Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

My only problem with Gali is colour schemes.She could stand to lose one of the metallics, but otherwise she’s perfect.

Skull scorpio is one of my favorite sets i prefer him over skull basher and skull warrior, I just love the gimmick. And the building experience was great :smirk:

I actually agree with this 100%. I think, in hindsight, it as misleading to attempt to placate the fans with false promises about the line continuing in written form only for it to be dropped abruptly without proper conclusion. Not to say it was all Greg’s fault or anything, obviously he was just trying to keep the theme alive in some way, but yeah, it wasn’t handled well.

-Mesonak

3 Likes

I forgot an unpopular opinion.

Turaga > Bohrok-Va

7 Likes

Shaddup XD

Oh yeah, forgot to reply to this too:

I don’t necessarily mean either of those things. I guess I should probably elaborate a little; when I say “better off with the fans,” I mean that Lego has proven themselves incapable of replicating the widespread success and quality standard that BIONICLE once had. This is because they are a company, and they are understandably worried about producing good sales results. These problems and anxieties that Lego may be facing can cause them to make mistakes as they try to do what is best for all of their various properties and figure out how to best sell them to today’s kids, especially if you believe, like me, that BIONICLE G1 was like lightning in a bottle and may be hard, if not impossible, to perfectly replicate. It’s been said time and time again; Lego sells sets, not stories, and for what it’s worth, many of the sets produced for G2 were spectacular. However, they mismanaged the storytelling aspect of G2 pretty severely.

I’ll use the obvious example to elaborate on my point; the 2015 animations. Why do they exist in the form they’re in? Why are they short, online-only animations that were clearly not made with an incredibly large budget? Is it because Lego was not confident enough that BIONICLE would turn a profit to invest in a full TV show, as most of their other story-driven themes typically receive? Is it because they were testing the waters to gauge reception and ease fans into the theme before committing to JTO? Is it because of outside factors, like allocation of marketing budgets for all of their respective themes and the fact that BIONICLE is merely a constraction line, and unlikely to ever truly “take off” like their Big Bang System themes? We’ll never know the answer to these questions, more likely than not, and that’s just for one aspect of G2.

Fans don’t have to worry about that stuff whatsoever. They have the capability to just immerse themselves in the world of BIONICLE and make good stories, and let Lego handle the plastic toy portion of things (although even that seems to be changing, as fans have started to do what Lego will not). Pereki’s Trial by Tahu Short is a better told story than anything G2 produced and he created it in his spare time. I’m just speaking from a story standpoint, but the same thing is true with MoCists; look at what people have been able to achieve without having to worry about a set’s budget and price-to-part ratios and all that stuff that goes into set design. It’s the main reason why people were so excited back when G1’s story was going to continue past the BIONICLE Stars. BIONICLE could finally have a chance to tell a story that wouldn’t be shackled to whatever new wave of sets was on shelves at any given point! Obviously, that didn’t happen, but the spirit of the idea still applies today.

Obviously, not everybody in the BIONICLE community is immediately capable of telling master-level stories or making top-notch MoCs, but their freedom to do so without worrying about outside factors and marketing budgets and all that stuff is why the concept of BIONICLE will always have a greater chance to flourish outside of Lego’s immediate control.

-Mesonak

12 Likes

Here’s some unpopular opinions:

1. Toa Nuva > Toa Mata
  2. Bohrok-Kal > Bohrok
  3. I never liked greebling, even as a kid, it seems pointless to have a bunch of superficial detail that has to purpose.
  4. The Red Star is stupid, once you’ve created something that make death meaningless, you’ve done something wrong.
  5. I don’t think there was any bad year of Bionicle.
3 Likes

This is actually a very popular opinion. =P

2 Likes

Am I missing something here? From what I read I thought the red star basically became the after life of the matoran universe because it malfunctioned. When you die you get sent there as a spirit and you can’t leave. How is that not an afterlife?

1 Like

I don’t want Bionicle to ever be a system theme because instead of $15 - $20 dollars sets of each characters, it would be $15 - $20 sets based on vehicles which would be shoehorned into the story. Also the sets we would want like cities or temples would be $100 still with vehicles that raise the price.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why people don’t like pohatu 2016

is it just the colors?

there’s nothing else really wrong with him

2 Likes

2016 Pohatu shoulder are atrocious, but the only good thing about it is the arm not looking short compared to Gali/Lewa. and a decent chunk of pieces for moc’in
Also his weapon is boring compared to the other toa’s.

Pohatu’s shoulders are really good, actually. The give a huge range of motion, while having a defining broadness to them. They’re better than kopaka’s, at least.

2 Likes

I like the Ben 10 line more than the Toa Inika.

2 Likes

@Eljay 's voice isn’t very fitting for Lewa in my opinion.

6 Likes

:scream: Now that’s really unpopular… why though?

2 Likes

I like the animated look of the Ben 10 pieces more than the weird pseudo organic ones that came with the Inika.

2 Likes

…But the only aspect of the Inika that was even remotely ‘organic and weird’ was the masks, while the bodies, the armor and the weapons were pretty much the usual greebly Bionicle stuff (with the addition of what I like to call ‘the Voya Nui polka dots’).

1 Like

I’ve never liked greebling, even as a kid. I’ve never got why complained about Bionicle 2015 because of the lack of greebles. That’s probably why I didn’t like 2016 that much.

1 Like

I love greebling, if you ask me. I can’t really explain why, though. I guess it’s because I grew up in early '00s (a period when this particular aesthetic was popular, I think). However, I must confess that when Hero Factory 2.0 came out, I tried to convince myself to like the sleek, smooth designs of the sets, but ultimately, I find the greebly nature of the Bionicle pieces more nostalgic and visually appealing.

As far as the G2 sets go, the Masters were a bit too chunky for my tastes, while the Uniters had a quite grating combination of the excessively detailed torso armor and rather standard CCBS limbs.

4 Likes

^ So much this. I hate how I also had to confess myself to like sleeky smooth design because I had no choice, there was no alternative opportunity to choose another constraction system. And now there still isn’t.

1 Like