what 2008 should have been and never will...

You were underwhelmed by the reveal of the Great Spirit Robot and Makuta’s grand plan? What? How?

5 Likes

Aw yeah, uh, of course!

Wow, you must have really hated everything else about Bionicle.

Seriously, though, that’s like the best part of G1.

1 Like

I remember that moment, literally everything about G1 as we knew it exploded as the face of the god we never really saw ripped through the island we all loved.

BEST PLOT TWIST!

4 Likes

Especially since it was multi-layered for me. I read the final book a good month before the Mata Nui rising animation went up on the website, and it mentioned zip about Mata Nui being a robot. My mind was blown that somehow the Toa ended up handing Makuta Teridax the keys to the universe.

Then the comic came out a little while later, and I finally saw the Mata Nui robot in all it’s glory, and had another mind blow. With all the different aspects of the Ignition trilogy, makes me really wish we got a 2006, 2007, and 2008 movie trilogy.

3 Likes

I feel like movies would have not gone as dark as the comics and books, I mean, all three years ended on some relatively downer plot points,

2006- ignika gets lost to the depths of the pit
2007- matoro dies to revive mata nui
2008- teridax wins

08 especially, I doubt they would have ended the movie the way they ended the year with a “teridax won, too bad” haunting glare from the gsr.

1 Like

Well, those endings can easily be changed somewhat by just having 06 end with Matoro holding the Ignika, 07 ending with the promise of the Toa Nuva going to make sure Matoro’s death wasn’t in vain (basically the way it ended anyway), and 08 with Mata Nui rising. Let’s also say The Legend Reborn exists in this hypothetical, and we get Makuta taking control in the first moments of that film anyway, so nothing would really need to be changed for the film plots.

1 Like

I don’t have a good response to this beyond “2008 was really cool IMO, don’t know what you’re on about”.

1 Like

I’m saying the changes they would make for the films would neuter the impact of the endings, along with several other plot points, it’s not that they couldn’t, it’s just that it wouldn’t be as good.
Especially

That’s my problem, 08 ended with Makuta winning, that’s the end of the year’s(and the entirety of the story’s grand) arc, that’s why it’s such a powerful moment,
everything that’s been done, everyone who’s been lost, all to stop Makuta and reawaken mata nui, in the effort to stop him our heroes ended up winning for him, the kraahkan forms a constellation in the sky, a haunting laugh echoes throughout the mu, and the gsr’s eyes fade to red, cut to black,
glueing it to the opening of tlr instead just makes it exposition to jump-start that plot with no impact on the audience.
Get my point?

08 isn’t a perfect year, the toa could have used better color schemes and masks generally(I’ve seen a fan concept for lewa that was perfect), but the story and setting are some of the most impactful of all of g1, and aside from some visual changes to the toa I wouldn’t change a thing about it.

2 Likes

Ok, that’s true. We can debate back and forth about it forever, but we’ll never know for sure, unfortunately.

I don’t have a problem with the radical redesign of the Nuva masks (except maybe Onua’s, that’s just a bad mask in general) since '08 was my introduction to the Nuva, but if I had known who they were beforehand I’m sure I’d be in the same boat of outrage as everyone else. Except maybe with Kopaka’s mask. That one seems fine to me as a redesign.

That is indeed and issue, you can spin '06 and '07 with happy(ish) endings but not '08 so unless legend reborn could have been confirmed, the ignition trilogy would have ended badly… unless, and this is my proposal:

'06 ends with them holding the ignika
'07 ends with them realising they can go and save mata nui and defeat the makuta by going to karda nui.
'08 ends with rising and then post credits scene, the eyes flicker to red for a second.

I smell sarcasm. But when you look at it objectively, 2008 was literally about awakening the Great Spirit.

Whatever you say. Different strokes for different folks. I personally thought the ending was kind of anticlimactic. I didn’t mind it and thought it was pretty decent back when the Mata Nui thingies came out. But looking at it in retrospective, a lot of the plotlines were left open by the end in a very tangled way. Not even Greg managed to wrap them all up.

But I gotta agree that nothing screams battle between gods as a duel of giant Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots.

EDIT: I just now realized you thought I meant the end of 2008. No. I didn’t. I LOVED Mata Nui’s rising and Makuta basically winning. That stroke my Bionicle fanboy deeply. I disliked the 2010 arc, which was the de facto end of Bonkles.

2 Likes

tbh i liked what we actually got instead of this

1 Like

let’s just say;
mechs suck, why would you want a mech having UNLIMITED POWER!

1 Like

I like your idea. But I think the two themes, sky and your own, are balanced. I love your idea, but I think they could have kept it that way, then make one more year like yours. But I must admit, even a Xplode’s head could have done better than gali mistika aka waffle eye

*Says there was too much silver and proceeds to add a ton of silver.

Seriously though the only bad part about 08 were the brittle joints and some of the masks. Also Mechs? Thats the most original idea you have? The vehicles we got were far better then any mech could be and why would Onua have 3 legs in the first place? It just doesn’t make sense. Why is Kopaka a rahi? Again it makes little sense. A 3 way blaster implies there are barrels going in different directions. A rotating triple barreled Midak Skyblaster would look awful and add more weight to the original design. Also there was no CCBS in 08. Not to be rude but I really think this was poorly thought out. Just a lot of these concepts make zero sense and I, like many other fans, can agree 08 was really good the way it was.

1 Like

I don’t think they were bad sets per se, but they weren’t good representations of the characters they were supposed to represent in all honesty. The Phantoka at least had some resemblance to the Toa they were based on but the Mistika were wholly unrecognizable as the Toa they are meant to represent.

Those designs might have worked for original characters or even the Toa Inika/Mahri who were the original planned characters to be featured in 2008 (with Matoro sacrificing himself in that intended plot line at the core of the universe to reawaken Mata Nui) since those characters’ redesigns were pretty drastic each year.

But since they were meant to be the Toa Mata/Nuva who obviously were the very first Toa we saw as sets and at that time didn’t have a new set since 2002 or much story relevance since 2003 up until that point, a lot of fans at the time-myself included-were disappointed by the changes made to them. They just didn’t look like the characters we knew hence the backlash.

My personal choice would’ve been a series that lasted for 3 seasons, with each season having about 5 to 10-ish episodes (except for the 3rd season, which would have 10 to 15-ish episodes due to all that was going-on story-wise that year).

@Kardax

My personal preference for the end of a 2,008 movie would’ve been having the end be Mata Nui Rising, followed by the Eye Color Change to Red, followed by the Coliseum Celebration, followed by The Stars Forrming Teridax’s Mask/Teridax’s “I won” speech (during which it would show the audience that the Mask of Life had been launched into space); go to credits.

Then, for those die-hard fans who stayed for the credits, they’d get a post-credits scene, where we would get the first time we heard Michael Dorn’s voice in the series being Mata Nui saying just three words from within the Mask as it hurtled through space:

“I will return.”

Well then it wouldn’t be 2008.

I’m not opposed to the idea of mechs if Bionicle is brought back. We already had the Exo-Toa, after all.

That just doesn’t really fit with this topic.