What are the real world Toa and Matoran sizes?

This definitely falls under one of the more basic questions, so I won’t be surprised if it’s been asked before, and if it has been I apologize. That being said it’s a question that’s been on my mind for a long time.

About how tall would Matoran, Toa, and Turaga be in the real world? Especially compares to humans? Are the Toa close to human size, making Matoran very short, or is it the other war around with Matoran being human sized and Toa are towering giants compared to us? Maybe something in between, or different entirely?

1 Like

For toa, scroll down to the measurements section. You can extrapolate from there.

3 Likes

Well as it turns out, they say it flat out in real world measurements on the Toa page.

So Toa are about human height, and Matoran are really short.

Now I feel kinda silly making a whole topic about this when the info was so easy to find.

5 Likes

I believe Greg also confirmed in the past that Matoran are 1 bio tall.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I remember from the commentary of Mask of Light the makers of the movie were also told Toa were about 6ft tall IIRC, but in another source (according to BS01 it’s the “BIONICLE: Encyclopedia Updated”) Toa are about 1.6 bio tall meaning the average Toa height is around 219 cm/ 7’2".

I found this Greg answer from 2010, where he also says Toa are about 7’2": Official Greg Dialogue | Page 262

In this 2003 answer, he says “I believe, roughly 6 feet tall”: Official Greg Discussion | Page 2

He also says if you want to know Matoran heights, comparing the Matoran sets of a particular year to that year’s Toa is a decent way to gauge it.

Here (2004) he says Matoran are a third the height of Toa, half at most: Official Greg Discussion | Page 41

Here (2008) he apparently said 4.5ft “sounds right” for average matoran height, but that is over half the height of the average Toa… : Official Greg Dialogue | Page 104

Regarding Matoran, it’s worth remembering that some of the sets we got represented weakened/buffed Matoran. For example, the 2001 McToran were smaller because they were weakened by the Matoran Spheres. The Voya Nui Matoran were smaller because they were badly fixed by Karzahni, and the Av-Matoran in Karda Nui were bigger than normal because the energy in Karda Nui makes Av-Matoran and Toa of Light get bigger. So the 2003 “Rebuilt” Matoran, the 2004 Metru Matoran, and the restored-via-Pit-Mutagen 2007 Mahri Nui Matoran are the ones that should be most representative of normal average Matoran heights. In general, from what I can tell, normal Matoran are about 4ft tall.

1. So Greg, which one is right? Is the average Toa height about 6ft or 7ft 2in?

2. What about Matoran? Would you stick to the “compare them to the Toa sets of their year” principle?

6 Likes

I believe, roughly 6 feet tall”

Trust the Encyclopedia, as it gives a more definitive statement.
A Bio is 4.5 feet, and a Toa is 1.6 Bio, because Toa Tahu Mata as a set was 1.6 decimeters. 1.6 * 4.5 = 7.2 feet.
(NOTE: This is not 7’2", an inch is one twelth foot. This is two tenth feet, it’s decimal.)

As for Matoran, comparing the Toa Metru to the 2004 Matoran (which are normal-sized Matoran), 4.5:7.2 is a very reasonable ratio. (15:24 Modules) (Module = One stud, pinhole, half a pin, width of a brick, 2.5 the thickness of a plate, etc.)
Note that since Toa Metru and Toa Mata sets are different in height, but the same height in the story, it’s reasonable to assume the Matoran of the different years are too differently scaled from one another, but in scale with the Toa of their year.

10 Likes

Tahu’s set being 1.6 decimeters/16cm makes a lot of sense as a basis for the 1.6 bio figure. Do you have a source to confirm that or is that just an educated guess?

You’re quite correct that 7.2 feet is not the same as 7’2", but it is 7 feet and 2.4 inches, so it still rounds to 7’2".

I agree with you on the rest too, pretty neat!

4 Likes

The set stands 20 modules tall (minus the mask), one module being 8 mm. As for a source;

Though I know it has been said much earlier than this, I just don’t remember where.

2 Likes

Meh, I always imagined Matoran as human-sized and toa as these magnificient giants.

I personally see it as being something like the Toa are typically around 7.2 feet tall, the Matoran about 3-3.5 feet, and the Turaga about 4-4.7 feet tall. :+1:

In other words, the Toa are the extra tall adults, the Matoran are the children, and the Turaga are the elders who have shrunken back to almost the size of children.

1 Like

I hate when people don’t use ‘normal’ units.

2 Likes

What’s a “normal” unit in your mind?

Non-imperial. Not to be rude, but it’s annoying every time I need to check what 7.2 feet means. No offense, though.

1 Like

Might want to get used to that.

2 Likes