Unofficial Fallout Topic

Has flashbacks of the metro lines

1 Like

What do you kinda people think about a New Vegas like game sometime in the future?

(By this I mean a non-numbered game, possibly created by someone outside of Bethesda)

1 Like

I’d be open to it, as long as there aren’t weird invisible walls blocking you off from quarries and dangerous areas like in NV.

1 Like

Oh man console mods are out now i can finally have the wide selection of beards ive allways wanted

I get annoyed by FNV doing it but FO3 did it much more.

Every single time I try to climb a pile of junk there is a stinking wall.

2 Likes

Bethesda needs to let obsidian make a new fallout.

2 Likes

As much as i have enjoyed Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

Bethesda needs to hand over Fallout to Obsidian.

######Or, do a better job at doing Fallout games.

3 Likes

So like, after playing Fallout 4 to its fullest, going back to play New Vegas (modded to look nice while still retaining the artistic atmosphere, of course), and then going back to Fallout 4 this month, I think I’ve developed a full opinion on the game itself.

Fallout 4 is a good game. It’s also a good Fallout game. It’s not a good main series Fallout game.

The way I see it, Fallout 4 should be considered a spin-off title, because it follows the general formula a spin-off follows in the gaming industry: carries over similar concepts, but focuses on the story of a specific character. That’s exactly what it does, too. It keeps gameplay and lore constants from the 3D Fallout entries, but puts you in the shoes of a standalone character. You help him/her choose their decisions, you craft their character development in result of these choices, but ultimately it’s their story and that’s okay. I think it’s also still worth playing even after all this time has passed, and that mods have made it a lot better than it was already.

That said, I really hope Obsidian makes a new Fallout game in this engine.

2 Likes

You know, I know there’s a lot of crazy and out there stuff in the fallout series. Deadly murder lizards, tin cans in the ground designed with an unimaginable number of cruel and strange experiments, a hyper patriotic iron giant…

But never in my life would I have ever expected a rocket powered pirate ship run by a merry gang of robots.

Confound the dreaded Weather Be Savings and Loan!

2 Likes

Dude, that’s one of the lesser weirdnesses.

try aliens, psionics, and talking deathclaws on for size.

Not to mention radiation has been shown in certain instances to have an averse effect on the laws of physics themselves in this universe.

Basically, if a 1950s B-movie did it you can expect fallout to have it somewhere.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for giant monsters invulnerable to every single weapon imaginable that trample all over the ruins of the old world cities fighting each other.

Could you imagine a Fallout game where the “weather” system you have to fear and stay out of the way of is an invincible giant kaiju with a vendetta against humans after having its brain enhanced by FEV and body mutated by radiation? Like, whenever this thing walks out of the ocean every place in the game is dosed with deadly amounts of radiation, not to mention laser blasts at anything moving that catches its eye. Who needs radiation storms? Heck, lets take the B-movie popculture reference even further and give it an actual specific theme each time it comes.

2 Likes

Aren’t deathclaws enough! Besides, we already have giant monsters. Like the mirelurk queens, or those hermit crabs that live in buses.

Though all that does sound really cool…

1 Like

They die tho (and easily, with traditional weapons at that). The whole point of a B-movie kaiju is that they tend to be forces of nature incarnate. Fighting a kaiju is like fighting a hurricane with guns, tanks, and nukes.

2 Likes

The more I think about it, the better this idea sounds. Like, you’re just walking through the wastes right? Minding your own business. Then suddenly, the sky grows dark with thick and heavy rain clouds. Dramatic music begins to play, and thunderous footsteps can be heard in the distance Even the mighty deathclaws seem to run and hide… You have two options. You can run, flea, and seek shelter. Hide, and wait out the living storm as it walks past, and pray that it doesn’t notice you. Or, you can stand your ground, and do battle. You can fight the beast. It won’t be easy. A long and grueling fight. But if you take the risk, and fell the mighty beast, you’ll be rewarded with the best bounty you could ever think to loot off of a living creature.

These mighty beast would be huge. The young of them larger than a deathclaw. And once they’re fuly grown, they stand as tall as liberty prime himself.

