Warframe

Has 7k plat
Specters of the Rail drops
Several Kavats and new items later
Has 3k plat
“What is life?”

Truth be told, the beginning of the game is very rough, especially with platinum. But trust me, it’s worth it to stay with it. I won’t force you into it or anything, but all I’m saying is, maybe give it some time to grow on ya?

Just my two cents. Oh, and one last thing, it really helps to have friends who also play the game. They can help you farm for stuff that goes for good plat and what not.

1 Like

I can’t say I haven’t thought about picking it up again, and I feel like I could probably learn the trading system, given enough time. However, especially with the Overwatch Christmas even on the horizon, I just don’t have the time to invest.

I may look into the trading, and consider jumping back in. I do miss Kelly…

but Linda and Vale are better

1 Like

Seeing as the Holidays are upon us, the festive bundles and stuff are in the game now.

That being said.

Merry early Christmas, fellow Tenno! :smiley:

3 Likes

You are made of Bacon.

Tasty…

3 Likes

I bought that helmet just so I could cosplay as Santa.

Yeah man, I’m totally bacon. Really good this time of year :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Have’nt played in a while, it simply became a ‘pay to win’ mixed with a game that requires you to actually have a team to get most the stuff you want easier.

I don’t really see how it’s pay-to-win since it’s mostly just aesthetics that requires platinum. I think with enough time and grinding in the game, you can get the warframe parts and weapons.
I’m not in the late game yet unfortunately, but I’ve had a great time with Warframe. I’m pretty proud of my Rhino, who I’ve been calling Corona. I need to get back in.

1 Like

I would agree with you were this primarily a PvP game, but it’s co-op. It is definitely Pay-for-Shortcut in order to get better gear faster, but outside of cosmetics, you don’t get anything that you can’t just grind for. It comes down to the simple matter that some people can more easily afford to spend time while others can more easily afford to spend money.

2 Likes

praise be to the whales and dolphins.

Except;

• Exclusive Warframes
  • Exclusive Mods

To normally achieve certain mods you need to be in a group of 4-8 people and do specific things that are almost impossible to co-ordinate unless they are all friends.

There are some bits of gear you will never gain unless you have been putting money into the game from the start, i for example was one of the few to get Excalibur Prime that Prime Warframe will NEVER be released again due to the legal issues.

I’ve invested close to 1000 hours into the game, more than many actually will and even i never stand a chance at getting some of the exclusive mods that were only released once and are unlikely to be released again and/or group missions that unlock specific mods if you each have a specific key.

The only way to even getting close to unlocking everything that isnt pay to win is to have all the following;

• Have eight friends all with Warframe and all willing to play a level roughly 800 times (Praise RNGesus) for them each to unlock the unique mods/items
  • Be active roughly 24/7 in order to be available for exclusive mods given out during event missions
  • Be incredibly lucky given certain mods were given out by competitions only

Ah, see, but here’s the thing: I don’t play Warframe for those things. Although I see where you’re coming from, I don’t really play Warframe just to get exclusives. They sound cool, but to me, they’re out of my reach. I haven’t even started Second Dream yet. And yet, I play Warframe for fun and for the world I immerse myself in. I’m literally a ninja supersoldier. I’m pretty proud with my warframe and don’t really play pvp, so things like those don’t interest me as much.

These things actually don’t exist. Not counting Excalibur Prime (a reward for the Founders), every Warframe is obtainable without paywalls. Same goes for all weapons (also not counting Lato or Skana Prime).

While yes, there are mods that aren’t currently available (Aviator, Argon Scope, Maiming Strike, ect.), they usually show up in the rotations again in the future.

And besides: The bonuses you get from the Raids (minimum of 4 players, mind you - actually don’t need 8) are Arcanes, which you cannot outright buy anyway.

Personally, I’m MR16 and have been playing for over a year. Have basically every item in the game that I want (far from a complete collection, but I don’t need 100%.

TL:DR of Warframe. It’s only P2W if you make it P2W.

2 Likes

Your complaint is that Warframe is allegedly a “pay to win” game and then you proceed to list things that you literally can’t pay to obtain.

wat

4 Likes

I hate to tell ya this Scar, but Warframe is straight up “Pay for convenience” and not “Pay to win”. Furthermore, the mods that aren’t readily available are always made available within decent times of one another.

Also, you do not need to be in groups of 4-8 to do specific things. You can solo almost every single mission in the game and be 100% fine and still progress. As for raids (which require at least 4 people) the only reward you get only from raids is Arcanes, and those only add slight bonuses to your frames and don’t change the game at large. If you wanna dig even deeper, there’s a discord server dedicated to helping get players into raids, and everybody in that community is super nice (the whole community as a whole is super nice).

I just don’t see how you view this as a “Pay to win” game when that is very clearly not the case. Oh, and another thing… the only “exclusive” frame is Excal Prime (which you have) for the founders who, essentially, helped Digital Extremes out of going bankrupt and supported the game in its earliest stages.

Also, like @Ekorak I’m an MR 23, have all the things I want in the game, and never find myself feeling like I need to go through a paywall to progress. Also just like him, I’ve been playing Warframe for a year.

1 Like

Assuming MR is Mastery Rank, only a 5. They added a lot to the game and haven’t played in a while except just recently.

Yes, MR = Mastery Rank.

Also, I’m glad you’ve decided to pick it up recently. We’ve been getting a lot of really good content from the past few updates, and a frame that is (imho) the best designed frame to date.

