Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Yeah, I agree a lot here.

When HeroFactory was first revealed, my little self went “This is for five year-olds,” but I eventually got sucked in, to the point where I had fonder memories of HeroFactory than Bionicle. This has most certainly changed by now, but there are still really fun characters and sets out there.

HeroFactory was always more approachable than Bionicle. Being introduced to Tahu as Mistika, I saw Tahu Stars and was like, “Who’s this guy?” Learning there were more Tahu’s out there, it still took me a year to even learn that Tahu was basically the main character, or at least the poster character. Furno I instantly knew was the guy you were supposed to root for, you know? It was much easier for me to get invested in since I knew what was going on.

That, and Breakout will forever have a special place in my heart.

3 Likes

That, and the fact that it lacked the complex lore of Bionicle, which I personally never really minded.
Hero Factory can’t even compare to Bionicle. But when you stop thinking about what the theme didn’t have and start thinking about what it did have, you come to the conclusion that it was a pretty fun and cool theme, that I would personally love to see rebooted in some way or another.

Reboots are not a good idea

The Bionicle 2015 sold terribly, whether you blame that on Lego or not, I still see them at toy shops sometimes!

Then I’ll say buy them as soon as you can.
Seriosly, trying to get the G2 sets sealed off the seconadary market has started to get pretty expensive for some reason…

For me personally, this is why I dislike Hero Factory. G1 ended and HF was introduced, and I was pumped. New opportunities for new stories and characters to fall in love with, it was a fun, if bittersweet, time. However, not only did HF not have as complex a lore as BIONICLE did, but it was hard to even find the story in the first place.

The theme didn’t get an annualized run of comics like BIONICLE did, the chapter books (those were a thing, right?) were impossible to find, and LEGO never made an announcement on when the TV show was airing. The idea that a LEGO theme would be receiving a tv show at the time was mind boggling. This was a whole year before NinjaGo would start, so LEGO content was usually comics, chapter books, or straight-to-DVD releases. Again, the prospect of LEGO story telling on TV was exciting, but to my knowledge, they never actually posted on the site when the show would be airing. And it was on NickToons of all places, which was essentially an afterthought of Nick’s reruns at the time, so I usually steered clear of it, and thus was never able to catch commercials (which I only know exist because I’ve watched them on YouTube after the fact) saying when it would be on.

If I’m remembering correctly, I think the NinjaGo pilots got an advertisement in the LEGO Club magazine prior to them airing on CN. That’s at least some form of a heads up, and it was enough of one that I tuned in. HF got none of that, which is why I gave up. Unlike other fans, I was never into BIONICLE for the building system. It’s not what got me into the theme, nor is it what got me to stick around. It was the story. HF being BIONICLE’s replacement isn’t what I found insulting, it was that the replacement seemed to care so little for its story that they didn’t bother to properly advertise. To this day that remains the reason I dislike HF, because, in all honesty, it still did some cool things.

It introduced CCBS, which is a great building system, that build-your-own-hero thing was cool even though I wasn’t aware of it back in the day, and with the exception of that animal year and the final wave, the sets honestly looked really cool. There was just never an incentive to buy those cool looking toys because I had no clue what was going on in the story. Even when I noticed the show getting the DVD releases I had no want to buy them because by the time they were coming out, it was like two years after the fact and the story was off doing who knows what by that time.

So there’s my potential Unpopular Opinion. Hero Factory did pretty much everything right except in one way, the story, and that in my mind, is why it’s a failure even though objectively speaking the theme wasn’t a failure because it lasted five or so years, but we’ll ignore that because I still don’t care for the theme :stuck_out_tongue: .

3 Likes

Clone Wars wants to talk to you

I wish I could still find them… I only just a week ago was able to purchase my favorite G2 Toa set.

I mean, do two episodes every six months really count as a show? They were more like specials…

The TV episodes were available on LEGO.com and also later on the official LEGO YouTube channel, so they weren’t really that hard to watch.
In all honesty, you can’t judge Hero Factory for not having the lore of Bionicle. It was LEGO’s (poor) decision to abandon complex stories and focus on simple stories, and Hero Factory was just a casualty of that. As much as I am a Bionicle fanatic that is trying to get every set ever made and read every piece of lore I can find, I never actually grew up with. I grew up with Hero Factory. So for me, and a lot of other people, Hero Factory was our Bionicle, and we loved it as much as people loved Bionicle when was around. Again, Hero Factory can’t even compare to Bionicle, and when compared to it, it does seem like a failure. But when you look at it as a stand-alone, independent theme, you have a cool, unique concept that will still be remembered in years to come. And without it, I would probably not be here, in this amazing community today, and I would probably have been just another casual LEGO fan that doesn’t show any respect for constraction, just because it’s not “LEGO-like”. So that, and the fact that it helped me (and other people) get into Bionicle, something so much more marvelous that Hero Factory could have ever offered, deserves, in my opinion, at least a little respect.

