TTV Will No Longer Report on Lego Leaks

Whoa whoa whoa. I said I think we might be able to point people to sites. Like saying “The leaks are on 4chan” or “They’re on (insert obscure shop site here)” rather than linking the page.

1 Like

We kind of address this on our TTV Talks episode, which will be on YouTube Friday. I’d definitely recommend checking that out as it will probably clear up a lot of our thought process behind this decision.

But in regards to your query, as far as we’re concerned, as long as you aren’t deeplinking or embedding images on our boards, discussion is completely allowed.

If Person B desperately wants to find these images, I have full faith he’ll find a way to get them. Keep in mind that there are plenty of other outlets for you to share information that we have no control over, such as Skype, Hangouts, or even aspects of the TTVMB :wink:

Just keep in mind, if something is flagged, we’ll see it. That’s the risk you’ll be taking.

Does that make sense?

You are not allowed to link images, galleries, or anything with confidential markings on the public MB, including the site that contains these images.

2 Likes

Quick question: can we say the name of the site but not link it?

1 Like

Good question, I’ll get back to you on that one.

1 Like

Does this include in PMs, or just on any public topic?

2 Likes

Most important point is:

However,

If we catch you linking to leaks, you’ll be in trouble. I’ll leave it at that.

5 Likes

Meh, I came here because of the return of Bionicle after watching TTV podcast 117 or some episode near then. (I don’t remember which episode was technically the first one I saw) I came here for community, not necessarily leaks. And while I did enjoy the leaks, the sensation of knowing what will happen before the general public does, they’re ultimately not what the Podcast or the Boards are for. Heck, when I heard that TTV had “bad news” I guessed I would either be this, or something worse. I’m altogether ambivalent about the change. Now let me take you all back to our childhood, and Bionicle G1:

I want everyone who reads this to think back to some time during Bionicle G1’s prime, back when you were younger and answer these questions, either to yourself, or here on the boards. When you were younger, how much did you partake in Leak Season? How savvy were you in finding leaks online? I know for me, I didn’t know bzpower existed until 2008, and I never made an account. The first leaks I saw were the Glatorian, everything else I saw for the first time either on store shelves or in the Lego Magazine. Now think about the Leak mentality, how did you feel if you had a situation similar to mine? On one hand, you wait for what seems like AGES to finally see the sets, but when you do finally see them you can purchase them almost immediately. On the other, (what I felt after the leak of the Skull Villains and this year’s sets) you know what the sets will look like, but you still have to wait for what seems like ages before you can get your hands on them. Which makes you happier? I’m still unsure as to what I’d prefer.

Now, I must take some time to play Devil’s Advocate.

As I take it, once 2016 comes to a close and leaks for the 2017 sets start creeping up, there will definitely be some board members starting PM’s that include links to leaks. Links that, unless flagged by someone already admitted into the PM, will go unnoticed. Really the “best” way for a board member to link to or see leaks would be “Hey, I’ll PM you my email/skype/whatever and then you send me the links or images.”

TL;DR I agree with the staff and admins, the boards and podcast are not for leaking, we may all be happier as a result, but people will find a way around this.

1 Like

So to be clear, here are the basic outlines the way I see it

Why

• Fear of being in legal trouble with Lego and/or simply do not want to have a fractured relationship with them and hurt their products
  • Brings out the negative side of the community of sharing fake leaks, spam, etc
  • Hurts the channel’s video revenue and holds their other content back
  • Belief that people are better off not knowing what the sets look like before release as it potentially limits hype, purchase, and discussion towards new sets

Enforcement

• No longer making videos reporting on confidential images/info
  • Tighter leak policies, banning direct linkage/embed of leaks
  • Is an admin-based decision that the community has no choice but to abide to no matter the backlash

Impact

• Lose subscribers who are only there for the leaks (TTV doesn’t value them anyway; only value viewers who are truly loyal to other content)
  • Makes it more difficult and confusing for people to find leaks
  • Less spreading of leaks on the boards (possibly slightly minimizing leak spread as a whole)

Things unaffected

• Promotional/unmarked finalized images
  • Leak discussion
  • Directing people to leaks
  • PM leaks (if TTV can’t find them, than Lego can’t either)

If there is anything incorrect or something I missed, please inform me

6 Likes

While I was initially upset by this news, I’ve come to realize its for the best. I started watching ttv back in 2013, well before Bionicle was leaked. While the Lego news/discussion was always interesting, it was always the interactions between the cast members that drew me in. I think the fan base has seen a departure from that.

