The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna

There is soooooooooo much to unpack in this scene. Any thoughts?

10 Likes

Geez, I could do a Kopaka charecter study on these scenes alone…

Oooh… please do.

Would if I had the time.

To summarize though, he seems to me like the sort of person deeply cares about his teamates. Enough to make them do things they dislike for their own health and saftey. His tendacies to be alone lends credence to the thought that he is an introvert. (Not shy, that’s something else.) So, he’s splitting up, both because he’s nore comfortable, but also for the group’s persobal safety. He comes off as cold, and in some ways he is, but for the most part he’s simply an introverted individual, trying to protect those he cares about.

Obviously, he hasn’t known them long enough to really care for them deeply, but if he’s the personality type I think he is, then he grows attached quickly.

1 Like

This scene was originally going to be much more drawn out, another montage like pages 76-80, cutting back and forth between the Toa nabbing their remaining masks and Kopaka’s own quest set to Ryan Queen’s “She Was Forgotten” or Rusty Root’s “On My Way,” but… I decided it was too repetitive. Also, while I’d usually opt for “show, don’t tell” like in that earlier montage, just observing the characters doing things and not just being TOLD that they’re doing things… it’s been a while since we heard things from Takua’s perspective so I gave him a moment to express how truly proud he is of the Toa, how things always should’ve been. The whole scavenger hunt for the masks really is a formality at this stage.

Yeah, this is basically a dark version of the classic animation where he stops an avalanche. But now what does he see?

9 Likes

I’m sorry, all I could think of in the third-to-last panel was the line from Mulan.

“They popped out of the ground! Like DAISIES!”

2 Likes

This is a baaaaaad trip.

11 Likes

Kopaka being overtaken instead of Lewa for once? Now that is a change of pace. But it doesn’t feel out of place at all, you’'ve made a good setup in line with Kopaka’s character. Keep it up!

1 Like

Thank you. This was Makuta’s back up plan if he couldn’t get Lewa. Isolate the lone wolf and wear him down.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Just read it all today. I really enjoy the twists and the characters have been fleshed out really well. The discussion about the three virtues was enlightening. The atmosphere is very inspirational, that flashback of the Gsr has that perfect lighting…thank you so much for the series Nick!

4 Likes

No prob! More pages coming later today.

1 Like

8 Likes

That’s pretty much sums tallon overworld 2 up.

Is that my boye Kapura?

Edited for Double Post- Prentice1215

9 Likes

“Vakama! Another vision?”

11 Likes

Wow. Kopaka’s silhouette in the second panel of pg. 132 is just…

:no_mouth:

It’s almost cinematic in appearance…

2 Likes

Here we go. I’ve been waiting soooo long to show Kopaka infected. It feels like I drew that panel years ago.

So how’s everybody feel about this?

9 Likes

Infected Kopaka definitely has a very intimidating presence. Not sure if I like the implication that Kopaka’s insistence on remaining distant is due to Makuta’s tampering, but the likely ensuing battle is going to be one for the ages.

I’m not insinuatIng that, though. Makuta didn’t do that.