Tips To Start MOCing

I want to start mocing but I just need to sort my part. But when I try to I just get bored. Also I don’t know where to start with mocing.

2 Likes

Have you made MOCs before? or is this going to be your first time? if it is the latter, then just try to do upgraded normal stuff, and upgrade that, then upgrade that, and keep upgrading until you have learned to make fully custom stuff. you don’t need to start out huge, just do what you feel like doing and we will help direct you to get better.

5 Likes

I find it quite astonishing that many people, although being fans of Bionicle or Lego for a while, haven’t really invested much time in moccing, instead keeping their sets as-is out of the box for whatever reason. When I was a kid, messing around with, and customizing would almost be my first impulse after getting a set. It never occured to me as a “decision” like, “i’m gonna start moccing” as this topic implies, it was always a natural progression for me (and I think this notion is what Lego advocates for)… just throwing that out there :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Same here, I would always at least modify a set. and then it would somehow fall apart and I would MOC with those pieces. now I buy sets just to MOC with…so…take that as you will.

3 Likes

Me too.

A post was merged into an existing topic: HowTo: MOC Tutorials

And people say Galidor is completely useless for mocing.

2 Likes

Those connections don’t look so stable though…

3 Likes

It’s stable enough, just don’t build the arms too heavy or put heavy weapons on them.

2 Likes

Despite what I’ve heard from others, I recommend using tires. They can fill in lots of gaps that your MOC may have. You can slide them over ball joints and create a bulky area where there is space. For example, on a ccbs bone piece, you can slide the tire over the ball joint and it will cover the spot where an axle connects ball joints in the piece, making it less gappy of you put armor on.

3 Likes

This is what you have to do. Find the weirdest, most outlandishly unusual piece in your collection that you never use, and see that shape as something else. Be creative. Use a minifig helmet as a nose, a sword as a dorsal fin, a mask as a toilet plunger, whatever. That’s the secret to every great moc.

7 Likes

I dare someone to actually try and do this…

3 Likes

Well, not literally but yeah that’d be cool.

1 Like

Challenge accepted :toilet:

3 Likes

I know it’s a bit bigger but this works.

Also I didn’t really make an effort with the arm and sword but it’s just an example.

Well for starters dont make a lazy body (aka inika body) unless your going to add to it. The only time I’ve ever made just an Inika body is to see if the mask looks good ,kind of like a mannequin so don’t make it look like this

@Hafynx I agree. Same with jangbricks most of his Mocs just look like he slapped something together in a few minutes and it seems like he always uses the same methods

Edited for Double Post - Waj

What? I’d call jangs mocs a lot of things, ‘slapped together’ is not one of them.

7 Likes

Jangbricks mocs are pretty good. Maybe not the best, but definitly not slapped together, except for Blanco.

4 Likes

Yeah I agree

Blanco is bad on purpose though.

4 Likes