Was There Ever a Copper Hau?

there is a bronze/copper colored hau, I think there was

Yea im pretty sure there was one. I recall seeing n a photo somewhere, but when I search it up on google all I see are copper hunas and komaus, no hau, so im not sure if i got a metallic gold or a copper one.

1 Like

Edited title for grammer - Invader

No, there never was one. The seller probably has it confused with the gold Hau, like you said - that or it’s a custom.

I think the seller confused, as far as I’m aware there’s only copper Huna and Komau, you can check BS01 for the copper kanohi and the various versions/colorations of the Hau

Edit: Kapura’d?

1 Like

I only know of the copper Huna.

The gold coloring back in the day was very close to copper. Looking at a gold hau in front of me, I can definitely see how someone could mistake it for copper

3 Likes

Like he said, gold looked sort of copper, so that’s likely what it is.

1 Like

Note how similar the copper and gold are. They probably just mistook the '01 gold Hau for copper.

(Kapura’d to the maximum extent)

9 Likes

ive got an old gold one that i thought was copper, its darker than my gold miru’s and kakama

First of all AMAZING COLLECTION.
Most people are saying that its the gold hau, which is disappointing, but still cool

@Mechmaster oh ok so he must’ve confused it with mettalic gold then. Man i was relly hoping it was a copper hau

@Pereki it was in the parts section, ot custom so i can only assume that is isnt copper and that its metallic gold

@Leoxandar
http://board.ttvchannel.com/uploads/db5640/original/3X/6/c/6c76d40b0163cabd3d898dd7f84d3171e388861e.png
As far as this post shows, these are the only 2 copper masks

Edited for quadruple-post. Please take a look at our site rules, specifically the section on double-posting. Thanks. --John Smith

2 Likes

Oh man, I wish it was mine.

Sadly, that picture actually belongs to Google Images. :confused:

3 Likes

Soooooo . . .
How do I tell y’all this?
(Golden pakari for reference)

(Second picture just for doubters who want to see production marks)
So yeah, copper masks definitely exist, but idk about a hau (don’t have one)

Edit: sorry abt the double posting, it’s been a while since I last was actively here

2 Likes

Huh, that’s peculiar. Do you remember where you got that golden pakari from? The color looks a bit off to me.

just a local lego store. I have several other gold kanohi, all of them match color, so it’s not like it’s spray paint or something.

edit: just noticed the “copper” masks are slightly translucent

Does old gold decolor into copper, just like white turns into tan after sun exposure?

1 Like

The masks on the right look more Ike the gold masks I have than the one on the left; where’d you get the left one?

1 Like

As I said before, at a local lego store.

1 Like

That other gold Kanohi is very likely some sort of painted version. “Copper” was commonly used as a descriptor for the particular shade of gold used on the Kanohi from the 2002 Krana packs. This was a weird point of contention for me when looking through Bricklink for them back in the day. This has mostly been subsumed by “Bionicle Gold,” which I believe was specifically created for those masks.

As you might be aware, the process for molding metallic parts is subject to a wide variety of color inconsistency for these parts. Although silver is most commonly seen with this (Flat Silver vs Pearl Light Gray, etc…), metallic Kanohi have the same issue. All the ones I’ve had (a few full sets now) have been somewhat transparent. I hear this is due to the coloration being added in afterwards, but this is not confirmed and I hadn’t actually checked on this much.

People listing Copper, Metallic Gold, or Metallic Silver are usually just describing the regular release gold/silver Kanohi from the Krana packs. In terms of regular release, the only Copper masks are the Huna and Komau as Copper Masks of Victory. I’ve heard differing remarks on European vs American prints of the Huna, with the American ones supposedly being more transparent. Again, something I read on BZPower 15+ years ago, and cannot confirm myself.

1 Like

@mrbioproductions here is the exhaustive list of all the 2001 Kanohi (plus Avohkii and Kraahkan) in all the colors ever produced or even predicted to exist.

The names of the colors are semi-arbitrary, but the color IDs are official lego IDs, so you can track them down based on that.
The gold Mata masks were produced in color known officially as yellow flip/flop (color ID 178) and copper masks were made in red flip/flop (color ID 176). Both of these are known to be quite variable on how translucent they are, so it happens often that people mix these two up.
As you can see in the table, no masks outside of Huna and Komau were ever produced in red flip/flop (176), nor have been predicted to exist at any point. (If you are interested in how such predictions were made, I suggest you read more of the linked topic). The Hau you ordered is probably just yellow flip/flop (178) Hau.

@Toa_Infiereon I heavily suspect the two “copper” masks are just gold aka yellow flip/flop (178) - the color looks exactly like on the picture. The “gold” Pakari looks to be spray-painted.
That said, there is always a possibility that something new emerges, which we have not forseen. Would it be possible for you to post more images of the “gold” Pakari, ideally in comparison to more gold pieces (various shades of gold)? And most importantly, can you show pictures of the other matching “gold” Kanohi? That should help elucidate this.

EDIT: I have updated the link to the updated tables, after the recent discoveries.

3 Likes