Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

I think I know who you are refering to…:wink:

Do you want specific people?

i think we can tell

coughcoughCupOfFailcoughcough

4 Likes

What? I thought the community was divided on what to think of the beasts - leaning more towards the negative side.

I personally like the beasts for their unique ideas and character design that still kept with the Bionicle’s aesthetic as a whole.
They definitely did not look like a rehash of IfB or HF at all, like so many people like to yak on about.

if you say anything bad about my boi QB I’ll fight ya

3 Likes

I used to think that the beasts were terrible and criticised them frequently and every time I would criticise them people would jump out of their shoes to defend them, so…definitely not a divided opinion. I did get quite a few likes on one post, but that still received criticism and was most likely an isolated incident, the overwhelming majority of the community likes the beasts, thus making my opinion unpopular. I don’t think the Beasts are that bad anymore, just underwhelming and mediocre. But I still think they are overrated.

I found Quake Beast incredibly underwhelming in person because aside from his crystal smashing arm, he felt extremely bland, scrawny in some areas, and boring to me in my opinion

1 Like

The Beasts don’t resemble the HF Beasts really at all except for the chest printing. Sure, the Beasts may not be the greatest sets in the world, but they are definitely not the worst. Sure they do look a little unfinished, but let’s be honest, a lot of HF sets were the same way.

And with the functions, Storm Beast’s is the most unique. Have you ever seen a function like that on a set before?

3 Likes

When the hell did I say that the Beasts were rip offs of the Invasion From Below beasts?! You just misinterpreted my post because I proposed a hypothetical scenario If the Beasts were hf sets and was not comparing them with the IFB Beasts at all.

And Storm Beasts function while admittedly creative in many ways, despite it’s unique mechanics, basically does the exact same thing a gearbox does but a little different. I’m sorry but in my opinion, that just doesn’t seem too creative too me. Read the title of the topic please.

Oh, I apologize. I’m sorry.

1 Like

newsflash, two people, including yourself, have taken the time, thought, and effort, however little, to defend the Beasts as sets. In light of this, it seems like the prevailing opinion of the Beasts for the most part remains consistent and the overwhelming majority of people in the community like them. I’m pretty sure based on this along with other things my opinion is unpopular and the community is not “leaning towards the negative side.”

I don’t know where you’re getting this from. I’ve seen, like, 75% negativity.

i mean, opinions can be wrong sometimes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It doesn’t take that much “time and effort” to make a few posts on a message board explaining why you like the design of something.

1 Like

I was about to pick up Lava Beast but… Meh, I rather pick up a Gen 1 set. Before you’re gonna call me a Gen 2 hater, I only want a set that worths 15$

We seem to have seen two very different sides of the community then, because I argued constantly with many different people who defended the Beasts.

in some circumstances that is true, like when misinformed opinions contradict facts, but when it regards whether or not you like the appearance of a Lego set opinions like this will and should always be subjective. So let’s agree to disagree and end this arguement

1 Like

That wasn’t what i was talking about. You said it was your opinion that the beasts were overrated, which just isn’t true… at all. It’s like saying that “in my opinion, [insert popular thing here] is just really underrated, ya know?”.

the terms “overrated” and “underrated” are most often used to describe how much you like something relative to how much others enjoy something. As such, they relate to your own personal taste and thoughts, making them subjective. There is no way to make things like this objective or any concrete way to measure or quantify how much a single person likes something.

I suppose that was a bad example. Oh well.

1 Like

Not sure if I posted this yet, buuuut:

I don’t like functions. Outside of vehicle sets, I’d much rather the sets didn’t have them. I just prefer having a poseable, aesthetically pleasing figure.