2 Likes

Actually, since you said it’d be as large as Liberty Prime, perhaps that’s a better answer to defeating it. Your attacks do nothing, but if you’re in good favor with the BoS, you gain access to Liberty Prime, which you can lead against the storm Kaiju.

Perhaps there could be various kaiju, all with their own dramatic weather effects, and each faction has something that exploits the weakness of one of them. This would make choosing factions have an ulterior motive and reward. Imagine towns with characters you grow to cherish asking you to pick a side, if only to get rid of the kaiju terrorizing them. At the end of the game, the kaiju you weren’t able to take out end up annihilating their respective locations and the people in them.

See, the problem with you felling the kaiju yourself is that its very anti-climatic. Getting rid of one needs to be as grandiose and memorable as seeing one show up in the first place.

1 Like

How about this. The beasts that you fight, and the ones you kill, are only lesser beasts. Still massive and towering, though only a few heads taller than a super mutant behemoth, or a mirelurk queen. (Whichever one is bigger). Over time, you grow comfortable in fighting these giants. Ten or so shots from your trusty fat man and down they go.

But in the late game, when you’re deep rooted in your chosen faction, something wakes up. A titanic beast, larger than Liberty Prime, by at least a head. The creature reeks havoc upon the wastelands. It is up to you, and whatever faction you have chosen, to throw everything you have at it. Lets use the BoS for an example.

As soon as the monster shows itself, Liberty Prime is sent out to fight the monster, but is ultimately defeated. It is clear to the brotherhood that if this creature is to be killed, Liberty Prime requires a number of upgrades before he can even dream of fighting this creature again.

So you’re sent on an advanced fetch quest to gather the needed parts and components. You notice that attacks from the lesser beast become far more frequent than before. Entire settlements and villages have been leveled by the increased kaiju population, and the great beast itself. Whenever the supreme monster decides to show itself in your general location, you have no other option but to duck your head and hide, and wait for it to leave.

After getting everything you need, Liberty Prime is upgraded to the max, with enhanced fighting skills, a more advanced a.i and processor, stronger motors and hydraulic. Even getting a considerable size boost. The robot and the monster do battle, and Liberty Prime emerges victorious. The entire wasteland is left in nearly total ruin. Nearly as bad as right after the great war. From coast to coast, the creature had devastated all.

So, at the end game, the faction you’ve chosen, takes advantage of the wasteland’s weakened state, and seizes control. They quickly destroy the other factions and rebuild the wastelands.

1 Like

To further this, the chaotic evil ending for this game could be the player going on a quest to increase FEV exposure and Radiation exposure for these beasts, making them absolutely unstoppable. In the end all of the remnants of mankind in this game pay for the mistakes of the old world. Your character just sits back and watches the spectacle, before falling off of a crumbling building into the water. Post game would be nothing besides ruins, but that’s fine because the goal of a pure evil ending is destruction anyway. If each ending has different outcomes and points of no return, that makes the replayability value infinitely better. Besides, every other ending wouldn’t have the type of post game this one would have. It would be exclusive to this one, for obvious reasons.

The chaotic good ending could involve you creating a “Godzilla” of sorts, specifically to destroy the other monsters, and to destroy the major bases of each faction. After this the monster heads into the ocean to rest, ending the homage. The wasteland is now subject to your rule, and every town submits to the guy who somehow used a giant monster to destroy his enemies (bringing some Mad Max tribal superstition for the villagers and towns people back into the series for once). This would essentially be your Yes Man type of ending.

1 Like

Option one: Some people just want to watch the world burn.
Option two: “I’m sorry. Are you the one with the giant monster? No. So you have to do what I say.”

I think these options work well for playthroughs where you don’t choose a faction/side with the lesser factions, like the railroad or the minute men.

If you’ve played New Vegas, you can get vastly different endings like these. The endings in Fo4 are bad examples, since their outcomes and events are te same with different flavor text. The only real difference being the Institute ending.

Far Harbor is a better example of the type of endings we’d want from a Fallout game. You can outright murder everyone just for giggles.

1 Like