Just waiting on that Frost Deluxe skin. I don’t necessarily like it, but I’ll get it. #fashionframe

2 Likes

is Warframe Pay To Win

Pay To Win is described as 'when a game company sells stuff that gives an in game advantage through micro transactions’

Does Warframe sell stuff that gives an in game advantage through micro transactions?

Yes

This is undeniable, though it has improved to an extent thanks to the founders/donators.

As a founder there were constant discussions with developers about the games Pay To Win nature - eventually they were convinced to change it to improve sales. I believe one of the main conversations at the time had a massive stream of comments were there was a back and forth between introducing helmets (Similar to TF2 Hat’s) which you would unlock either randomly or be able to purchase. This is why its now primarily cosmetic upgrades or the ability to gain things if you wait long enough.

Admittedly despite being a horribly broken Pay To Win game at the start, Warframe’s Pay To Win has improved to an extent.

• Prime Vault offered the return of certain primes, though it could take months or years to get the Prime’s you are missing via this method and certain Warframes simply wont return.
  • Mod’s can be traded however there are certain Mod’s that recieved a limited release so you’ll be unlikely to find them
  • Certain Warframes can be traded, however those who have these Warframes will charge high prices in terms of platinum and the only way to get platinum is via doing trades, trades are limited to a set amount each day so it could take you weeks or months to get enough Platinum without buying from the story

As a founder me and others brought this up on occasions given the exclusive founder chat with the developers, which is why you are now saying its not Pay To Win - because myself and others actually convinced them to change it to improve sales. This is why its now primarily cosmetic upgrades or the ability to gain things if you wait long enough.

Its Pay To Win is done ‘ok’, in that a majority of the time the items will re-enter the game at some point months or years down the line (in some cases players are still waiting for specific mod’s/warframes to be re-released)

Some players will ignore the exclusive Warframe that was given out solely to paying players. Others will ignore the mods given out by micro transactions that have still yet to be re-released.

The majority seem to lie that the micro transactions are only cosmetic and that the market trading allows you to get everything, however this is not accurate as market trading relies on other players having the item you want and some items/mods were only gainable through competitions or are limited so chances are you’d never find them in the trade.

I suppose its a tiny possability someone would have it, but you have more chances of winning the lottery every single week for a year than you do to find a specific mod released at the start of the game during a competition to a limited amount of members.

I was giving an example of a ‘Pay To Win’ exclusive because those still happen. You could only ever obtain them through micro transactions - and this situation specifically with Mod’s has been happening up until i last played the a game a few months ago.

There is no such thing as ‘Pay For Conveniance’. ‘Paying for Conveniance’ if anything would be more related to the motives for why you may pay. In addition, if you are paying for the conveniance of aspects that are only available in micro transaction… that perfectly matches the definition of Pay To Win as you are being inconvenianced by the lack of certain Warframes, Mods or Items.

http://i43.tinypic.com/jzjsrp.jpg
There are Orokin Vault’s to unlock certain mods’, this requires;

• The user to be severely handicapped
  • The user to bring a key with them that has a chance to unlock the vault
  • The handicap of the person depends on the key
  • The key’s are difficult to find, make and use to rely on rare items*

*Unsure if this is the case anymore

The point being that this mission is clearly designed for four people. You have effectively a 1 in 4 chance (If RNGesus smiles upon you) however i’ve been a member in cases where we’ve had two party members with different keys that we kept the same each time, and after 10 tries neither of us got to open the vault.

Depends what you refer to as exclusive;

There are around 31 Warframes

Remember that trading requires you to have lots of something that someone else wants, specifically if you are getting Warframe pieces to make a Warframe.

Even if some of these are on a rotational basis, the Prime Vault for example, thats once every 6 months so assuming that each month you get one new prime… its going to be 15-16 YEARS before you get them all via this method.

• Plus in that time they’ll have expanded the number of Warframes thus making it take even longer for you.
  • Plus it has the possibility for the same Warframe to re-appear
There are around 839 Mods

Mod’s are arguably the worst to collect;

• Around 839 in total
  • 50 distributed in small numbers to competition winners
  • 93 introduced solely as founder/donator perks.
  • Another 100-200 that have never re-appeared since introduction in 2013

Once again, you can trade for these, but trading requires you to have something someone wants and a majority of the mod’s that are traded are unfortunately rather basic.

I've been playing Warframe since its release.

I was one of the founders who eventually helped rally towards less ‘Pay To Win’ options. At one stage rather hilariously we debated with staff about cosmetic’s such as hats for Warframes similar to Team Fortress 2.

I was one of those there for the developers partial breakdowns where we were told that they needed help promoting the game, for which we recommended a fan contest revolving around videos advertising the game.

The point is though that its not like you hit a pay wall. You dont have to hit a ‘pay wall’ for it to be ‘Pay To Win’. Instead its a ranking difficulty level that limits progression, specifically solo progress which a lot of new players start off as - coupled with a limit to the variance of your Warframe should you neglect to get the newest frames or mods.

Certain loadouts are simply better than others and usually a specific mod can make all the difference or a specific Warframe can effectively have a better time with the same loadout.

I have a question.
Name a single mod, weapon, Warframe or item you cannot get without paying for it. Again, not counting Excalibur Prime Access items, as they are a unique case and do not count towards “Pay To Win” because you can’t even buy them.

I am honestly curious. Because there aren’t any.

Also, the Dragon vaults. The keys are easy to make. Cheap reusable permament blueprint and any decent player has no problem with any of the debuffs from the keys. While they do “require” four people (a false truth, as you CAN do them solo but it’s not recommended), I rarely even play them with friends. There is a chat LITERALLY only for recruiting people when you need them. It’s not a big deal.

Same goes for the Raids.

2 Likes