Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Well, I wasn’t really talking about the set, I meant the personality, especially Kiina’s portrayal in B:TLR. Granted, I like the jaded tomboy Kiina from the storyline better than the ADD-ridden Kiina from the film, but I don’t find the latter that grating or at least not as much as some people do.
And well, I like Matau as a Toa because the set has the most well-thought alternate use for his weapons out of all six Toa Metru. He also gives off certain Rocketeer vibes, which might’ve even been intentional. I liked him personality-wise as well but I’ll elaborate on that later, OK? This post is already enough of a wall of text. xD

In fact, Kiina’s name is a nod to Greg’s ex-wife, Jackina.

The fact that I like that feature of this mask might be even more unpopular than the fact I like it at all…

I agree to an extent. I still like the set because of nostalgia but there’s no getting around the fact it kinda pales in comparison to the titans of the later years of Bionicle.

Huh? I fail to see how that’s an unpopular opinion. The Agori and the Av-Matoran are universally criticized in the community, so don’t worry you don’t like them, almost everyone in the fandom does.

Well, there is another set of my unpopular opinions:

• I liked the movie Sidorak. He worked quite well within the narrative and I feel that most people who complain about him would just want him to be a hypercompetent evil mastermind.
  • Noble Miru, Akaku and Kakama not resembling their Great counterparts never really bothered me. They’re all solid designs (Tanma’s Kanohi might be one of my favorite post-2004 masks design-wise) and the Toa Metru Kanohi didn’t look like their 2001 versions either, so what’s the problem?
  • As much as I tried, I couldn’t get invested in G2. I know some people enjoyed the 2015 online cartoons ironically but I’d have preferred the main story medium of that year not to be a hammy meme-fest… Or at least have something else to it (it’s not like slapstick humor and silly in-jokes stopped MNOG from being compelling).
  • As far as G2 is concerned, I accept Pohatu’s brown-and-lime color scheme. Sure, that’s not a color scheme I would choose for him but I think it’s fine that Lego tried to experiment with the color schemes a bit. With that said, I believe the addition of dark tan in his 2016 form made him look slightly washed out, especially with his golden mask on.
  • The destruction of the Mata Nui Island makes me as salty as the ocean that used to surround it. I know it was planned from the beginning and it was necessary for the plot to advance… And, as a matter of fact, the Mata Nui Rising video is an absolutely glorious piece of animation… But it just annoys on an emotional, perhaps a bit childish and superficial level… Let’s move on…
  • Does an inclination towards writing walls of text on a message boards about toys count as an unpopular opinion?

And there’s a bonus one:

• The TTV website works really slowly for me for whatever reason. It applies to both the site and the message boards, although less so to the latter.
4 Likes

I agree! Our beautiful paradise land was destroyed. It would have been much better, if when Mata Nui wakes up, the whole island would stay at his robot face then he would simply take it off, like a Mask and place it back on the ocean. Now I know it’s a crazy Idea but imo it could have work. I also hated how Mata Nui island needed to be destoyed by the Bohrok to wake up the great spirit. Like what was the point for that? At least in TLR it still loked like a tropical island.

3 Likes

To be perfectly honest, it’d look pretty silly (but it’s not like Bionicle hasn’t done any silly things and expected us to take them seriously… :stuck_out_tongue:) but, on the other hand, it’d also help reinforce the idea of the Island of Mata Nui being the Great Spirit’s mask, adhering to one of the series’ main themes - the masks, that is.

I never really understood the point of that… I’d wager a 40 000 000 feet tall iron giant shouldn’t have any problem breaking through a couple of trees and mountains…

3 Likes

I can’t unsee this. Well, there goes me liking the mask. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I like the Bohrok Kal. Sure they are basically clones of the Bohrok but they’re cool story wise.

3 Likes

I feel like they were just a little too OP, which made them a bit ridiculous.

1 Like

What I hated back as a kid, and still hate today:

-Bionicle Star should have been way different as an ending for Bionicle. But since they didn’t bother making real cool sets, I’ll just accept what LEGO did.

-Some Inika masks were horrible in design. Hahli looks simply like a man, Nupar’s awkward spikes, and Hewkii looks like this guy in brown/yellow:

-The desert planet Bara Magna itself. I would have preferred an Earth like planet. But the story wanted it otherwise.