1 Like

There’s a difference between toys and a show

My issue with the Hero Factory show was that it introduced so many potential plot threads and quickly dropped them before they had any form of resolution.

I will say the toys/story-while not as complex as Bionicle-works in being more accessible to Bionicle. I got into Bionicle around 2006 (my first sets I got were from 2004 however) and back then while the plot was complicated, Lego did repost the old story guides and games via the Kanoka Club and watching the movies which helped me get caught up…but how many other kids did that?

It didn’t help that as the plot grew more and more complicated, the Bionicle sets became basically specialized to the point if you were to use a part from a specific set on another character people would say how too similar it looks to the actual character (looking at you Jaller Mahri) and how you had essentially no freedom to use the toys as basic action figures unless you knew everything about the lore and character (which kinda defeats the imaginative play Lego encourages)

Hero Factory at the very least was very much like Slizers or Roboriders where-while there was a “story” to the characters-there was no character specific elements nor was it dependent on your knowledge of the story to “play it the right way”. If you were a kid and wanted to use Furno 2.0 as a Robot Tony Stark invented or use The Fire Lord as a Decepticon general in your play time or swap some parts around the figures, nobody was forcing you not to. It truly was like a sandbox tool in much the same way earlier Constraction themes encouraged.

2 Likes

I don’t. I judge it for having a bad story. NinjaGo doesn’t have as in-depth a lore or backstory as BIONICLE and its great. It’s fleshed out, but it’s not near as expansive as BIONICLE. HF didn’t need to have as in-depth a lore as BIONICLE, it just needed one. Concepts are great and all, but if you don’t have anything beyond that to make your story interesting, you’ve got a problem. I’ve since watched most of the series (which yes, I count it as a series, even if it’s not a traditional one) and don’t have much of a grasp on the characters or why much of anything is happening. Maybe the books did it better, but I don’t know.

It seemed like it was just a series of 22 minute long commercials for toys to buy, which is the worst thing you can say about a LEGO show or any TV show based on a toyline. NinjaGo doesn’t feel like that. BIONICLE G1 didn’t (it had movies, but still, same thing essentially).

I’ve never judged HF for being a replacement for BIONICLE. It is its own thing, and should be judged by its own merits. And there are very little merits by which to give it praise, IMO. Some cool toys, good building system, but modern toylines obviously need more than just that to survive. Very few can be a Barbie type evergreen theme that doesn’t need much of a story, which is why in the past 20 years or so, LEGO has been pushing story themes.

Unlike Exo Force or Atlantis, which were more sandbox themes with vague premises and some story, Hero Factory was given a similar treatment as the other story themes like NinjaGo or Chima or Nexo Knights. This is really where I judge the line as a theme. Not as a replacement to BIONICLE, but as one of LEGO’s many story themes. Unfortunately, it doesn’t do very well in that department, and that’s the reason I don’t like it

This was really what I was trying to get at with my earlier post. Not “the lore isn’t as complex so it isn’t as good” but “um… what story?”.

2 Likes

Weather you consider comaercials or not, at least they were well-done commercials. I personally don’t care. A TV show can be made purley to advertise sets and I can still enjoy it as long as it’s well done and has a decent amout of effort put into it. Seriously, did you know Mark Hamil was the voice actor for Von Nebula?
And I personally enjoy Hero Factory’s story a lot more than G2’s story any day.

For me it was just the very wasted potential, on a worse scale than G2 even.

At least in G2 there was groundwork for the future. Things we deepening and picking up towards the end of the second year. It just didn’t have time to develop.

Hero Factory, on the other hand, went on for what, 4-5 years? It had a really nice premise (that tied extremely well into the buildable figures theme), and there were a few interesting plot threads, but nothing was ever well explored. Everything moved too quickly for it to really get into the meat of things.

For what it was worth, the first television series was really good, though maybe a little light on world building (we got names of certain cities and places and such, but nothing substantial enough for me to say I’m familiar with even a place like Makuhero City). But it’s still very enjoyable and laid the groundwork for an expanding galaxy.

Things escalated from there a bit, Trial by Fire felt more like a quick exposition to account for the new building system than anything else, but Savage Planet and Breakout were definitely the highlights of the series. Estranged HF employees, mysterious energy sources, a secret plot to overtake the HF from within, a secret Hero Recon Team, all very cool stuff to deviate from the status quo.

