Toa Keza Matoro

1. Oh, so the brake was before you built them. I see. I’m sorry.
  2. Fusion?
  3. I mean he is a brick with arms and legs and incredibly small head and hands.

The first picture you put on your post will be the one we see in the thumbnail on the main site - at the moment we’re just getting a close up of his back, which isn’t maybe the best thumbnail.

Anyways… what I’m seeing here is an incredibly busy looking MOC with a few proportion issues. I think the bulk is absolutely fine because the whole MOC is like that, it works. Makes me think of a space suit actually. But having the shoulder joints so low doesn’t work for me. It gives him this weird 3-L long mass above his shoulders which doesn’t make a lot of sense. His arms are actually too short because of that as well. And he could use larger hands and perhaps a larger mask (the Akaku Nuva might work) to match the rest of his proportions. The sheer amount of detail, colours and clashing textures makes him look pretty unappealing as well to be honest.
I’ve been there with my last big build: it’s far too easy to fall into the trap of trying to add more detail.

1 Like

@Toa_Vladin Fusion, combination, either one, as I said, it was taking all of the forms of Matoro and trying to put them into one. And I know the torso is basically a brick, trying to make a gear system around the Inika torso isn’t exactly easy, not to mention I honestly struggle with angled parts. I had to give the arms enough clearance so they didn’t smack into the ball joint of the Inika torso, that’s why he’s so bulky. Not to mention I did kind of want like a snow jacket-esk type of look for Matoro since he’s the Toa of ice. And I’ll be honest, I value stability and sturdiness over appearance, I tried to hit the best balance that I could with this project. This was also my first time doing custom limbs for something like this, I wanted to try to get better with CCBS when I found out about Bionicle G2, then it got cancelled and to be quite honest, I hate the connection points used for CCBS, the fact that the armor can go crooked and has a decent amount of motion when on a custom limb drives me insane. There’s also a secondary function, the arm that’s operated by the gear system can be locked so when swinging the arm wildly it won’t bend at the elbow and weapon storage. Sorry for the long reply.

@Jakanader The connection point of the legs honestly wouldn’t have mattered, because of the secondary connection on the back of the thighs that was added for stability. And may I ask how the execution is poor?

Remember, double posting is not allowed on the boards. Please edit your posts in the future!
~Hawkeye

The leg connection limits the range of articulation in the legs because of how you have to work around the connecting axle, not because of the instability of the connecting joint (The second connection makes up for that). And to answer your question about execution, I just don’t think it looks very good.

@Jakanader Yes, I know about the connecting axle, as I said though, another thing limiting the range of motion are the supports on the back of the legs as well. Even if I changed the way the legs attached it wouldn’t really do much besides let me splay the legs outwards in almost a splits-like position, so it doesn’t really bother me personally.

@Gringat Yeah, the thumbnail isn’t the greatest, is it? My bad. The reason it’s the normal Akaku is because it’s Matoro, not Kopaka. His arms are actually normal length and in line with the ball joints of the Inika torso and the hands reach about halfway down the thighs. I think it’s the CCBS that looks the most jarring to me, I’m not experienced with it and I don’t think I’ll be using it very much at all in future builds (then again I don’t like CCBS very much anyway). My mom’s camera kind of struggled with the pictures because of the fact that my Toa are so big, so I had originally done separate pictures of the upper and lower half of the torsos, because these were posted to my personal Social Media page which is why I said they were rushed. The close up of the upper body probably doesn’t look very good on its own to be fair

1 Like

This moc really doesn’t remind me of any version of Matoro.

@Toa_Vladin I can understand why. I will say I put more emphasis on the Matoran color scheme and the gear system on the Inika torso, they’re more Inika and Matoran based, I couldn’t really think of anything from the Mahri besides the breathing cords from the Mahri to use. I may not have explained the project very well, I kind of wanted this to be my own thing and a mixture of all forms of these specific characters. I’ll be honest, there’s still some things I’m not personally happy about with them, although I did do my best to incorporate what I could from the various forms with my own little twists. For example, I cut the Gunmetal Grey from Hewkii because I wanted him to be more vibrant in color, so I replaced it with the Dark Flesh instead. I didn’t think many people would actually read the description, so I kind of left things out and tried to strip it down to the bare minimum so I wouldn’t have to repeat myself. This is my first time really taking criticism for anything I’ve built, so I may not be handling it very well.

Dude, when I said it doesn’t remind me of any Matoro, I was refering to all of them. The only thing that might remind me of a Matoro is the mask.

@Toa_Vladin Understandable.

Dang, that’s a chunky boi

It’s an incredibly intriguing concept and project but I can certainly agree with most of the criticisms laid out here. The bulk of this moc could be considered an issue to many however I do think that could be addressed by tapering the lower section of the torso a tad (though I do realize you’d have to slightly lengthen the limbs as well).
Also using some custom built hands would be a serious boon to this moc the current hands you’re using are quite small and really breakup the visual coherence of this build
The last thing I want to bring up is my biggest issue with this moc, and that is it has an overly complex and cluttered look to it making the whole aesthetic look very busy my eyes don’t really know what to focus on.

But all critiques aside I seriously see some potential in your builds and am exited to see your next work. And remember there’s nothing wrong with a simplistic design.

@Mythguard Thank you. Personally I like the aesthetic of old Bionicle, so it being busy doesn’t really bother me. The hands are small because the arms specifically, had to be a certain weight so that way they wouldn’t just flop around everywhere with the gear system, I had to find a fine line between a custom limb and making it light enough to work with the gear system. I’ll be honest, I do struggle with shaping and was more focused on getting a general shape and making the gear system work and then smoothing things out where I could. Thank you very much, though!

1 Like