Things You Dislike About the Channel

Lets talk subjectively. (cause we all love to hear feedbacks)

TTV Podcasts: Long talks are nice; but often they waste couple of minutes arguing with each other and yelling (needs less of that, thats just how I feel about the whole thing, take it as you may). The topics range from very interesting, to so-so, to not. There are few to almost no fan guest included in the podcasts and often and not they dont stand out very much or dont talk as much so that we the rest of the fans would get to know them as well…

(positive side: they fixed the logistical problem of having too much people applying for the guest starrings and also the hassle of actually evaluating if the people before the podcast thing actually happened. In general, it would take a lot of time doing this interview thing, which will can be a detriment for other content they wished to do while they were wasting it on interviews;
negative side: No new fresh faces, opinions, ideas, or voices heard in the podcasts quite so often, they are primarily focused on the boards which did help with the communication thing, but its not as personal as a direct visual and audio conversation is, we all act differently when on the net and while talking to someone upfront).

TTV Talks: It really depends on the topic they are talking about, some are great episodes, some are so-so, others are meh or bad. Cant really change that much with this, it is a much more casual thing but the arguing thing also implies here as well, its just wasted minutes.

TTV Set Reviews: Often delayed and reviewed very slowly (needs alos to be changed if possible). But the reviews try to be as objective as they can be which is a plus and are also a great archived source for almost all the Bionicle sets ever created. This needs very few updates, its mainly technical stuff which Eljay is constantly trying to improve, which it shows comparing his first reviews the the most recent ones.

TTV games: Needs more of it, and expand with other types of LEGO games besides Bionicle.

TTV Interviews: Also needs to be expanded. This is a bit trickier to be done since its usually not up to TTV itself when it comes to contacting LEGO employees for an interview /podcast. They way they talk to the LEGO employees is much more professional and respectful. Kahi is a great example.

TTV Autopsy and TOP 10s: Not much to say about these, they are done really well and besides the subjectiveness of the Top 10s (which is constant with each and every top 10 videos out there, you cant escape of that), it also tries to be as objective (or at least give a a reason as to why its picked on that spot where it is), its not WatchMojo level of awful subjectiveness, so thats a plus.

TTV Product Showcase: What happen to that project? Will it return? It was good, but it sorta stopped mid season.

Hope this is constructive enough for you all and I hope you take some advices here into consideration. I did not try to “be the enemy” here, I just wanted you all to be more aware of some things as well as help you out with some other things. Cause hell, I came closer with this community because of your 2015 leaks, which lead me to your channel, which lead me to these boards. If you never did what you initially did, who knows what would have happened. Would I even be still interested in the sets, would I have even bought the 2015 Tahu and Gali, would have had even met all these wonderful fans here…food for though.

Moved, along with replies, from the “TTV will no longer report on leaks” topic; it seems to fit better here. —John Smith

6 Likes

I just want to mention that TTV Talks depends on personal interest in the subject more than anything. I’m also curious why you wrote this out. I don’t completely understand its relevance to the topic.

Its to help them out with pointing out what a fan thinks of their current content and what they can change in the long run, as this leak removal thing is a perfect time and place to suggest such things, it is quite a change.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the in-depth analysis of our content. We really appreciate the feedback. :smiley:

-Mesonak

5 Likes

This is aimed more so at the Message Boards than the channel itself, so…I don’t know where else to put it.

My biggest complaint is still seeing closed topics in my lists.

If the topic is closed, I don’t need to see it, so I would like for it to be if a topic gets closed that it doesn’t appear on lists anymore.

There’s no use in keeping them around. At most there’s only one or two comments, and comments are disabled for them, so they can’t possibly aid in advancing Trust Levels. As well, the topics are closed for a reason, and until they are fixed I have no need to see them on my New Topics list.

But that’s pretty much it! The site is really good otherwise!

3 Likes

a small issue I have is when you guys say things like “I’ll put it in the description” or “I’ll trow an image on screen” and then you guys don’t do it.

