all, this does not look like something LEGO would actually do. They have high standards for set design and quality and these would not pass. Also, your complaints about how you ignore negative criticism is quite illogical. You can’t expect everyone to like your stuff. Negative criticism is the most helpful out of them all. If somebody praises you and praises you, even if it’s mediocre, that doesn’t help your skills develop at all. If somebody criticizes your work, you’ll want to do better. So writing any negative complaints off is a terrible thing to do. I hope that you will be logical and see this. Anyways, these MOCS are overall kinda meh.

13 Likes

I feel a debate coming on.

3 Likes

Oh, please no.

2 Likes

Huh, didn’t notice that he was essentially a copy of the combiner model at first.

Yeah, from what I’ve heard it doesn’t hold together well.

3 Likes

While there is a form of negative feedback that is not constructive, constructive criticism is by and large negative. From what I’m seeing here in the replies in this topic, you’re confusing purely negative feedback with the concept of anyone having anything to say negatively about your work, which is the flipside of that critical attitude that we do not encourage here.

Additionally, promoting a project is prohibited here unless you are a Master and post about it in Promotions and Advertising. While it is fine for you to show off your MOCs made, your attempts to cross the line have been noticed and we would advise you to not continue as you have thus far.

13 Likes

The Okotans look like some pretty nice small sets. Tahu sorta-kinda reminds me of Furno XL, all the Toa in general have some good looks to an extent but it’s overall very generic for G2 and I would expect them to change the look a bit more like they did previously. The Karnarohk guy’s color scheme is good but the gold throws it off. The Umarak mask also doesn’t work with the Beast mouth. Ekimu is waaaay too thin and skeletal-like, he hasn’t been drinking his milk. The warriors are pretty messy. And finally Makooti, Lego intended for the combiner version we got to be the actual set. This is pretty much that with a few changes so I’ll take it. But I think he’d come with the MoUP of course. I do like the idea of Shadow Slugs, it’s like a mix of Kraata and Shadow Leech. I think Lego in reality though would make a new mold for them, possibly something rubber like before.

2 Likes

That purple Makuta is absolutely beautiful.

1 Like

it’s the journey to one makuta

3 Likes

A slightly modified version of the official model Lego made for a promotional video, to be precise.

7 Likes

not too much tho, but a little

3 Likes

I know, but the purple makes it look so much better, IMO.

1 Like

that’s what photoshop is for^^

3 Likes

Unless you want the real deal IRL.

1 Like

For what they are, they’re okay. The Okotans are okay, although clones of one another, and they are for the most part pretty decent.
The Toa however, I am not a fan of, Tahu’s legs look extremely strange with the placement of the shin armor, and the cape makes him have little to no neck.
Kopaka, on the other hand, looks pretty good, my only con being that his torso seems too big for his legs.
I am not a fan of Onua, his legs are long and skinny, while his body appears to be quite large, making him look top heavy. Along with this, I am not sure that a shield is the best weapon for Onua, but there may be a reason for that.
Lewa, in all honesty, looks meh at best. The asymmetry does not make sense, and he has far too many conflicting textures.
Pohatu… The cloth does not help him design-wise, and the feet do not fit at all. The addition of blue, while I “understand” it from a story standpoint, makes his colors more annoying than his 2016 form. It could be the posing, but his legs look far to long for his body and the exposed knees are a little annoying.
Gali, on the other hand looks to be the most solid of the toa, the only thing I would add is an accent color to bring something out.

I get the reason for the same weapon on each, but they look really boring, as the toa all have the same one with a tiny change to each.

The villains, while the builds for the most part are okay, they are mainly jumbles of older designs. Their colors don’t really make sense as they aren’t distributed the best, and for a few of them the jaw piece is really awkward. I honestly say that the villains are the most solid of them.

While Makuta looks good, he is an almost exact copy of the JTO Makuta with a new color scheme. Which if you are going for the official Lego look, the model is far to flimsy and jumbled.

Honestly, I’d say the weakest one is Ekimu, who looks awkward, and not like Ekimu at all. The leg armor makes his legs look oddly thin and spindly, while the torso armor doesn’t feel like Ekimu. The arms also look way too short and the fore-arms look way too thick.

Overall, these are eh overall, and could use some work, but are by no means the worst, just keep working on them, and I think they will turn out alright.

2 Likes

The project didn’t die, so that’s good! I would’ve helped more, but life happened. However, I will now try to give objective reviews.

Neruhi:
He looks good! The colors are consistent, and the build is fine!

Hutea:
His legs are nice, and the weapon is cool, but his shoulders are virtually Identical, implying a similar function. That’s not good. All the creatures (more or less) had different functions.

Ilaso:
Excellent! Same complaint about the shoulders, but the colors are great, and the shield is good.

Salma:
Possibly the worst Shadow Okotan, as the mask seems to big for the body. Also, the weapon is plane, and the colors seem incohesive. Also, I’m just now noticing that all of them have the same gun build. That’s not good.

Muaka:
Same complaint on the mask. The toes are good, but seem to unorthodox to be in an official set. The hammer is eh.

Reatu:
She’s okay. The weapon is pretty good.

Tahu:
Gappy legs. Swords are cool. The torso seems to slim, though.

Kopaka:
Could use some gunmetal on the arms to balance the colors. Should have the silver removed from the wings.

Onua:
He’s not bad save for the gappy legs.

Lewa:
The asymmetry is… odd. The weapon looks copied from a Shadow Okotan. The colors are nice, though.

Pohatu:
Same thing about the feet as on his Shadow Okotan. The trans-colors don’t mesh as well here. The cloth feels out of place, I doubt Lego would reuse a piece that specialized.

Gali:
She’s solid. Fine all around.

Karnarohk:
Not solid. The colors seem unbalanced. Maybe take out a trans-color or two.

Ekimu:
Awkward pose, and the neck is two long. he would greatly benefit from the removal (or at least redistribution) of gunmetal. I like the weapon, though!

Takanak:
The colors mesh better here than on Karnarohk, but it’s more of an issue here. He’s supposed to be a being of fire, not magma. On Karnarohk it’s fine because he’s not a main element. At least switch the purple for green, so the blade doesn’t seem as garish.

Grelnoc:
Much better than the last one. His colors mesh well, he has reasonable bulk, and he’s not to gapy.

Sliglak:
Unless you want to switch the purple for orange, change the color on the chain. The colors work slightly better here than on Tatanak, but he could still use more green.

Makuta:
About as good as the normal one, since you changed little. He does look nice in purple, though!

Shadow Slug:
Looks good, but needs some way to immediately interact with the figures like the Skull Spiders and Shadow Traps.

Overall, not bad.

1 Like

nope. i refuse to debate anything no matter what it is. :slight_smile:

Debating and arguing are two separate things. You can be very civil in a debate or you can be very uncivil. Debating isn’t always bad.

4 Likes

um…that would be a duh. :slight_smile: im not a people pleaser and negative comments aren’t helpful in this intense as we aren’t going to redo these or change anything. if it was still in development THEN it would be helpful :slight_smile: everyone is entitled to their opinion.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

which Lego designer might I ask

5 Likes