Thoughts On Constructive Criticism?

Do you guys want constructive criticism on your MOCs? I personally love both giving and receiving CC. I think it’s one of the greatest ways to improve and refine your skills as a MOCer. Praise feels really great, but I find solid well-thought-out critique to be even more satisfying. That being said, it has occurred to me that some might interpret pointing out the flaws in a MOC as a hostile or rude action. So what do you guys think?

• Yes! I love getting constructive criticism!
  • No. It’s a waste of time and energy.

0 voters

7 Likes

How does the math work here.

14 Likes

I supposed it depends. Normally I don’t like it unless I ask (so if I do, then yeah definitely).
If I don’t ask but I’m in a good mood, then I’ll let it slide. But if I’m not, then I absolutely hate it (even if it’s good advice).

(It’s usually a good idea to specify if you want critiques or not /// ask if you may critique someone’s work before going ahead and doing so).

i like it when people compliment it in addition to critiquing. it eases the pain lol

11 Likes

Easy. Some people voted for both.

~W12~

I’d like for you to guess what my stance on this is.

3 Likes

I try to say at least one or two things I like about a MOC before I move on to possible improvements. How’s that?

You think Constructive Critisism is a crime against Mata Nui and wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot Rahkshi staff. :wink: /s

Is it just me or does no-one use /s anymore?

4 Likes

Praise is good, but can come off as lazy. If someone just says “oh, cool nice Moc” that means they didn’t take the time to thoroughly analyse it and find areas of improvement. It’s like they just took a glance and moved on. I already know my moc is cool otherwise I wouldn’t have posted it :stuck_out_tongue:

Critique, no matter how harsh it may come across, is good because if they have sufficient amount of reasoning, it shows that they took the time to examine the Moc. They critiqued because they cared.

9 Likes

Constructive criticism is better than just praise however you still need to try to balance it and be respectful at the same time. Its difficult to do but it can help a lot more than just saying something is good or bad without providing ways of improvement.

1 Like

For me, Criticism is generally a good thing. It helps you see what the community as a whole thinks is wrong or right with your MOC and can even give some helpful pointers on what you should do in the future.

Here’s when it sucks.
So, some ordinary Joe walks into your Nice Lil’ MOC Topic and says “I hate it”. Nothing else. That’s probably one of the worst things you can say. All that post tells the Moccist is that their creation sucks. It doesn’t even allow the User to figure out what to fix. But that’s not the worst thing you can get.

The absolute worst thing someone could say is “This MOC is bad because it doesn’t follow the Canon story.” Really? It’s their creation. Let them come up with their own story.

6 Likes

Not liking Constructive Criticism shows that you think your work is perfect, which nearly never the case. Unless you’re the next Michelangelo or Donatello, there’s always going to be something you can improve upon, especially with MOCing. That doesn’t mean you can’t be satisfied with your work, but in order to improve, you have to accept that your work is flawed in some way.

The issue becomes when “good” artists refuse to take criticism because they think they’re perfect. Since they have made things that people praised in the past, they see themselves as above those who are are giving the critique.

For example, I know one MOCist who was pretty good. I won’t give his name, but let’s just say he’s a former member of this community. He posted a MOC once, and there was a lot of legitimate critique about it. However, since the MOCist viewed himself as “pretty good,” he refused to listen to the advice of others, especially those who hadn’t posted MOCs publicly. Thus, the MOC didn’t improve, and the MOCist didn’t improve either.

I don’t post real MOCs often anymore, and I know that I’m not very good. However, I KNOW that I was worse before @Hawkflight came along to criticize my MOCs. While it kinda hurt at the time, it absolutely helped me develop my skills. I think Rockho said it best,

So do I think critiquing a MOC is hostile or rude? No, not at all. In fact the opposite.

I think people sometimes get confused though, and think that “critique” applies to comments like “this moc sux”. That’s not critique, that’s a statement of opinion, and one not supported by any evidence. Honestly, it shouldn’t even be lumped in with the rest of critiques.

In sum, Constructive Criticism is…constructive, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you can grow, even if you think you are perfect.

12 Likes

tbh, not liking CC is just
Daft, honestly the only reason im somewhat better at MOCing is thanks to CC from multiple people
Its almost
narcissistic
like slime said.

7 Likes

Is this even a question?

Constructive criticism is beneficial but for those who take critique badly there’s always the hamburger feedback. Any comment is good as long as it gives something to the subject and not just be a waste of space such as:

A few people are saying constructive criticism is waste of time and energy? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!?!

But yeah, I feel CC is needed for any form of art or creation. You need people to be able to point out what is good, what went wrong, and what can be fixed. Also it needs to stay constructive.

Also when I see people saying CC is bad and a waste of time, they come off as immature and not ready for uploading their creations. Heck, they probably shouldn’t even be on the internet at that point. I’m not going to kick them off the internet, I’m just saying. You probably shouldn’t be on the internet if you can’t handle legitimate, constructive criticism… in my opinion.

1 Like

I always prefer to receive constructive criticism, even if I don’t put into practice the advise people offer. I might not change whatever MOC or thing I’ve presented because I personally like my own choices, but a piece of criticism on something now could always come back and influence me in the future. I might not improve on what I’ve received critique on, but getting it lets me get a better idea for what the general public, often a more experienced public than myself, thinks my work should be.

3 Likes

What is the point in uploading your MOC.And not expecting or wanting cc.

The whole point of uploading it is so people see it, suggest how to improve and then over time you get better.

Not liking MOCing criticism is strange. If you don’t want the flaws to be pointed out, show to your family, or keep it to yourself cos people are going to voice.if they don’t like a certain aspect f something.

Not wanting it makes you sound like a spoilt child who cries when things don’t go their way

4 Likes

Often, when I CC, I forget to add a compliment and people just say “you think it sucks then?” Meanwhile I am not a fan of the fluff known as praise.

1 Like

The only way to improve is if you here what other people have to say. I’ve always enjoyed receiving constructive criticism because I’m often able to implement it in later models I build, or other media I create. Comments like “Good job” are appreciated, but they don’t help me much.

2 Likes

I love being criticized because then I can see where I messed up. So as long as it’s constructive, I’m a ok with it.

2 Likes

Slime, my man, you speak with so much truth.

Some people however do hide their insults, often driven from salt as criticism.

I don’t wanna look like an idiot, but do you guys have something against people liking your stuff?

Now for my thoughts.
I think CC is actually pretty cool.
I have seen it do some amazing things.
All I need to do is look at @Keravnos and his self moc.
It brings a tear to my eye…