2 Likes

I just spent 4 hours listening to the “TTV roasts” video (and I’m salty that I missed the live one), and it kinda got me thinking about how I think of each of the hosts and the way they present themselves and interact… I don’t know whether my ramblings will translate to any meaningful suggestions for improvements, but these are one listener’s thoughts on each of the hosts:

I’ll probably get increasingly salty as I’m typing this, so expect things to get a bit… satirical

Takuma: Let’s start with the ones who were not around… honestly, my main complaint is just that. What does Takuma do? Seriously? I mean, even when he’s on the podcast, he doesn’t seem to speak up that often, which is sad 'cause I like the fact that he often sounds relatively coherent within the chaos that the podcast (rather amusingly) often degrades too. That and he was easily the most interesting person to watch on the Vessel versions of Book Club because even when listening he’s…animated in a comic, exaggerated way that’s pretty amusing to watch. Maybe that’s just me. Shame we don’t get to see more of it, though.

By the way, if you guys do end up making a show out of the RPG, which would be like the first thing that Takuma is actually regularly involved in, add webcams; speaking from my limited RPG experience, I can say that the ability to see a person, even if they don’t ‘act’ their character much, helps a lot in making the game enjoyable to play and to watch. Especially if that person looks and acts like they walked in from the comic pages.

Exx: @prpldragon’s drawings of him are cute. He’s from somewhere in Scandinavia. I can remember him being on maybe two podcasts, though granted I’ve only been around for a year so maybe he’s in some older ones…? That’s all I know. Yeah, I suppose the location thing makes scheduling a nightmare, but I honestly haven’t heard enough of Exx to actually form a cohesive opinion on him… which is kind of problematic. Moving on.

Purple ha. Hahahahaha. HAHHAHAHAHA! … seriously. You were hired… two weeks ago? Three weeks? You draw stuff. Really frickn’ great stuff. That’s all I know. Might be a viable candidate for roasting next year, when we actually have learned something about you besides: ‘You draw stuff. Really frickn’ great stuff.’

Viper: Kinda similar to Takuma in terms of quantitative presence, automatically stands out because… well, whenever I hear a woman’s voice on the podcast, I can be pretty sure it’s Viper talking. Unfortunately, half the time she ends up a) defending accents and/or British-isms of her and Kahi, which sooner or later gets tiring, b) being spoken over by someone who can produce more volume with a mic or c) blabbering incoherently through uncontrolled laughter about something that everyone else is completely clueless about. I think Viper’s perfectly capable of bringing up interesting points and perspectives in a discussion, but due to the things above… I’m not hearing it often. Maybe that ‘History of Bionicle’ thing that used to be mentioned on her ‘cast’ page would have given some more opportunity for that. Like the dark humor, though.

Venom: Whenever I hear “I’m .Venom” in the introductions, the first thing that comes up in my mind is: “oh, he’s here too,” followed by: “well, there’ll be a few interjections throughout whatever argument breaks out between the louder folks, but not much beyond that.” I feel more or less the same when I hear “I’m Viper” (though she’s on pretty often, at least) and “I’m Takuma Nuva,” but a lot of the time I’m a lot more interested in what they have to say than in what Venom brings to the table; not because Venom doesn’t have anything interesting to say, though, but in the way he says it.

My real issue with Venom is this: he sounded sooooooooo much more personable and energetic in his defence/retort/whatever-you-call-it after his roast than I’ve ever considered him to in just about any podcast or the MOC spotlight, particularly the latter. Really dude, when I pay attention you bring up a lot of interesting points about whatever MOC you’re looking over that week, and you couple that with a detailed analysis that I’d really appreciate… if you didn’t deliver it in a monotone that could rival that of the professors in whose classes my notes could be summed up as: twenty crude Bionicle drawings and a sentence about (insert subject of class here). It makes it sound like you’re phoning it in, which really doesn’t do the show any good. The thing that makes TTV interesting to listen to, for me, is the energy; find a way to bring that into your speech.

Meso: The ‘white knight’ thing? Yeah… it really doesn’t do Meso much good. I recall at one point Var mentioning that Meso isn’t the most interesting person to listen to, and well, he’s right; Meso comes off as just a regular, nice, but therefore rather boring guy most of the time, unless someone else really manages to provoke him into an argument, which for some reason I don’t remember happening that often. I suppose that personality works well for reporting the news, which is one of the things the channel does so good job there, but… whenever I think back on episode ‘highlights’ and things that just stuck out to me, Meso isn’t in there. Except when laughing in the background. Or when he’s seeing diamonds everywhere. Methonak…

Eljay: Officially disproves the idea that the eye of the storm is supposed to be relatively calm as compared to… well, the storm around it. As mentioned in the roast, Eljay’s mellowed a lot, but that image of him seemingly stoking controversy just for the sake of starting a verbal riot and then competing with Var for who can shout the loudest over it hasn’t really faded yet. And those arguments do make the podcast more fun to listen to… up to a point. A point Eljay seems to habitually force it past.

