Throwbots/Slizer and Roboriders Discussion Topic

One is from Spark and one is from Flare I think.

2 Likes

Isn’t Spark the super rare one?
Looked it up, you’re correct on both accounts.
Cool.

3 Likes

Glow in the dark disks always designate being from either Spark or Flare.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought they were pretty cool. I kind of want to get Turbo.

2 Likes

I just noticed something:

The Frost Roborider’s head has a Krana in it

(Using the polybag set because it’s the only good image I can find of Frost’s head)

1 Like

Illuminati confirmed! Were you the first person to relize this?

2 Likes

I don’t know. I just found that out after handling the head IRL.

1 Like

You should tell TTV, it would be interesting news. You should put it on an AMA or something.

1 Like

Faber posted the original illustrations that went on the faceplates of 4 of the Slizer/Throwbots!

http://faberfiles.blogspot.ca/

6 Likes

….wow. These actually look pretty creepy.

2 Likes

Couldn’t find any topic specifically about this. So, this is the Father of Bionicle… While I had no idea that this theme even existed until like 2 years ago, looking at this sets… They look pretty good! While they are nowhere near to level of Bionicle, they had many of the pieces that later Bionicle would use. This was to first theme ever to introduce construction, which would change LEGO forever. Also, they where the first sets ever to come in canisters. Here is a topic for it. Discus, your opinion, what sets you have or had, etc.

Throwbots is a theme that a lot of people like out of respect.
And… That’s it. Respect.
As you said, it was the father of Bionicle. It had a lot of cool and interesting pieces, but it was nowhere near the level of Bionicle. For today’s standards, the sets look like some laughable mocs.

1 Like

Throwbots/Slizers didn’t come in canisters, they came in pods.

I own the complete set apart from the purple one, they’re cool little things, but the only one I really bought duplicates of was Jungle/Amazon, because of all that lovely teal.

4 Likes

I really wish I hadn’t missed out on it.

3 Likes

It was ok. some of the pieces are good for bionicle, but that’s pretty much it.

2 Likes

That reminds me…

Skip on 3:10 to see what I mean

1 Like

Before the massive success that was Bionicle, Lego tried a couple other things. Roboriders and throwbots/slizers were the precursors to the legend of Mata Nui and his kin. These lines were unfortunately doomed to fail. Or maybe it is fortunate because if they had succeeded we would not have Bionicle.

Does anyone have any fond memories? And why do you think these lines failed? If we look at the sets just as they are (ignoring ALL comic book related marketing and story support) and compare it to 2001 Bionicle, why do you think Roboriders and throwbots/slizers failed to take off?

1 Like

They didn’t fail. Slizers and Roboriders were very successful, leading Lego to create Bionicle. Bionicle would’ve only lasted a year as well, but it was quite popular, so they kept it around.

3 Likes

Trowbots and Robo Riders were two cool themes. They had cool pieces and a intersting story. And most important, it started the elemets trope, which will have a important role across LEGO themes…

First, TrowBots:

Then Robo Riders…

Then the Boom with Bionicle…

Hero Factory…

And here we are today, with Ninjago

Of course, those are only some of the themes which used this trope. So obiously, Trowbots and Robo Riders have a lot of merits and we should be thankful that Christian Faber had the brilliant idea to create those things.

3 Likes

Ah yes, that is quite an important thing to notice!

Apart from that I reckon the colour schemes were amazing! We barely ever got turquoise, purple, and yellow Bionicle sets after that!
Correct me if I’m wrong but, these are the ONLY G1 Bionicle sets to include those colours.

2 Likes