Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

I like to beast for one simple reason, I like to pose my figures in the best way possible. So I can like them because they don’t look gappy or incomplete on my shelf.

Fair enough, I’m always happy when someone is able to handle negativity in a mature way. :wink:

Good point. However, the Piraka defeating the Toa Nuva always struck me as a particularly awkward way to raise the stakes and show how powerful they are…

But the previous years made it perfectly clear that being a Toa isn’t just about being the strongest warrior. The Toa Metru team was assembled out of a teacher, an archivist, a mask maker, a carver and a scholar, and yet, Nokama didn’t mope around about how her job as a teacher didn’t prepare her for a role of a Toa nor did she complain that her Mask of Translation is pretty useless in battle - heck, even Matau, the guy who saw being a Toa in the most superficial way possible, was impressed by Nokama’s Great Rau’s power and aknowledged it usefulness. Well, Vakama was the one to have the self-confidence issues, but as much as I dislike his angst in LoMN, a part of me appreciates it as a way to tell a message that was new and important to Bionicle at that point (the only Toa we had seen before 2004 were the Toa Mata/Nuva, who, despite having their innate character flaws, were treated as rather powerful and semi-mythical). Matoro’s story arc struck me as a repeat of that… With unfortunate implications as an added bonus. :stuck_out_tongue:

To be perfectly honest, I don’t remember that, but if the being in question was a Bohrok Kal, it would be pretty childish and irrational of Matoro to blame himself over being beaten by something he simply couldn’t have defeated. Again, reminds me of Vakama claiming ‘I should’ve done something’ after Lhikan was taken by the Dark Hunter… Yeah, I never really liked that particular trope.

Again, a good point. However, I can’t help feeling that Matoro’s sacrifice, combined with his characterization up to that point, instead of refuting the notion that he was useless, confirms it instead, by proving him right that he was useful only as a vessel for Ignika.

I’m sure there’s a way to make them distinct enough from each other and even though they migth’ve turned out a bit similar, I’d still take it over having another archetypical funny Toa of Air.

It’s worth noting that Jaller defeated a Bohrok-Kal. He jumped onto one of them, I believe it was Pahrak-Kal, ripped open its faceplate, and tore out its Krana.

2 Likes

At this point we will have to agree to disagree. However I do have a weird thing to point out…what if Matoro never DID come to grips with being a Toa, Jaller tells him that he is great and all, that’s fine…but what if he died in his depressed state?

(Bonkle G1 was dark mayn)

So Matoro basically got his death wish granted. Cute. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Matoro very much back in 2001-3 for the reasons I stated a couple of posts ago (he was likeable and somewhat admirable in a non-forced, sincere way) in this thread but I feel that 2006-7 completely mishandled his character. It kinda reminds me of another character (from a different series) I used to like that got turned into the mopey emo type because of the fandom’s perception of him (I wonder if anyone can guess who I’m talking about).

Shadow?

Nope, but ironically, the character in question has relatively similar hairstyle (despite being a man and not a weird anime hedgehog).

My unpopular opinion:

-Inika and Mahri was to me the pinnacle of what Bionicle had to offer to me. The rest was icing to the cake.

• I thought all Bionicle beings were able to conceive their next generations with their female counterpart. (HewkiixMako, Jaller x Hahli)
  • Routuga spinners were the best projectile of them all. (1. they fly so far away. 2. They don’t hurt as much when you shoot at other people.)
    -Glatorians were meh to me.
    -I do like that they rerelease Takanuva with the STAR line even though I didn’t get them.
    -Hero Factory was alright but the story and the way it was presented to me never wowed me. I would have love to see them try more outlandish things. (Wave 1 and breakout was the weakest for me. All the others were nice! :D)
    -Matoro, to me, was the leader of the Inika.

Who’s Mako?

[quote=“YK97, post:284, topic:23000, full:true”]- Routuga spinners were the best projectile of them all. (1. they fly so far away. 2. They don’t hurt as much when you shoot at other people.)
[/quote]
And you could lose them very easily.

Even if not the leader, he was definitely over advertised everywhere. He was also the first Inika to be reviewed everywhere and thus, perhaps the most popular of the Inika.

1 Like

Some people would consider it a con. xD

5 Likes

Here’s one: The Bionicle movies suck and Journey to One was meh.

Actually, now that I think about it, The Lego Movie might be the only anything non-toy Lego made that I actually liked.

2 Likes

That’s unpopular?

Including the video games?
Come on, all kids liked those…

1 Like

Bionicle books, comics and graphic novels are pretty awesome (at least the ones I read up until now), don’t you think?

2 Likes

I don’t like them, I played a few when I was younger, but after a while they just got boring.

2 Likes

I hate the fact that Maxilos is nothing but an empty robot. With such amazing and complex build he should be more. I also don’t get it how he is a simple “robot” when everyone else are also robots just with biological parts. So why is a thing as “simple robot” is even exist there? Sounds a little primitive compared to anything else.

Sorry mate. It’s Macku. (Anime messing with my Bionicle… Gosh…)

As for losing them, you could say the same about the balls.

For me, Maxilos was a bros to Hydrason. I felt sad when I learned he was only a simple robot. I mean come on…

Do not double post. - Eljay

2 Likes

They should’ve just made him a straight-up Teridax set IMO.

1 Like

Well…he WAS the vessel for Makuta…so I guess that counts.

Hewkii is the best of the Toa Mahri. His badassery is not to be questioned.

5 Likes

@HewkiiDaKohliiHead I think you have a fan. XP

1 Like