-LOVE IS NON-CANON, except for Glatorian and Agori :gregf:

-No movie for 2006, 2007 and 2008

-The Kanohi masks of 2001-2003 have never been re-used in 2005+ sets.

I ran out of ideas…

1 Like

The reason the Stars were what they were is because LEGO was just going to end the line after 2009 with no ending or anything. The BIONICLE Team had to plea with LEGO to get that last year, and the Stars were all they could get story-wise.

2 Likes

Sad, isn’t it.

I mean, LEGO is a company, and if something isn’t making their money back you cut it off. BIONICLE was one of those somethings at the end, so LEGO cut it off.

2 Likes

I knew about that. Business 101.
But LEGO should know how hard it is for a child to lose it’s favorite childhood series, even for a toy company.

But what is done, is done, even for the second time.
If there is a third time, I won’t expect much until they really care about Bionicle. Until then, I’ll stick with Overwatch…:disappointed:

1 Like

-It was the point for them to look “horribly” different from the previous Toa. They were energy “Creatures” I love their rubber-like masks and their weapons are simply amazing! Hahli is fine I like the shape of her eyes. Jaller’s Mask is looking really cool. And Nuparu is a neat hard rock, punk dude! Hewkii looked like a cat. :laughing: The masks gave them soo much of a new look and design. Although I hate Kongu’s Mask and I find Matoro’s boring. I still consider them as my second favorite Toa team after the Mata.

-I liked Bara Magna, not only because the fact that as we later discovered, there is what everything has started but also It reminded me a little of the island of Mata Nui, mostly Po-koro and made me feel nostalgic about it. There always something interesting in a wasteland for me, that you can never know what you will find on it. And yet, Mata Nui has found his Destiny on it. It could be also the reason that I really like the 2009 sets and then the environment has really grown on me. I liked it.

2 Likes

I actually loved Kongu Inika’s mask, it is easily in my top five masks of all time.

I don’t know if it’s a consensus among members here, but I find Roodaka and Brutaka having the most solid build and thus they are the greatest titan sets ever in Bionicle!

1 Like

I don’t mind that Tahu 2016 doesn’t have a lot of red on him. It make him feel more elemental to me.

2 Likes

Slizers

• Spark is really boring. He’s one of the last two Slizers I need to complete my collection (The other being Granite) and he’s heartbreakingly difficult to find… But also heartbreakingly lame at the same time.

Bionicle

• Bionicle sets felt really cheap from late 2007 onwards due to their constant recycling of old parts, as opposed to creating and using new parts. 2006 and early 2007 were kinda similar in that regard but they brought some unique ideas to the table that I can excuse.

• The Kanohi Nuva are hideous. The consistency of the plastic is much too thick, and the edges much too bevelled. They look like they’re made of goo.

• The Rahaga and '05 titans were fantastic, but the Visorak and Hordika weren’t very good at all.

Hero Factory

• Evo > Nex

• IFB was the best year of HF, very closely followed by Breakout.

• Voltix has a really wonderful design. He looks like he’s wearing the upper half of a purple armour suit over his red and gunmetal body.

8 Likes

The Rahaga weren’t realy special, but boy, was I happy to get 1 Toa Norik and 2! Toa Iruini. [quote=“Ekimu, post:208, topic:23000, full:true”]
I don’t know if it’s a consensus among members here, but I find Roodaka and Brutaka having the most solid build and thus they are the greatest titan sets ever in Bionicle!
[/quote]

True. I was impressed after getting them. And they weren’t expensive at all. Imagine the price of a set like these in 2016…

2 Likes

I can agree which is funny, because the titan sets had a really minimal amount of new pieces but they had a great amount of recolors. It clearly shows, a set doesn’t Need to have that much of new pieces as long as it is well constructed and possibly has some neat recolored pieces. The hordika and Visorak got most of the new pieces, still they aren’t that good imo.

I rather don’t discuss hf here.

Nex > Evo

2 Likes

I agree - I quite like Bara Magna, it’s pretty nostalgic for me for similar reasons. It brought back many elements I’ve been missing in the later years of Bionicle - the tribal theme, the clean, light blue sky and sandstone structures in the promotional pictures, as well as varied, elemental landscapes in the boxarts instead of some abstract patterns, white backgrounds, sickly green, stinky swamps, grey caves or chain fences (!?).

1 Like

I like Bionicle’s basic story, but I never got into the serials and don’t think I want to as I arrived kind of late on and was kind of young and there was way too much to read to get the full story

1 Like