3 Likes

There’s another one: I feel that Matoro’s character arc in the Ignition saga was a big stretch and character derailment. During the Mata Nui saga (not the podcast, I’m talking about 2001-2003) he was the right hand of Nuju, a Kolhii player, a Matoran who loved exploring the mountain drifts just for fun and overall nice, likeable guy in a village inhabited mostly by brooding jerks. The Ignition saga, though, turned him into a clichéd anti-hero plagued by self-doubt… But the problem was that his self-loathing was completely unwarranted (if wandering alone in the mountains doesn’t prepare you for the role of a Toa, I don’t know what does - being a champion of soccer-hockey, like Hewkii, apparently does…) and didn’t make sense for his character. It should be noted that I’m not talking about his sacrifice but I also feel it would’ve been a lot stronger without the ‘I’m not worthy of being a Toa :’(’ shtick.

5 Likes

The way I see it is that even for a champion of Matoran, becoming a Toa is a huge leap.

2 Likes

Matoro’s self-pity came directly from his feeling of inadequacy caused by being ‘just a translator’… But I just don’t buy it! As I said before, the guy wasn’t ‘just a translator’, he had many additional talents which could’ve proved useful during his quest as a Toa. What’s more, I just simply fail to see why being a translator and an important aide of his village’s elder is somehow worse than being what’s basically a Matoran equivalent of a hockey star. If anything, that kind of character arc would be more appropriate for Hahli (and it’s not because she’s a woman, inb4 anyone accuses me of being sexist), as she was always the one struggling with the confidence issues.
To be frank, it almost feels as if the story team took one of Matoro’s traits - the mere fact that his main occupation wasn’t a physical or a military one - and exaggerated it to the point of turning him into Toa Vakama (a character I also dislike but not as much as I used to) all over again, except for a more tragic fate.
However, I don’t particularly dislike the idea of Matoro dying - I find it interesting that both of his Mask Powers tie thematically to his eventual fate; death - but I hate the fact that the story makes his sacrifice seem like a result of his self-pity. Perhaps I’m reading too deeply into it or I’m just a cynical adult who’s too old for Bionicle but I’d lie if I said I didn’t get the same weird impression of unfortunate implications when I was a young teenager back in 2007.
And while we’re at it, Matoro wasn’t the only Inika who seemed OOC - there was also Kongu… Back in 2001-2002, he was a serious military leader, much like Jaller, but in 2006, he was turned into an archetypical Le-Toa goofball… And needless to say, I hated that. How much more interesting it would be if the Toa Inika contrasted the Toa Mata and the Toa Metru, instead of filling virtually the same roles and archetypes?
Oh, and no, ‘Toa Lewa taught me not to be so uptight’ isn’t a sufficient explanation for such a complete personality change, it’s a hand wave at best.

5 Likes

I get where you are coming from, and I see your point, however I disagree.

Matoro’s self-pity made a lot of sense, he just left his home, went through Karzahnii, and has now become a Toa. All while the Toa Nuva AND Mata Nui were dying. They are facing a threat that bested the Nuva, the most powerful of all Toa…and he talked and took hikes.

The rest of the Inika had skill-sets that would considered useful, Jaller was the captain of the guard and led many an attack on the Rahi, Kongu commanded the Gukko force, which played a large role in the fight against the Rahi as well, Nuparu was a engineer, who designed the machines that fought off the Bohrok. Hewkii was a sports champion, proving his strength and cunning. Hahli was ALSO a Kohlii champion, and depending on just how canon MNOG 2 is…she also did whatever she did in there.

Matoro though, he only translated for Nuju, which is a big task, but pretty useless to someone who has to be a warrior. His other accomplishments only add to his depressed state. The Kohli, which he lost. the hiking, which is nothing special, he wandered in the snow, big whoop. He once guarded Kopaka’s Nuva symbol…and was beaten after being made too heavy to move.

Matoro likely always had a lingering sense of depression or loneliness, which was only made worse when he was forced to become a Toa, then was haunted by the Ignika, and later forced to die for the fate of the universe.

Now as for Kongu, as poorly as it was explained, worked well. considering him and Jaller were just a bit too similar as characters. (With both being seasoned military leaders and all) And one can assume that Kongu is somewhat like this when he is not being super stern and stressed out. His character in 06 was likely because of who he was with, his friends.

Anyway, just my two cents.

6 Likes