The Star Wars Battlefront Topic

Cool,

I’m Xevins#1978

(@legomaster1378 I can’t add you because discord require’s both a name and the number. Your name is slightly obscured in the screenshot.)

1 Like

Oh, whoops, didn’t quite get that. I’m legomaster1378#9978

1 Like

I’m creating a Battlefront chat in discord.

It’ll be up once I’m satisfied with it.

(or if anyone else thinks they can make a better one they I encourage them to try)

2 Likes

Did anyone else watch GamertagTOWELLIE’s BF videos when they were younger? They’re super low quality by today’s standard’s but he’s got a decent narration voice and provides some neat tips and strategies.

2 Likes

When those videos came out I was still a scrub without internet.

However since I don’t care about quality I’ll give them a shot.

Has anyone else wondered how the Battlefront II maps were designed? Were they originally conceived as campaign (objective-driven) maps first and then converted to Instant Action/Mulitplayer maps? Or were they designed for multiplayer game-types and then a few objectives were added to make them into campaign missions? What do you guys think?

5 Likes

I got the recent Battlefront. It’s not very fun unless you play it online. That’s where the real Meat and Potatoes are.

2 Likes

Having got the game recently as well I sort of disagree.

The additional DLC really does add to the experience by granting lots of new stuff that makes the original game feel complete.

(Yes I recognize that is a horrible way to sell DLC)

That being said playing it against the AI gets annoying the moment you figure out their behaviors and start to be able to predict what they’ll do.

1 Like

I think the latter, considering the games were heavily inspired by Battlefield it would make sense to prioritize multiplayer first. I think it also makes sense when looking at the objectives in the campaign, which mostly (if I remember correctly) are really different multiplayer objectives: Kill a certain amount of enemies, capture this command post, grab the intel and bring it to the “base” etc.

I’ve heard that apparently the campaign in BFII was added very late in the development, I don’t know if this is true but if so that would mean the maps were designed for multiplayer first.

Another thing that came to mind as I typed this is the fact that all the maps are the exact same ones regardless if you play the campaign or multiplayer/Instant Action. In say Call of Duty 4, you can tell the multiplayer maps are heavily inspired by locations from the campaign, but rarely do they look exactly like their campaign counterpart.

Of course, I don’t know how well that argument holds up considering that the campaign in BFII is supposed to capture a similar feel as the rest of the game by being part of large battles, so using the same maps designed for large scale battles makes sense. Or it could be just to save a lot of time, since the game came out a year after the first one after all.

5 Likes

That’s an interesting idea. However, I don’t know how it applies to the Coruscant map. That map is based directly on the Jedi temple as it appeared during Order 66 (which just so happens to be one of the campaign missions). That map just doesn’t make any canonical sense as a battlefield between either Clones and Droids or between Rebels and Stormtroopers.

I’m really curious to find out more about BFII’s development. As you said, they only had one year to produce the game so they likely had to cut a lot of corners.

2 Likes

That’s a good point, but I have a feeling it’s more of a case of having as many locations from Episode III as possible (the games release were set to coincide with the release of the DVD, and for this game it seemed they banked harder on the Episode III related stuff), and probably to have some indoors infantry maps as well. The same goes for Mustafar and Dagobah, which from a canonical point doesn’t make much sense either (Mustafar is kinda funny since when it does appear in the campaign, it’s Stormtroopers against Droids).

On that note, I think the developers prioritized having fun in the Star Wars universe more than trying to make canonical sense (the campaign being the exception). This is after all the game were Clones and Droids can fight inside the Death Star.

2 Likes

Good point. Though I could kind of understand how the Republic/CIS or the Empire/Rebels could fight over Mustafar’s lava refineries.

Dagobah though… that doesn’t really make sense in any era. Maybe one of the factions had an important convoy that crashed on the planet and their enemies are trying to recover it. How about that?

Stormtroopers fighting CIS holdouts makes a lot of sense to me. We’ve gotten a bit of the in the canon novel Tarkin and in the Rebels TV show.

I can see the Tantive IV map as a decent approximation of fighting aboard the a starship during the Clone Wars but the Death Star…I really can’t explain that one away.

4 Likes

Perhaps during the Death Star’s contstruction (and before the full conversion to stormtrooper armor) CIS battle droids attacked to prevent it from coming online?

Catalyst says the Death Star began construction early in the clone wars.

(Catalyst also says that the design came from Palpatine to Dooku to the Geonosians taken by the republic and then after all those hand changes got built.)

(Galen Erso is only responsible for the death star’s power source. not the entire thing.)

1 Like

that would make sense

though I find it hilarious it’s on the galactic map for conquest because realtalk, in actual canon Dagobah has like 0 strategic importance

1 Like

Huh, I never thought of that, it’s a fun theory. Though ROTS implies that the Death Star only had a minimal frame (and probably very view habitable compartments) built by the time the Clone Wars ended.

That being said, the Death Star’s construction schedule really is quite muddy in terms of what happened when. I’m about to start reading Catalyst so hopefully that should clear things up.

2 Likes

[quote=“legomaster1378, post:788, topic:5579”]
I’m about to start reading Catalyst so hopefully that should clear things up
[/quote] good choice that’s probably my favorite Star Wars aside from ahsoka.

2 Likes

Battlefront 2 is the bomb! i’m very interested to see how the new battlefront 2 will turn out.

2 Likes

Indeed it is! Got any favourite maps or factions?

Hoth is a great map, but I also like the modded geanosis map that’s looks more movie accurate for a battle field, and I like playing as the CIS/ empire, republic comes of second best while rebels are a bit meh in this game.

Eh, it feels a bit too open for my tastes (the AI usually suck in it).

Oooh, what mod is that?

Might I ask why you think that?