TTV Episode 208 Discussion and Explanation

Wait…so ALL LEGO Discussion will be on Brickfeed? I assumed it would only be system…

Neat regardless.

I’ll be perfectly honest, I find the switch of the podcasts a little jarring, however it is only logical. If a construction theme came along in the next year or two, that was worth reporting on, the would you put the TTV podcast back to being excluded in early access…or would you just report on said construction theme in the brick feed podcast (even though it isn’t bricks but…whatever)

Furthermore…please don’t forget your roots. Bionicle made you the channel you are now and without people wanting to watch your bionicle content…you wouldn’t be able to branch out and do brick feed…so once again, no matter what you do as a channel, don’t forget your roots

1 Like

We would definitely have a discussion about it. That being said, I don’t know if any new constraction theme would be able to capture us quite like Bionicle did. Honestly, G2 didn’t manage to capture us as well as G1 did, just because of our ages and what we were wanting to be fulfilled from it.

We’re definitely wanting to make sure we don’t completely alienate our audience going forward. A really quick way to do that is to completely abandon what got you popular in the first place, so we’re trying to be mindful of that.

That being said, we also have to be realistic. Bionicle discussion was already growing kind of scarce with G2 to begin with. Now, there’s basically not much else we will have to discuss going forward. While we definitely have a root in news, we also have the distinction of being one of the few personality-driven LEGO channels out there. And a quick look at our fan voted Top 10 TTV Moments from 2015 will show that the top moments that our fans cared about are really less about things related to LEGO or Bionicle, but instead about our personalities and funny stories that we’ve told.

So we’re trying to be really aware of that and figure out how to both not lose our roots, but also not try to squander the opportunity that we have right now.

If I could be perfectly candid and honest for a second, we’re one of the largest Bionicle-centric channels. We reached that ceiling, and it was around 30,000 subscribers. But if you look at LEGO centric channels, they’re close to a million subscribers - way more than the Bionicle ceiling was. We don’t want to lose the people that got us where we are today, but there’s no denying that if we were to just switch our focus a little wider, to general LEGO system, this channel could be way bigger than it is right now.

So that’s what we’re thinking. Again, we’re not cutting back on anything - we’ll still discuss constraction news, like we always have. We’re just changing where.

7 Likes

quick question, are you guys still going to do the book club videos of the third Bionicle chapter book, or are you guys just going to drop the third chapter book and instead move to other LEGO books given G2’s cancelation, if not drop the book club videos entirly?

1 Like

Wasn’t expecting that much of an in-depth answer so…thanks!

Just to clarify, Vezok’s Friend and Brickthing are not part of the constraction team. They work for City and Ninjago respectively. The 3 of us were just borrowed from our themes to create the Makuta model for JtO.

And thank you Eljay for the kind words!

Meh, I have basically zero interest in system, and so have never even been motivated to check out brickfeed.
I can’t really fault you, as there’s not really anything Bionicle related to talk about, but this is about the end of my interest. (unless of course there ends up being a new non licensed contraction theme next year or 2018).

1 Like

Valid question. Book Club is a massive time investment editing-wise, and we’ve had a lot of things on our plate as of late, but we did record all five episodes already so it’d be a shame to not release them. I’d say they’ll be released.

-Mesonak

4 Likes

still, will you guys keep the book club idea around after those episodes, because there are still many LEGO books that could be used, heck Ninjago and Chima have many books that could be used, and there are the old Bionicle G1 books (although its understandable if they most likely would not be used).