But everything afterward felt like a waste. Brain Attack had a secret villain orchestrating everything. Did we ever find out who that was or why he was doing it? Never. And then Invasion from Below might as well not exist. There is no story or personality to anything there. And to make matters worse, the characters and world from Breakout onward completely dropped all sense of continuity.

There was no Stormer/Furno rivalry or any furthering of their mentor/student relationship, Furno suddenly came into his own as a member of Alpha Squad after a point, Surge’s supposed “flaw” was never explored in the slightest, Nex and Evo might as well have been interchangeable (they even changed Nex’s entire personality between arcs), no tension because Hero Core depletion was dropped after Trial by Fire.

It’s all such a shame really, because you can sort of tell they had much deeper things planned for the line. I myself can’t help but imagine the story might have lead to something like Mr. Makuro dies or is killed and the Hero Factory gets overtaken and maybe becomes a “Villain Factory”. Imagine a post-apocalyptic HF where only Alpha Team and a few scattered Heroes remain to have to fight off waves of mass-produced villains, all while their Hero Cores are slowly depleting without a Quaza Chamber to recharge them. What if some of the Heroes we came to know and love were killed off because their cores died, or some had to resort to crazy measures to keep themselves up? What if some Heroes had gone rogue in the collapse, pushing the status quo of the series of a clear divide between good and bad.

All amazing stuff. It’s a shame the original vision never came to be, and it’s also kind of a shame the line we did get never had the chance to go anywhere.

3 Likes

So yeah, it’s not like the line was bad or anything, but it was a wasted potential. The line was pretty successful, and the reason it ended in 2014 was so it can make place for Bionicle G2. So if given more time, it could have turned into something like what you said. That is why I personally think a reboot of the theme could work if executed well.

On the contrary. You’ve missed the meaning in my post.

All TV shows based on toylines are inherently just long commercials. That’s why they exist, to sell more toys, and they use story as an incentive to sell more toys. Good toy shows will have you forget you’re really watching a commercial for a product and get you wrapped up in the story. NinjaGo does this well. Transformers: Prime is a great example.

Because of the lack of a good story in Hero Factory, the show never rose above feeling like a long commercial. I never connected with the characters, and the way they were presented, a sticker with "Furno, available for $9.99 at your local toy store, motor bike sold separately might as well have popped up during the episodes. You can get big VO talents like Mark Hamill and Tom Kenny to be in your show, but they can’t elevate it any if the scripts aren’t up to snuff.

That’s the unpopular opinion of the month right there, lol. HF lived and died by it’s own merits, but G2 had a name to live up to and didn’t. IMO, more wasted potential there than with HF.

And I can’t believe I’m defending G2’s official story (I’ll defend Reiterated all the live long day, but I wonder why, lol) but here we go.

G2’s story was bad, there’s no doubt about that. The characters weren’t defined well, the story was rushed, and the ending was nonsensical. However… it got an ending. There is some form of closure and enough there that we can pick up the pieces and fix it. While the characters aren’t well defined, we know some about them just based on the fact that we can compare them to their G1 counterparts. Pohatu maybe has the most recognizable personality because he was changed so much from his original incarnation.

Does HF have that? I don’t think so. I’ll take a bad story with vague characters and a terrible ending over a story that goes nowhere, has several cliff hangers unresolved, and no definable characters after a certain point. Obviously you can prefer whichever you want, but for me? No brainer.

2 Likes

Sure, that’s a valid point, but I’d argue that, at the least, G2 attempted to make use of the story elements that were present.

G2 was a thing that was done poorly. Hero Factory was a thing that never really was. Yes, one had greater expectations, but it wasted less of its own material than the other that used next to none of it.

3 Likes

So I found this video but I doubt that this is why The Constraction line failed.

Hot Wheels Acceleracers was another good example. So good that when the show aired on Toonami and YTV the shows opening credits had no mention of Hot Wheels at all (going as far to just call the show “Acceleracers” rather than Hot Wheels Acceleracers like the dvd releases) simply because the show was that stand alone from the toys they were based on.

Hero Factory felt like a rather lame toy commercial. I like the toys and the animation quality (done by the same studio that did The Legend Reborn and for better or worse Foodfight!) but any of the interesting plot threads they could have had (depleted hero cores, a Villain Factory that was inferred in Breakout) were dropped as soon as they were mention which just makes the whole thing lazy.

2 Likes

It’s made by a guy from outside the Bionicle community that has no connection with Constraction whatsoever, so he doesn’t know the true reason.

1 Like

Man Bringing up Acceleracers just gave me such a powerful nostalgia trip I may have to dig up the DVD’s from when I was a kid. Thanks for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

My pleasure