What Are You Afraid Of?

When I say "PASTA!!!" to someone and they say: “What?”

1 Like

I possess an irrational fear of bodily harm. Combined with an overactive imagination and some probable undiagnosed hyperactivity issues, I tend to unwittingly imagine being constantly horribly harmed, and subsequently squirm when idle.

I was really smart when I was very young, and now (although I remain mostly intelligent,) my work ethic has shattered to bits to the point where my GPA is basically committing suicide via starvation, or something to that effect. I cannot complete anything until a deadline is nigh. If I even try I end up wasting my time and feeling worse about myself.
Consequently, I have a suppressed and lingering fear of failure and of being viewed as stupid. I don’t like people who flaunt their intelligence. Perhaps I should develop a phobia of hypocrisy.

I also hate myself on some deep fundamental level, but that doesn’t quite count as a fear, so I shan’t elaborate.

9 Likes

… Dude… This is me in words… How’d you even manage that?

4 Likes

I described myself.

Evidently you’re also me and that being the case I hate you too.

<3

4 Likes

yup, that’s me too,
though my grades are still b-student levels(easy courses mostly), I’ve sort of stopped caring about it.

but the other stuff isn’t like me, I’m just a chronic procrastinator.

3 Likes

I have severe chronic early-onset senioritis.

My grades are still fine, but slipping. Part of it is that I just don’t enjoy school much anymore. I have a few good teachers, and a few terrible ones; one class in which I have literally zero drive to complete anything; one class in which the teacher does not teach, only sends us to online tutorials; one ridiculously boring class, far below my skill level, which I was placed into by stupid circumstance via a scheduling error about two years ago; four classes, including the first one I mentioned, with over-the-top workloads all the time…

I just don’t enjoy school anymore. Connecting this to the topic of this thread… I guess I’m actually losing my fear of failure, but not in a positive way.

6 Likes

Hey man, it gets better.
This was totally me Junior and Senior year. (Except without the grades slipping part… I just didn’t get enough sleep…) And now that I’m in college… Um… It’s starting to improve. Still have a ways to go. Just have enough confidence in yourself that you’ll be able to do it. And I know that can be hard sometimes… But… For me at least, surrounding myself with people who want me to succeed and who are confident in me succeeding (without it being pressure) helps.
And I know that can be hard too…
But I know you can do it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hate anything with the front of the neck.
Touching, knife, poking it, whatever.
It scares me.
I hate it so much, I have had so many nightmares that the skin will just snap, and it will break then my insides and just.
Omg.

I hate it.

The sad thing is, when people call me dumb just because I can’t Math.
Look at me, Maxmimum 100% Reading in NAPLAN, I’m in Year 7 and I’m at the Year 9 level. I was easily understanding and reading year 7 books in year 3. I get As in Debating yet I’m not in the advanced class.

2 Likes

Debating… sir, we should have a friendly match at some point. =)

Another thing I’m afraid of is my legacy. I mean, most people worry about being recognized while they’re alive, and being rich and famous and stuff. That’s fine and all, but it doesn’t last. I’m afraid, that when somebody flips through a history book on America in the 2000’s, that I won’t be in there. I know that it’s silly and very self-centered, but the point of it is that I want to do something that really, truly matters to people. Something that will be remembered, not because a teacher made you learn about this guy, but because he did something amazing and awesome and stuff.

I know the chances of this are small, but I think it’s also a drive to keep me doing great things and not just fall behind and be forgotten.

If or when people look back at me, I don’t want them to think “Oh, that kid, he had such potential.” I want to be “That guy who’s so incredibly awesome that he did x, y and z.” Again, self centered, I know.

And you might be thinking that it’s just a perception thing and that I just want people to admire me. While this is somewhat true, I have to say that it’s more of my fear of failure transferred into the future. And this post has gotten far too deep for me at 11:27, so I’mma leave it here.

3 Likes

I’m already resigned to the fact that I’m going to squander all my potential and make no mark. I’ll borrow some lyrics to explain my rationale:

“And since we know that dreams are dead,
And life turns plans up on their head,
I will plan to be a bum,
So I just might become someone”

There you go.

4 Likes

I would say, but its disturbing as heck.
Let’s just say an old Italian safari movie…

What an oddly specific phobia.

2 Likes

I fear what comes after death. I’ve always been afraid of the unknown, and death is one of those things that scares the living rahi out of me.

4 Likes

I have no fear of death and I’m fairly confident that what happens after death is primarily irrelevant to what I do now. However, I have a fear of bodily harm, which just tends to associate itself with death.

2 Likes

The way I see it, babies in the womb, if they could think, would say that life ends at birth.
How do we know there’s not a similar “birth” when we die.

2 Likes

Hmm. mine is about what happens right before death. That gripping, cold realization that this is it and there’s no more you can do. And, even if I go off in my sleep, I feel like I’d be awake just moments before, just so that whatever deity is up there can have the last laugh. I dunno, it just seems to me that death is both a blessing and a sucker-punch in the face… heart… brain… whatever. It just makes me depressed to think, “Well crap. I’m done, for real. I can’t go back, and I can’t go forward. I’m stuck here, in this limbo until I figure out what happens after. Maybe I’ll come back as a flower. A useless flower that can do nothing but photosynthesize and not even think. This is it.”

3 Likes

Someone had to make that reference. XD
But I’m with @Matoro on this one. Life is just a (very important) drop in the bucket.

1 Like

I feel like when I’m about to die, my last thought will be something along the lines of “well, I sure did screw that one up”

5 Likes

Honestly, I’m not too afraid of death.
But when you think deeply about it… Imagine feeling, seeing nothing, for the infinite years to come…

1 Like

I’m scared that @BioRaiders532 and myself cannot be together forever…

4 Likes