Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Yeah. Compared to all the others, Av-Matoran build is definitely the best. Let’s see:

McToran (2001):
Advantages:

• Adorable
  • Somewhat iconic
  • Disk throw works well
    Disadvantages:
  • No leg movement other than shuffling
  • No head movement
  • No arm movement
  • No eyes
  • Arms and torso only come in six colours, not many colours for custom builds
  • No knees or elbows

Kohliitoran (2003):
Advantages:

• Not many
    Disadvantages:
  • Unnecessarily broad
  • Wonky proportions
  • Really skinny thighs and waist
  • No head articulation
  • No eyes
  • Waist only comes in three colours, limiting the amount of different coloured characters you can make
  • No knees or elbows
  • Function severely limits posability

Metrutoran (2004):
Advantages:

• Disk launcher works well
  • Weapon storage
    Disadvantages:
  • Posability is wack
  • Torso is completely empty from the rear
  • Extremely bad case of blue pins, five visible on the torso
  • Head only moves side to side
  • Torso only comes in eight colours and arms only come in one colour. This severely limits how many different combinations you can have
  • Dual-moulded masks were only ever used for them, meaning that if you want to make your own Metrutoran you have to use one of the six preexisting masks
  • No knees or elbows

Voyatoran (2006):
Advantages:

• Varied builds
  • Good parts packs
    Disadvantages:
  • Re-use of Metru masks
  • Limited articulation on some
  • No eyes
  • Kazi has no head
  • Kazi has no legs
  • Garan and Velika have no hands
  • Garan and Velika have no legs
  • Dalu’s legs are connected in a really strange way
  • Unfortunately, varied builds also make it harder to come up with new characters, as all the builds are completely different from each other
  • No knees or elbows

Mahritoran (2007):
Advantages:

• Complex builds
  • Good mask recolours (except Sarda)
    Disadvantages:
  • No eyes
  • Sarda and Idris have comically large feet
  • No knees or elbows
  • No wrist movement means they can only hold their weapon in one direction
  • Complex builds are really their ultimate downfall, as it makes it harder to amass numbers of them; each Matoran uses moderate technic and more pieces than others

Av-Matoran (2008):
Advantages:

• They have eyes
  • Varied weapons
  • Small parts count means it is quick and easy to create hundreds of them
  • Parts come in a wide variety of colours, so custom characters are easy to pull off
  • Masks are exclusive moulds to them, not just an exclusive recoulour or reused mask like every other Matoran
  • Legs/arms come in three styles and torso comes in two, allowing for greatly varied character designs while still being simple and quick to assemble
  • Tallest Matoran - this means that it doesn’t look awkward standing them next to an Inikabuild, unlike the Voyatoran and Mahritoran
  • Jetpacks!
    Disadvantages:
  • No knees or elbows
  • Brittle sockets on head and hands

I think it’s clear who the winner is.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, no way. The advantages and disadvantages listed here are way too harsh on some of the Matoran and way too lenient on the Av-Matoran. “Small part count” is not an advantage, it’s a severe disadvantage. Might I mention you’re paying over fifty cents per piece in comparison to some of the more complex builds? They’re the same prices for half the parts which serve no better purpose and are really bad for reusing.

The whole “eye” part is weird because technically the Av-Matoran just have head pieces, no more than the others did, except it’s colored and molded to look like it has eyes, despite the entire head glowing and being translucent neon.

“Varied weapons,” maybe, but none of the pieces are new. We did get Mahritoran blades (as much as fans may hate them) and Metrutoran dusk launchers.

Also, is it fair to mention that despite your claim that the different molds for the parts allows for “greatly varied character designs” they are literally all the same build with different shapes of pieces (excluding Radiak, who has four hands), meaning that in terms of building, they are exactly the same? Each one you buy is the exact same as all of the others. I’m not saying this is a unique thing, but Mahritoran, my personal favorite Matoran build, only gave us two clone sets and put two more as a bonus for the real set, Karzahni. Voyatoran are weird, sure, but they’re unique, and it’s worth getting more than one of from a set perspective.

Now, I’m not saying your opinion is invalid, I’m just saying that the logical argument that you’re presenting isn’t, well, logical. You can’t prove Av-Matoran are the best, you can only believe it. I like the Av-Matoran. I’m nostalgic for them (first year was 2008 for me), and they have this adorable charm, especially Solek. Your opinion isn’t wrong, but your argument bleeds with unfair bias and what really gets me is your claim that it’s easy to tell what the best build is. These are the reasons for you, but they just don’t work for me, and I assume they don’t work for a lot of others.

6 Likes

This isn’t an advantage, who builds them by the hundred?!

Build off what @ToaNoah_Wafflemeister said, these are not the best Matoran build out there, and jetpacks is not a plus, it’s one additional piece. While new masks are always great to see, so are new recolours, like in Idris’ blue Ruru so I would also say this point is redundant.