Here’s to a leakless ttv, and to a fresh new year!

8 Likes

Interesting. Since you’re not going to be reporting on them, maybe now is a good time to do what Meso suggested in one Podcast episode and go a leak season without looking at anything, and then be surprised by what is officially revealed. Just seems like an interesting opportunity. It was an odd thing to see uploaded to the YouTube channel, but I’m honestly not phased by it as long as you guys continue to produce interesting content as you always do!

So here’s some questions, not sure if they have already been answered because I didn’t really read all the posts, but I watched the video:

• Will any TTV members still actively look for leaks, but then just not report on them?
  • Would you still inform that there are leaks out there and just not show or distribute them?
  • What will the effects on the Podcast be, considering many of the more exciting and eventful episodes are leak discussions?
  • Does discussing leaks and giving thoughts on them without showing images or providing links constitute being a leak distributor? If not, would you still do it on the Podcast?

Good luck, you guys!

4 Likes

Yep. Horray! I get to do something else besides dealing with Double Posts!

10 Likes

Ok, shall do.

Good to hear :slight_smile:

Ah ok, thanks for the alternatives - should help stave off some of the worries that users including myself were having. Given this reminder and explanation i think the lack of posting images and stuff on the boards could turn out fairly well. Though i will miss hearing all of TTV’s videos on leaks.

Yeah, thanks for clearing things up :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to us all :3

3 Likes

While I will miss the reports on leaks, it won’t affect my viewership of TTV. I dig pretty much all of the content and try to watch everything I can. Hopefully people can be mature enough to handle this the right way, but we will all see.

If you guys don’t discuss leaks, then fine. But the community should at least be able to post/link them on the boards. It will avoid confusion during discussion in leak topics. You guys should be able to discuss what you want, but we should also be allowed to link these things so people can join the discussion without having to scavenge the internet.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Things You Dislike About the Channel

Oh, boy.

It seems like TTV has officially stopped leak news and preliminary picture discussion.

This may be either a “saving grace”, or the possibility of a declining future of subscribers. In ye olde days of TTV, everyone’s favorite Bionicle podcasters would gather 'round, and listen (or watch) a podcast and leak coverage of the latest Hero Factory wave, or a report on the newly-leaked System themes. As a great source of subscription, bypassing users would usually subscribe to the great TTV, producer of leaks.

Honestly, this move is, personally, a great “survival tactic”. By avoiding leaks, TTV has saved themselves from LEGO’s wrath, and similarly… done something else.

By all means, it’s possible TTV could use a “comedy series” of sorts, possibly also a “Drawing with Prpl” or “MOCing w/ Ven” series; something generally useful. Considering the group has now become part of LEGO’s “friend list” (IDK, just ASSUMING), more interviews could take place with folk like Ryder Windham.

On the other hand, this decision seems like the best. This is to a new year, and anothergreat year for TTV!

(Oh, and shouldn’t this be pinned globally, in ‘site’ or ‘community’?)

2 Likes

This is a very honorable thing TTV is doing. To take the potential hit that this could inflict on your channel all for the greater good of LEGO and the community as a whole is amazing. I support your decision all the way. Ad victoriam, brother.

5 Likes

This is fine with me. Besides the usual “it’s their channel, they can do whatever they want with it”, the recent Bionicle Autopsy has me against leaks now.

And honestly: if people unsubscribe because they were here solely for leaks, that’s their loss, not TTV’s.

What if animations get leaked, like what happened this year with the 2015 animations?

~W12~

Are we still allowed to post leaks on the boards?