The Transformers

So I finished More Than Meets the Eye, and here’s my review of it

go buy it

nah but for real, now that I’ve read the final volume of it, I can safely say, not only is this one of the best transformers comics I’ve ever read, it’s one of the best comics period. This is a character driven story first and foremost, so much so that the end goal doesn’t really seem to matter all that much when you’re reading it, you’re just enjoying these characters and the way they bounce off of each other. Not only that, but because these characters are for the most part, a buncha D-list Transformers, most f which people haven’t really heard of, it’s quite easy for new readers to hop into it.

The general plot is, the Autobot/Decepticon war is over, this group of no name 'bots are out to find the Knights of Cybertron, a group of ancient do gooders who they hope will help solve their problems back on their homeworld… with many, many detours, but these detours make up most of the storyline and help us dive into the characters to see what makes them tick. That is another thing, these characters are all amazingly well written, they’re relatable and very funny, but it’s not all comedy with the Lost Light crew, James Roberts, the writer, handles tone shifts very well, things can be funny one minute and all go to hell in the next and it doesn’t seem jarring. When people die in this series, you care, and man it hurts. The art is amazing, it’s so detailed, but not so much so you can’t tell what’s going on.

it’s well written, funny, dramatic, beautifully drawn, it’s got it all, I highly recommend More Than Meets the Eye, as it truly is that

can’t wait to see what happens in Lost Light #1 and why the heck Rodimus’ color scheme now looks like the love child of Cyclonus and Tailgate

also on another note, I got Titans Return Rewind, he’s adorable and wonderful

2 Likes

I will eventually.

So, by now, you guys have probably all seen Transformers RID Soundwave, and as you all know, it’s a massive departure from his Prime version. Also, he now turns into an armoured truck, much like Breakdown. So, here’s what I’m thinking: what if Soundwave stole Breakdown’s body and used it to upgrade himself. I don’t really have anything to back this up, other than appearance, as season 3 isn’t out yet, but I do think that would be a cool way to explain why he looks like he does that isn’t “he just looks like this now”. Anyways, I hope you guys found this a bit intriguing.

6 Likes

I dunno if I would buy that theory, they will likely just say “He got a new body”

I just wish they kept the Prime version, it looked more unique and creepy. This just looks like every other RID character.

1 Like

Yeah, it was really just a thought, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they just don’t give an explanation.

I honestly kind of like the new design. I’ll always prefer the TFP design over this, but I love how it looks like the G1 design! G1/IDW is my favourite of the continuities, so I always love when they pay homage to it. Also, the shoulder cannon is adorable!

1 Like

I think the G1 design and its homages work well enough, But I will always prefer Prime Soundwave.

I like this new design because it reminds me a lot of the Animated version of the character (who is awesome btw!).
That said, I really want to get the Titans Return Leader class figure of him over this one, as I already have Laserbeak and Ravage (who are not as bad as people say they are).

1 Like

Yeah, the same with me.

also, is it just me, or does the head design really clash with the simplistic look of the rest of the toy?

that design matches better with his G1 self

but for silent Prime Soundwave? ehh, not so sure, though Starscream looks more G1 now, maybe Megatron will come back and also look more G1

2 Likes

Kind of hope so, although he already was fairly G1-esque, if you look at the design aspects. In fact, I’d say he’s the most G1 accurate character in the whole show!

1 Like

Well RID’15 Soundwave looks nice, but Bludgeon looks super cool.

1 Like

linky liiiiiinks?

Here you go!

2 Likes

These look pretty neat, I wonder how many of them will be canon though.

oh yeah the attempt at making Prime SW into WFC/FOC Soundwave

well

it’s something

Meh, Soundwave always looks best in robot mode anyway.

2 Likes

PTSD flashbacks to G1

Yup.

C’mon, you gotta admit it’s somewhat cool :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I love Soundwave’s Prime form, but THIS new design looks AWESOME. It’s a great mix of his G1, War for Cybertron, and Prime forms. I haven’t gotten too many Transformers lately, but I think this will be one I have to get.

1 Like

Ah yes, I remember the cassette player is the one thing I looked at as a child and said “What if this was a robot?”

It looks cool, I am just a sucker for the super skinny, super skinny Soundwave, here he just looks…generic. Every other bot in the series is a broad-shouldered, barrel chested buff dude. They kinda took away Soundwave’s identity with this.