The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna

So… this could be a lot to take in.

10 Likes

Well that happened a lot sooner than expected.

Also, the sky is cracking. This is… loosely disconcerting.

Well that became suddenly dramatic

These latest few panels have been your best yet, imo… I’m really enjoying this

Well, then…

10 Likes

looks like we’ll be seeing that seventh toa, whoever it is, sooner than we think

Well, that escalated quickly.

funny I said those exact words 2 days ago, :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t be so suuuure.

I’m a little confused— what’s that eight pronged lazor looking thing? And what’s the bottom middle panel on 111, and did Mata Nui stand up fully before the finger island sunk into the sea?

Look, I don’t want to spoil the big twists this early. The characters will explain what all this imagery means later.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, my interpretation is that what they’re seeing is all just some sort of projection/vision - the robot isn’t actually rising, they’re just looking at a mural or something that depicts the creation of the Toa. Everything shaking around and the Toa falling is just because of a storm, presumably caused by Makuta.

I mean, yes, that is LITERALLY what’s happening. They’re seeing abstract murals, and Makuta is reaching out all the way from the mainland to trash the temple.

1 Like

Do you plan on officially publishing this series like you did with Planet Ripple? Or you can’t do it due to copyright reasons?

I can’t publish it. It is strictly a fancomic.

I’ve been working on “The Toa” non-stop lately, and you know what? At the start of this year, I looked at a list of all the scenes and developments I had planned and wondered how I’d ever find the time to clear them. At this point though, I can safely say this story will definitely wrap up this year, making room for a Nova Orbis comic in 2021. Looking at everything that’s transpired so far… The Toa’s at least halfway done, I’d say. Next time I start uploading, I should finish the second “act” fairly quickly.

While we’re all still here, I’m just wondering what regular readers’ overall thoughts are this far in? How has “The Toa” changed in your mind? When I last took a break from it, the story was played mostly straight, just the 2001 Bionicle you remember with some more humor and mild character tweaks. When I said things were going to veer away from the canon timeline though, I meant it. We’re well outside familiar territory now, but I promise it’s all going to gel together seamlessly by the end.

As for what’s next? Well… I’m going to work on a video for a few days to tide my youtube audience over since it’s been almost two months since Lego Rewind ended. Should be done by the end of the week. Then I’m going to catch up on the remaining commissions, then I’m going to finish preparing Planet Ripple Volume 5 for release (make a file for amazon, proof it, you get the gist) and… I guess we’ll get back to the Toa and see how far we get before I take another break.

11 Likes

Cool beans. I still need to acquire a copy of Planet Ripple.

I’ve been keeping up with your work on “The Toa” for a while now, mostly quietly in recent months, but I do see a lot of improvement from where you started to where you are now (which is really just additional improvement from where you already began, which was a pretty high bar to start off with). Your artwork and coloring has, of course, improved greatly, though it still retains your unique style.

In terms of the lore, I think you’re doing a great job of reinterpreting the story we all know and love. The way you’re introducing concepts that weren’t revealed until late in the G1 story at this point in time, and really highlighting the interconnection in the original lore, makes this retelling feel very mythological, almost as if this might be the way Matoran from thousands of years after the end of the G1 story might have memorialized the Toa (perhaps I’m getting at something you may have already thought of here…I know that the characters you’ve created in Nova Orbis are in the distant future of the G1 story. Perhaps “The Toa” is the story they tell each other about what happened in the Before-Time, or once told each other, before things started to fade away?)

Overall, I think the strongest aspect of this whole retelling is the way it honors and respects the lore it’s rewriting. It’s not slavish in its conformity to the G1 story, but it’s not unrecognizable either. I, for one, am really looking forward to how you wrap up this story (or this part of the story, however you frame it), and to how it’s going to connect, inform, and inspire your future fan-projects. Keep it up, dude! I know the traffic here might seem slow, but even if not everyone gets a chance to comment, you can rest assured that people are paying attention to this!

Also…

This pleases me greatly…

5 Likes

Hey everyone, just letting you know that I am BACK and I’m determined to finish this story over the summer! Expect new pages to go up tomorrow.

9 Likes

And we’re finally back with new pages! Feedback is appreciated.

10 Likes