I think it’s due this aspect of his personality: Eljay will not ever back down from anything. He is always right, and not friendly suggestions, rational arguments, irrational arguments, desperate attempts to move the discussion along, threats, or even brutal and overpowering vocal force from the opposition will convince him otherwise, and he will have the discussion go around in circles until he either stops being argued against or things get so hot inside that Miru that he collapses from hyperthermia. Now, the TTV podcast thrives on argument, or rather ‘lively’ discussion, that keeps it all interesting to listen to, and luckily this doesn’t happen as often as it used to, but every once in a while… Eljay needs to be checked. Preferably by a doctor.

Kahi: Arguments, arguments, arguments… Kahi seems to rapidly be evolving into “Eljay 2.0.” New in version 2.0: the replacement of visceral anger with just enough hints of fact to make the argument appear more fearsome on the surface. The opposition is not impressed with ‘Eljay 2.0’, though, and as such frequently makes him the target of all sorts of running gags based on cultural differences, which are interesting enough up until the point that the argument veers into racial territory, at which point no one seems to be able to say anything coherent anymore. End result? Kahi often seems to progress from relatively calm and sensible early on to increasingly desperate to get his point across by any means necessary by the end. This is the one who’s working on becoming a lawyer, right?

Seriously, though, when he isn’t having to defend himself with tooth and claw from everything that is rightfully and not rightfully being thrown his way, Kahi does have useful and interesting things to say, which I suppose is a lot better than the old Kahi who I mostly recognized as the one who could ramble on about an experience for three times the amount of time in which said experience actually took place without ever arriving at something that even resembled a point.

Var: Comes up in my mind as lacking three things: a filter, a shred of empathy, and a volume knob. Small wonder Eljay kisses his butt so much; Var rivals Donald Trump for the title of “Most Domineering Personality Among Their Usual Company,” and would be a contender against the 1883 big eruption cataclysmic explosion of Mt. Krakatoa for “Loudest Thing Recorded on Tape” except ‘tape’ isn’t really used anymore. Seriously, when I think of Var, I think of Var shouting over everyone, only interrupted periodically by that most annoying of sounds: the censoring bleep. And audio distortions from his poor beleaguered microphone not being able to keep up with jet-engine noise levels.

Frankly, I would have loved to have seen that lack of apparent empathy brought up in the roast, though, except everyone was apparently too scared to mention it: Var’s personality in-podcast is basically the polar opposite of Meso’s: Meso empathizes and tries way too hard to see all sides in everything, coming off as exceedingly bland in the process, while Var can and will say whatever pleases his majesty regardless of what side he’s on, coming off as exceedingly blunt in the process. Maybe it is just a ‘on-screen persona’ type of thing, but well, as someone who really only recognizes the cast from how they present themselves on the podcast, Var comes off as… annoying and rude, like Old Eljay but without that ‘poor guy, that’s just who he is’ factor to make it tolerable. Also, by this point any and all variations of “MARDI GRAAAAAH” and “You’re fired” are getting a bit old as far as jokes go.

But whatever, Var’s the CEO, so what he says goes. Especially when even someone with a megaphone would struggle to be heard over him when he decides he has something more important to say.

9 Likes

That and he says the FUNNIEST things. Him, I like

PTSD flashbacks to recent TTV episode where most of the episode was Var and Ven in a screaming match…

1 Like

That you stopped reporting leaks! :sweat_smile:No but seriously I’m fine with having a delay for the shows on vessel except the podcast I would pay for early access but my parents wouldn’t and the mobile vessel is the worst on phone

I’m doing a lot of behind-the-scenes website work (thought it won’t be behind-the-scenes for much longer). It is interesting that you point out that I say less during podcasts but what I do say is noteworthy as if they’re separate from each other. The reason my statements are so well thought-out is because I’m taking the time to formulate them before they are said. It’s about quality over quantity. The stuff that isn’t thought out in advance is just my quick wit kicking in.

