Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Don’t forget the dolls

1 Like

Oh yeah, the dolls too.

2 Likes

I’ve always been of the mind that modern sets is too many pieces. I mean, I’m glad we have higher part counts, but some the charm of older sets is the big bulky pieces they used to fill in large sections of a set.

I mean, look at this. Lego made one MASSIVE piece for the zeppelin. Lego would never do that now. They’d make it out of a billion smaller peices.

(Note, I’m not being nostalgic here, I was born in 2001, most of the sets that looked like this were long gone by my time)

3 Likes

I am in full agreement. Having the sets be comprised of a lot of smaller pieces really drives the price up for relatively small builds… which is really frustrating to me.

1 Like

I’m not really even talking about the price, it’s simply the amount of detail simply doesn’t feel like Lego to me.

I have very similar opinions on modern minifig printings.

2 Likes

I have to agree here. It made the sets much more affordable and also somehow felt more ‘lego-like’ to me. It made construction quick and also made it less likely for the model to break.

For example, the Thunder Driller from Power Miners is mainly comprised of giant plastic wheels, three huge plane fuselage chunks, a massive drill and a few other bits. I have owned this set for a very long time, and it could easily sustain me ‘drilling’ with it and did not fall apart as I rammed it into hard surfaces.

On the other hand, a very similar set, Cole’s Earth Driller from 2013 falls apart as I pick it up. This set does not use any pre-made parts other than the drill and the back wheels, making it fragile. The rear fins snap off easily and the textured side panels quickly detach when you grab it by the middle. When the same actions done with the Thunder Driller are attempted, the vehicle crumbles to pieces.

The Thunder Driller is a relatively large vehicle, definitely within the size of a £50 set, yet retailed for an affordable £21.99. Comparatively, I didn’t expect the Earth Driller to retail for more than £12.99 considering its measly size, but it instead retailed for a surprising £17.99 due to its piece count. Despite being the more expensive set, the Thunder Driller is much better value, and remains sturdier by using larger pieces.

1 Like

Lego made one MASSIVE piece for the zeppelin.

It’s actually two pieces that screw together. Kids could store their pieces inside the zeppelin so it served as a container as well as part of the set itself.

3 Likes

Aw that’s cool. Now I want one even more. (I’ve wanted it for a while) but only like, 3 people sell it on bricklink.

2 Likes

Well good luck getting it… It’s an incredibly rare and sought after set…

I don’t really want the set, just the peice. Mostly because I want to build a RA3 Kirov

1 Like

Really? I feel the giant pieces that take up half the set are actually less LEGO than what we have today. It feels kind of lazy, like the dinosaurs (which I actually still like myself) or the old Ninjago dragon heads. Sure, maybe it is more expensive, but I’d rather pay more for more parts for a better building experience.

Plus, this zeppelin is superior

4 Likes

Not a Zeppelin, a sideways hot-air balloon, something different. (Though it looks more like a fat jet engine.)

And I can understand why you and other’s fell like that. Part of why i think the late 2000’s might have been one of the best era’s of lego. It had just enough of a blend of these 2 styles to satisfy both camps.

3 Likes

I actually prefer dragons that use more pre-fab parts over those that are fully brickbuilt. The fully brickbuilt dragons have always looked really off to me.
I think balance between pre-fab and brickbuilt is they key here.

1 Like

The set is literally called the “Raid Zeppelin”

Really? I will forever think that the head for this:

Will be more appealing than the head for this:

Even though I personally own and have a bit of nostalgia for the latter

I guess that is an unpopular opinion about LEGO, which is the purpose for the topic.

2 Likes

Then Lego got it WRONG.

A zepplin is a rigid airship. It has a steel frame, covered in (usually) canvas. Inside are several gas sacks under low pressure. (That’s why even when shot it takes a while for one to crash. It has multiple sacks, and even when shot the pressure’s low enough that the gas doesn’t escape very fast)

What that set seems to show is some sort of side-ways hot air balloon (a sack of heated air to gain lift) or a blimp which is basically one massive gas sack, relying on the gas pressure to give it shape. Also for some reason there’s seems to be a jet-engine in the middle, which makes no sense, but hey, it’s lego.

1 Like

It’s also, like, my favorite set in the wave, I love zeppelins and blimps and balloons and stuff, so I’m kind of sad I missed out on this one

Some of the brickbuilt heads can sometimes work, but most of them end up looking really off.

The Stormbringer Dragon brickbuilt head doesn’t really do it for me, while Lloyd’s Mech Dragon, which has a molded head, looks a lot better in my opinion.

4 Likes

I hate the brick built heads with a passion. They’re far too fiddly and delicate, not durable like the pre-moulded ones. I own Stormbringer and the head has a really long and odd-looking neck, spring-loaded shooters sticking out the back and spikes that routinely fall off. On the other hand, I also own the Earth Dragon Defence, and Rocky’s head never comes apart and the Thornax shooter is integrated perfectly and doesn’t take away from the appearance of the model.

Also, some other (probably) unpopular opinions

• The Hordika are better than the Metru
  • Av-Matoran build is the best Matoran build
  • The Visorak and Vahki are some of the best villain sets
  • Maxilos and Spinax is overrated
2 Likes

Hmmm…

• I strongly support the so-called “rampant canonizations” that happened on the LMB while it was still active.
  • 2009 was a really good year. It was my first introduction to BIONICLE, and I was really lost when it came to all the MU characters and stuff. I was 9 at the time, and the world really captivated me - though I guess age had something to do with that.
  • All the alternate universe stuff was interesting and I actually wish that there was more of it.

I don’t really care for the Vahki because they got basically out-of-commission after the 2004 story, hence I couldn’t care for the sets. But the Visorak were really good sets, I was surprised that people disliked them.

2 Likes

I tend agree on that. Sure, they aren’t perfect, but still I tend to prefer them over the Metru. The poseability and the weapons are definetly superior in my opinion.
Wether they are objectively better than the Metru or not is debateble, but I think we can all agree that the Hordika are some of the most underrated Bionicle sets.

Yes, I also agree with this. The Av-Matoran don’t really deserve all the hate they tend to get.

1 Like