Tips To Start MOCing

Oh boy yo know it. Also makes nice shapes that you otherwise wouldnt get with just the pieces.

I also suggest using branches of plastic xmas trees. They are easy to shape due to the metal that makes the twig and its really nice for foresty sets and mocs like Umarak.

1 Like

If you’re going to build a Self M.O.C and you don’t have a fully formed idea yet, I’d suggest building a crappy version or several crappy versions, just for the purposes of developing the idea, before you try anything crazy or complicated. Personally, I made 4 complete versions of my Self M.O.C, Un’Jaguk, before he was even decent.

2 Likes

A lot of my Mocs I might just build a simple ccbs figure first just to test colors / general design and move on to the real moc after I find something I like. Just messing with ccbs parts alone I find is really good when you don’t have any solid ideas for a real moc

Same here

Those are gorgeous, I dig the upper leg design on the second MOC.

You just replied to a 5 year old post. Kahi isn’t even on the site anymore.

1 Like

Hi all, I know this thread is pretty old so I’m not sure if anyone will respond.

However, I am getting back into making MOCs in 2020 and have 2 main questions.

1: Please can you give advice on what structural pieces are most versatile? These can be technic, CCBS, or old school Bionicle system parts. I’m just wondering what is best to search for in order to use these parts multiple times for different creatures.

2: Please can you advise on how to make cool customer functions, especially using gears?

Thanks very much

*custom functions

1. it depends on what you are using the peices for. While CCBS is designed to be used on different models and still look cohesive, it’s kinda restrictive on the idea for the individual bones. The old-bionicle parts might be even harder, but the technic pin holes add a bit more versatility comparatively. The most versatile is definitely the technic/slizers/roboriders system, but it needs to be combined with the others to reach full effectiveness.

TLDR; CCBS is the most stand-alone, but all three need to be blended for maximum effect.

1. can’t help you much here, but one thing that helps me is digging through the building instructions. Particularly those for the G1 Rahi, and for technic sets, particularly the medium sized ones. From there, you can add or drop components to fit the function you need the model to have. I took half of Skull bashers function, added some of Skull Scorpio’s, and added some bits to make a fully functional tail once, as an example.
3 Likes

I’m not sure how to answer your specific questions, but I do have some general advice: if you’re just starting to get back into it, do “studies”; essentially, try replicating other already-built creations that you really like.

This could be an official Titan set that had cool functions (instructions here), or an official combi model (including the more obscure ones seen [here]. (Sets/Combiners and Alternate Models - BIONICLEsector01)). You can even try recreating cool MOCs from your favourite builders in order to learn some new techniques.

Doing this can serve as a really great starting point that will help to get you thinking about how pieces can be put together in different ways. If you’re like me, inspiration will strike and you’ll start tweaking, modifying and changing the base you started with until it’s completely your own.

2 Likes

This.

So much this.

You will go from baby builder (like me) to professional builder who knows all the cool techniques and stands with some of the best MOCists in the world (not me).
Don’t ask how I know this

3 Likes

Hey, you can only improve

1 Like

If you want to become a MOCer, I would highly recommend watching Ben Cossy’s Bionicle Inspiration Series. There is so much stuff you can learn from it!

3 Likes

Agreed, also get a parts lot off of eBay and see what you can find, heck, you might even find a old, unfinished Moc that you can either use as inspiration or finish it yourself! They’re pretty darn useful.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for all your replies! Very helpful advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could use six studs shooters as breasts for your female mocs if you dont want to use nuva shoulder peices. it would help not only in looks but also in functionlity

You do realize that post is 6 years old, right?

Guess i was to late then

1 Like

It’s cool. That happens. :+1:

The easiest part or hard part of mocking depends on the build is weapons for your moc. If by any chance you goining for range weapons that looks good and can shoot bolts or studs, both starwars blasters and the bolt lanchers are good peices for a rifle, a shotgun or even as shoulder launcher. If your making a sniper rifle without the bolt lancher that good too. If you have any 6 studded launchers laying around you can creatively use them as a barrel for a over size revolver and use some studs with tiny pinholes or portholes and use those new missile peices from the new 2020 marvel avengers sets. the new missile peices resemble bullet tips and can use them as bullets for the over sized revolver for your moc. The 6 studded lancher can also be use as face ends for gattling guns.

1 Like