As for the RPG, I had already decided that cameras are a must, despite what a pain they have already proven for Book Club. I’d go more into that project’s current status, but I figure I’ll leave it for a podcast or somesuch.

4 Likes

Not behind the scenes for much longer… now I’m very much looking forward to the reveal.

I’d love more quantity of quality, but I get your point. Pity that we didn’t get to hear that great wit and reasoning in the roast, though.

Okay… now I really can’t wait. :smiley:

Let’s play of “Bionicle The Game” and “Bionicle Heroes” at some point would be awesome.

One thing. The lack of after show uploaded to vessel early access. Other than that I am thoroughly enjoying the channel in its current state.

I don’t understand this complaint.

2 Likes

That’s more or less the image I get when thinking of you in the podcast, which… it feels like you kind of overpower them with raw volume sometimes, to the point where audio quality suffers for it with distortion. And that ‘bleep’ sound does then show up periodically, though I’m not sure who’s actually the one that causes it by saying one of a list of select words. More of a personal thing, but I find it a really annoying sound. That’s not really any kind of constructive comment, though, since you guys do have to keep it all appropriate for kids to listen to and that’s not really up for change.

Now that I’ve a) actually had some sleep and b) come down from the roasting mood, I think that one of the reasons that moments like that on the podcast stand out so much to me is the contrast between them and the personality you reflect in calmer waters like the ‘Bionicle Autopsy’ videos. Poor analogy perhaps, but it’s like half the time I’m listening to Bruce Banner and the other half I’m listening to the Hulk, which is kind of jarring. One video, it’s calm and reasonable Var, while in the other it’s some kind of RageVar… And don’t get me wrong, it is entertaining to a degree, but… I’d like not to feel like I have to turn down the volume when RageVar appears just so I don’t lose my hearing.

Just to stress as well, everything in that post is very much falls under the category of ‘surface impressions’ and rambling without a whole lot of thought for the underlying reasons, and there’s more than a healthy dose of sarcasm and hyperbole in there. I get that this crew, fun as they are, gives you a lot to get angry about, but you’re all still friends, which is what makes the podcast still fun to listen to. But there are times when I really do get rather confused or turned off by how the cast members present themselves, and ‘RageVar’ does fall in that category (along with college lecturer Ven and extend-the-argument-beyond-all-reason-at-any-cost Eljay).

Hey man, if you don’t like my college lectures, why did you register for my class? >=[

10 Likes

Fair point… fair point…

Because you showcase MOCs that are way better than anything I could hope to achieve in brick, and frankly it still beats actual class lectures. Your voice just has a kind of droning quality to it… just an observation.

1 Like

What do I not like about the channel? 2 things:

1. that Hot off the Anvil episode 3 isn’t on it

2. that I’m not a member of the channel’s cast :wink:

1 Like

WHERE’S BIOCRAFT?! :wink:

For a while I’ve wanted to do a sort of review of a few of TTV’s current shows in my own thoughts. I’m not sure if this falls totally under “Things I dislike.” but I think this is the best place to post it.

The TTV Podcast
The podcast has been going strong for a long time now. I was just re-listening to ep 100 earlier (one of my favorites) and I realized just how much you guys have come since then. I really look forward to it every week.
However, one issue that arose recent is the After Show. Not that the After Show itself is bad or that I don’t like that it’s a thing. But that one of my favorite parts of the podcast was always the stories you guys would tell. In the last few months you guys talk about moving those stories to the after show, and it never comes out. Therefore, I miss out on a lot of stories I wanted to hear. A lot of stuff I thought would have been extremely entertaining to listen to. Now in “TTV Talks Crap about each other” you addressed this a bit. But as of now, it is still a con, and an issue that has bugged me for quite a while now.

Bionicle Top Tens
I’ve enjoyed this show since it came out, however as it’s went on I’ve found certain host tend to really lag through the last and it feels as though it’s just dragging on far too long. I understand how difficult something like this is to do, but I find top ten list are really hard to keep interest in unless it’s properly paced and filled with enough energy.

TTV Talks
This may just be personal preference, but I find that the shorter time frame (though often exceeded) can often be a con to this series. The shorter episodes feel like they’re being cut off in the middle of a good conversation and it’s left feeling unfinished.

5 Likes