Unpopular Opinions about Movies (and Television Shows)

I think you just have a problem with more mature tones. Like the mermauds: how could a bunch of cannibals that live on the bottom of the ocean have cloths? Why would they have them? How would they know how to use them? It makes sense for them to be naked.

1 Like

I agree that itā€™s more realistic, but nudity and the like still makes me a bit uncomfortable.

1 Like

It makes me too but as long as they are not showingā€¦ Anythingā€¦ I donā€™t really have a problem with it.

2 Likes

Same with me. I donā€™t really have a problem with that, but it definitely make me feel uncomfortable.
And the fact that they were supposed to be sea cannibals disguised in beautiful girls wasnā€™t the way to go for me. Mermaids are supposed to be friendly beautiful creatures not demonic beings disguised in beautiful creaturesā€¦
But again, that isnā€™t the main reason I hate this movie. Itā€™s just bad coverall, and that is that.

At least PotC tried more harder than X-Menā€¦

2 Likes

Complaining about unnecessarily dark subject matter and suggestive scenes/references is valid, but all the POTC movies have those. You canā€™t dislike a movie for having those things in there, but be fine with the other four movies in the series have those same elements to them. Itā€™s completely hypocritical.

Blackbeard doesnā€™t hold a candle to Davy Jones or Barbossa, but heā€™s a fine one and done villain. He certainly has more development than Salazar. They literally explained his backstory in a trailer. There probably shouldā€™ve been more to it than that. The dichotomy between being a brutal privateer and straight up murderer is never really explored like it could have. You get the one scene during the flashback and thatā€™s it. With Blackbeard, you feel a sense of desperation in his quest because of the supposed fortune telling of his own doom. He has a drive, and they explore the idea of him as a compassionate father vs. blood thirsty pirate more than Salazar potential struggle.

DMTNT (man I wish theyā€™d gone with a different title, and not the dumb Revenge title used overseesā€¦) also messes up a bunch of lore established in previous films. While At Worldā€™s End makes the true length of Willā€™s stay on the Dutchman confusing, where did this supposed new crew come from? Will very clearly let everyone go that wanted to go at the end of the film. Only his father chose to stay. So why at the beginning of the film does he try and get Henry off the ship before the crew sees him? Why does it matter if the supposed crew sees him? Will is the captain, they have to do what he says. Why did the Dutchman even come up at that point, and how did Henry even figure out how to track it down? It had to have been somewhere nearby so he could row out to it without getting smashed by the sea and be back in time before Elizabeth flipped out. And when Henry ā€œlifts the curseā€, who is in charge of ferrying the dead to the afterlife now? It seems like theyā€™re just left to drift like we saw in At Worldā€™s End. By lifting that curse, Henry has ruined the afterlife for everyone who dies at sea for eternity! The writing team didnā€™t put in enough thought to how lifting Willā€™s curse would mess up continuity.

A lot of the film is like this. The characterization of certain returning characters is way off too. Gibbs being ok with abandoning Jack because theyā€™re out of cash? Nope. Never. Marty, sure. Scrum, sure. The other random guys? Sure. Gibbs? Never. They might decide to go their separate ways for awhile, but he would never outright abandon Jack. Even in Movie 1, he ā€œkept to the codeā€ but came back anyway with the others to save Jack at Port Royal.

If we had seen their relationship deteriorate over the course of the five films, then Iā€™d buy it, but there is no way the same man who toasted to the voyage to Isla da Muerta in COTBP with Jack would ever leave him and only come back when there was the promise of more money.

Also, whereā€™d Cottonā€™s parrot go? We saw it with Jack the Monkey in the bottle in On Stranger Tides, and then was nowhere to be seen afterword.

Itā€™s a bunch of little things like this that bring the movie down. It might have brought Will and Elizabeth back, but their story was wrapped up in 3. We didnā€™t need a continuation of their story. Theyā€™re arguably the worst things about 2 & 3 anyway since itā€™s because of Elizabeth that the infernal love triangleā€¦ well I guess Norrington counts as one vying for her affections as well, soā€¦ love square or pyramid or whatever is a thing in those two. That on top of poor characterization and inconsistencies in the canon really hurts the movie. Not really a surprise either, since it was the first Pirates movie not written by one of the original two writers.

Say what you will about Movie 4, but it was a more back to basics straight forward adventure like Curse of the Black Pearl that understood itā€™s characters, while Movie 5 took some of the worst aspects of previous films such as confusing storytelling and churned out a jumbled, if not enjoyable, mess.

Also in terms of the mermaids, all the actresses wore skin-tight body suits from head to neck. There was never actual any nudity in the entire film, or while shooting.

6 Likes

I never knew thisā€¦ I am sure nobody actually knew it from hereā€¦ It is good to know.

Do we know why he left Sparrow before Black Pearl?

The monkey did hate the parrotā€¦

Got that right.

I mean, if you asked me, I would guess that. I know Fox did that for Mystique.

2 Likes

Still, Tides is my least favorite PotC movie, and nothing can change my opinion.

No, but by the way they pick up, it doesnā€™t seem like they separated on bad terms. More like they did at the end of Pirates 3.

1 Like

What I still canā€™t understand though, is why did Jack left Angelica on that Island? Wasnā€™t she his girlfriend? Just because her father was dead? I just canā€™t understand. Can anybody explain to me?

Well, letā€™s see.

First she impersonated him. Then she drugged him. Then she lied to him. Then she had her father keep him captive. Then she lied to him again. Then she betrayed him when they got to the fountain.

Almost every step of the way she manipulated him into doing what she wanted, so what else are you going to do with a manipulative pirate who betrayed you and would kill you if she had the chance?

Island.

And even then, he said himself that said island was in the middle of a major shipping route, and sheā€™d find a way to barter passage off it pretty easily. He cared about her too much to properly maroon her.

of course he lied and manipulated her in turn, since he had never actually been to the fountain before, but stillā€¦

3 Likes

I vote we rename this topic to ā€œLegoDavid argues with peopleā€. /s

8 Likes

Hey, everybody has their own opinionā€¦

This might be a popular opinion, butā€¦

the Bayformer films absolutely sucked.

The first one was passable, two and three were trash, four was barely watchable. Thank god heā€™s not on Bumblebee.

2 Likes

Since when was that an unpopular opinion?

Yea, I knowā€¦

But still.

The Incredible Hulk (2008) was pretty good imo. Far from perfect but good

2 Likes

Very funny. I believe the point of this topic is to say your opinion which not many people agree with and defend it. This is what ā€œunpopular opinionsā€ means.

You forget the fact that the mermaids were originally cannibal woman-bird hybrids. I actually like that they merged the two forms a mermaid had and I am a fan of the re-imagination that Disney could offer to such generic characters like the mermaids.

Seems fair enough.

I had my theory (I am pretty sure those actresses couldnā€™t accept to play naked) but I wasnā€™t sure.

Jack had quite a few of ā€˜girlfriendsā€™ in only five movies. I actually put him on the top of my list of characters that change their girlfriends in every movie, being beaten only by James Bond (because yes). In this movies, it was proven to us that Jack, even tho is the type that seduces woman, is not the type that is keeping them around. Plus, that crazy woman tried to kill him. And even if we exclude this, Angelica would try to revenge on him that he tricked his father into suiciding, even tho both Black Beard and Angelica herself were OK with her dying for his father. That woman was the number one fangirl of her father, and she wanted to die for him. It was made very clearly at the end of the movie that she was super angry on Jack, and that she wanted revenge.
So keeping an angry woman around that is hating you and that wants to kill you is not really a good idea.

And because this.

Iā€™m for it.

Is a very popular one.

2 Likes