3 Likes

Haha fools

My army is just beginning

4 Likes

You still likely spent $200 or more on just those guys

1 Like

It’s been awhile since I’ve been here but I had to comment on how bad this list is. I mean I’m genuinely impressed with this.

4 Likes

I have to say, my wording wasn’t very good there.

But objectively, the Av-Matoran aren’t any worse than any other Matoran build. People always complain about their lack of knees and elbows, but none of the Matoran had those.

1 Like

Hoseryx is a bad joke that went way too far.

2 Likes

That’s not really unpopular as shown by the number of illegitimate votes that were removed from it. It would have only won if they let it stay rigged.

2 Likes

Some of my unpopular opinions:
Hwekii X Macku FOREVER!
Legend Reborn is my favorite movie.
I think the toa nuva are the ugliest toa.

Some unpopular opinions of mine:

The Hoseryx-debate was necessary, but took way longer than needed.

Solek is not a terrible set.

Lego Technic license cars are overrated.

Teridax is better than Garmadon.

4 Likes

That’s not really unpopular.

5 Likes

cringe

1 Like

Again, objectively av-matoran aren’t any worse than any other matoran. They’ve got better posability than the Metrutoran, Kohliitoran, McToran, Mahritoran, and several of the Voyatoran, demonstrating their superiority over those plebeians with such innovations as eyes, unique mask molds and in some cases wrists, necks, hands and legs.

If we again take a look at the factors in a different way; presented as a tournament, I think it becomes more clear to what I was trying to say before.

Let’s start out with round 1, the McToran. They’re all blind and can’t move due to not having any sort of up-and down leg movement. The philistines physically cannot reach their disk on their back and therefore have no way to attack the towering Av-Matoran. Easy win.
1-0

Round 2 is the Kohliitoran. While they are equipped with proper legs and arms, they still are blind and have the added disadvantage of wielding a dual-handed piece of sports equipment as a weapon. In addition, their gear function has no friction, leaving them extremely floppy and unstable. They could perhaps flick the puck at the Av-Matoran, but seeing as it can’t move any sort of meaningful distance, this attack would be pointless.
2-0

Third round is the first real challenge, the Metrutoran. Unlike the other peasant Matoran, these guys have been gifted with eyes, making them the only other Matoran type able to actually see their opponents. Their disk launcher is powerful and unlike the McToran, their arms are articulate enough that they can actually take their weapon from their back and equip it. The Av-Matoran could easily dodge these shots by utilising their jet packs, granting them with flight. To make matters worse, the Metrutoran have no necks, hindering their vision and therefore they are more susceptible to surprise attacks. Their tiny limbs and huge torsos do nothing to improve their mobility, rendering them pretty much statues, and losing them a point.
3-0

The Voyatoran are an interesting case as they are almost all different, so we’ll have to present this slightly differently, with each Matoran at a time. Kazi is possibly not even alive, as he has no head. Even if he was alive, he also has no legs, meaning all he could really do is stand around and wait for someone to run into him. Similarly, Garan and Velika have no legs either, leading them to the same fate. Dalu has legs but she can’t bend them back at all, but she could in theory lean forward and quickly shuffle to her opponent. However, I think the Av-matoran would win this one. Balta is evenly matched, featuring identical articulation+shoulders to the Av-Matoran and identical weapons to Tanma, so it’s a draw. Piruk on the other hand, has shredder claws, and therefore automatically wins. Overall, the Av-Matoran won the most, so
4-0

The mahritoran are blind as well, but they compensate by having an extremely powerful shoulder-mounted cannon. Unfortunately, being blind also means that they can’t see where they’re aiming it. To make matters worse, their arms can only really go in and out because of the socket used, making mobility of the turret a nightmare and making melee combat more difficult. This attack method is hindered even more by the fact that they have no wrists, rendering their swords practically useless.
5-0

Overall, the Av-Matoran beat out every other type of matoran, mainly due to not being blind or the immobility of their enemies.

2 Likes

Since you’re pitting them against each other with their actual, physical limitations plus sentience, I guess the Av-Matoran would be 0-5, since as soon as they get built, their joints break and they have no moveable limbs.

5 Likes

Depends on how you look at it

As technic sets? Yes.

As Lego sets? No.

Technic sets are about functionality, and while they do have them they aren’t the focus of the set. The focus is the aesthetics and displayability.

1 Like

As long as you keep the Av-Matoran built and don’t remove the limbs they should be fine. The limbs only break when they are constantly taken off and put back. At least, that’s my experience with the Av Matoran.

Unfortunately, that wasn’t mine with that building system. So if we’re being all encompassing with the criteria of these battles… =P

1 Like

I like Ketar

2 Likes

The only snapped parts I’ve had is one of Tanma’s legs and a lime green hand from Ehlek, and even then, that was the way I got them from a bundle of extra pieces. I’ve definitely broken more axle holes on hand pieces than sockets, especially on CCBS ones.

1 Like