The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna

Really loving the philosophical depth you’re bringing to the G1 story, especially in these last few pages. Takua’s arguments about destiny are very theological, and a very nice reflection on the concepts of free will and evil.

Looking forward to the upcoming action!

3 Likes

Thanks. Sorry to say, I need a break. I’m taking the next week off. Maybe something new on Saturday. So if anyone’s been saving up, what’s the first impression of this story, the first “issue” of The Toa and what would you like to see in the series going forward?

3 Likes

I guess I haven’t said too much yet.

I’m absolutely loving this so far. Your art style is wonderful as always. I’m really liking the plot, too; the way you’re changing things up is new and exciting while still being recognizable as the story we already know. Normally I would be annoyed by the focus on Tahu, but I can’t complain about what I’ve been seeing. Both he and Takua are refreshing updates on what I remember of them, and their discussion of the three virtues was intriguing and insightful.

Taking a week off is… gah, I can’t think of a word that doesn’t make it sound like I’m giving you permission. I look forward to when you get around to writing more, though.

2 Likes

These are awesome. I’ve attempted comics before, and the first page will be good, and then the rest of it is always really lame. Yours are consistently great so far though. Keep up the good work! I really like your art style and your scripting is great too!

1 Like

Sorry guys, I’ll get back to working on this soon. I’ve started working on the Planet Ripple trailer and once that’s done, I’ll just finish up a few commissions and then it’s back to this comic.

5 Likes

Is that the Death Star I see?

Huh? Where?

2 Likes

In the first picture.

Pretty sure that’s a Toa Canister…

3 Likes

Oh…My bad

It sure FEELS like it’s been years since the last page went up, huh?

How’s everybody doin?

10 Likes

You can just hear the “CRACK!” when it makes contact.

5 Likes

Hope everybody had a happy Bionicle Day.

8 Likes

Any thoughts on the recent pages? Sorry I dropped off the face of Sphereus Magna for… a year and a half, but this is the real deal.

I’ve noticed at time that it can be somewhat hard to read, but for the panels themselves they can easily make up for that. I’m a person who pays more attention to the visuals expressed than the dialogue most of the time, so there are time I’ve had a tiny bit of trouble with dialogue but the visuals helped me along.

so far I think it is really great and I am hoping for more. I love the more “organic” style and the way it has been presented.

Yeah… I can barely look at pages 20-24. I went back today and completely redid the text. Trimmed it down to about half and cleaned up the layout. I’ll upload the new versions of those pages in a moment.

1 Like

Yeah the text was really my only complaint if I can call it that, so far I am invested to see what you’ll do with this story.

Very nice. I got into Bionicle late, so i can objectively say this captures the feeling of the early years.

Think of how confused Takua must be. He’s been told for ages that the Toa would be there to guide the Matoran to freedom, and here he is having play teacher for an oversized amnesiac toddler. How backwards.

6 Likes

Welcome back! It’s good to see you coming back to this, especially after your much-deserved ■■■■■ into your personal projects.

I have to say, there is a very dramatic difference between your previous pages for this project and the new ones, a difference I really enjoy. The previous pages were very vibrant, bright, and colorful, much like your old work. That was good for the beginning of the story, I think, because it conveyed the richness and diversity of Mata Nui as a setting, as well as its characters.

This time around, though, I really enjoy the way you’re using lighting and contrast. The colors are a little more muted because of the shading, but it contributes a very cinematic effect to these pages, which is really awesome. I especially love page 25, the last two panels of page 30, and page 31, which make excellent use of sunlight and atmosphere.

As always, I really enjoy the way you draw BIONICLE characters. It really feels like you’ve struck a happy medium between the biological and the mechanical aspects of the characters, and you have an excellent sense for reimagining the appearances of the Toa and Matoran, making them unique and visually exciting while also keeping them recognizable.

I do hope you’re able to keep going with this, no matter how long it takes or how many breaks come along the way (my selfish half would also be ecstatic for a potential return to Nova Orbis, though that’s entirely up to you). Keep up the good work, and good luck with all of your other projects!