tobyMac

Continuing the discussion from AKA: Ask Kahi Anything:

If anyone likes him around here, which I’ve found at least three there are.

tobyMac was one of my favorites when I was 10, and he was really the only vocal artist I was interested in until the end of 2012. As of last Christmas I have all five of his main records. At present, given my preoccupation with instrumental content over lyrics, I lean towards the more rock/metal oriented tracks. The lack of such tracks in the most recent track has led me to longer follow him, but I still play some tracks when fiddling around on my bass guitar.

Who else here likes tobyMac, and since he’s covered a variety of genres, which type do you like the most?

5 Likes

I also liked tobyMac from a young age. Some of my favorites were Made to Love, Tonight, and Lose my Soul. Though I had never bought any of his albums, I was excited when I had the chance to see him in concert last summer.

I have to admit that I like his Electronic-centric songs the best. For the past few years, I listened to songs like Eye On It and Me Without You. After I saw him in concert, I noticed one of his albums called “Dubbed and Freq’d”. Essentially, it was remixed versions of a lot of his old songs. I’m a big remix guy, so when I listened to a preview, I knew I had to buy it. It has since become one of my favorite music CDs.

and no i didnt just spend the past 30 minutes writing this

4 Likes

Yeah. What you said (but I didn’t meet him in concert).

And don’t forget DC Talk. Where it all began. It was actually formed at Liberty University, which is the school that I am doing dual enrollment through (online, though).

2 Likes

If it means anything, I am currently listening to Ignition (Hot Wired Remix) while writing this. :smile: My dad introduced me to tobyMac’s music back in 2004 while he was my mom’s boyfriend. He copied a few discs for me and my brother, including Momentum, Re:Mix Momenum, and Welcome to Diverse City. Since then, I have met tobyMac 3 times. The latest time he wanted to trade shoes, because my fashion sense is epic but we didn’t have close enough sizes. :laughing: I may or may not have pulled a Kahi that time as well… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Man, I really like The Slam and Phenomenon, though I guess I also like Diverse City

1 Like

I like the tonight coop he did a while back with JC of skillet. its funny one of the songs he did clicked on when I saw this topic.

2 Likes

Kinda a necropost, but I’ll post here regardless.

I’ve been going through a tough time the past few days, feelin kinda depressed n’ stuff. Then I found this:

It’s a great song and several of the lines really hit me. I’ve been listening to it like 3 times a day. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was in Walmart the other day, and I saw that album sitting on the shelf. I didn’t even know it was a thing! I bought it without hesitation, and I have no regrets.

2 Likes

@Political_Slime
MY EYES!

4 Likes

Eye On It is my favorite album of his, and mainly my favorite work of his. Everything as of recently has been lmae.

1 Like

Aw yeah, fellow Liberty University student!

You know how the end of Seth Rogan/James Franco’s This Is The End, where they get to heaven and they see the reunion of the Backstreet Boys? I think that will actually be true, except it will be DC Talk.

5 Likes

Really? I thought Eye on it was his weakest album so far. There aren’t as many memorable tracks IMO. On the other hand, I find his most recent This is not a test phenomenal. There are so many good tracks on that one.

1 Like

Everything I’ve heard from This Is Not a Test isn’t up to par with what I heard on Eye On It. Eye On It was spectacular. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It just seems to me that his quality has dropped.

Per this. Except that Eye on It was already on the brink of me losing interest in it.

Hmmm, on second thought, I take that back. Looking back at the song lists for each album, Steal My Show, Forgiveness, Thankful for You and Mac Daddy were pretty great. Though the overall sound of the album doesn’t resonate with me as much as some of his others do. But still, there isn’t really any tobyMac album that doesn’t have at least a few songs I enjoy.

2 Likes

TobyMac is an amazing artist. I think my favorite album of his is Portable Sounds. I literally grew up listening to that album. All the punk/pop/rock/rap/soul in it is amazing.

1 Like

The one album I don’t have. :stuck_out_tongue: I really like so many of the songs from it though (especially Made to Love and No Ordinary Love).

2 Likes

I’ve been a fan of his since I can remember. One of my favorite albums is “Welcome to Diverse City”.

2 Likes

It’s a bit of a different sound compared to his newest stuff, but man is that album good! The only song I can’t quite get into is Atmosphere. You got a favourite track?

2 Likes

The only one I didn’t care for. Like the slam, ignition, and the atmosphere remix.

Edit: ignition was on portable sounds wasn’t it? Oops…

2 Likes