What are your favorite Star Wars movies in order?

So after watching TFA a few more times, I’m going to redo my list.

1: The Empire Strikes Back

A Deity standing tall in the Sci-Fi genre, The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite movie ever. Filled with memorable and emotional moments, great writing and acting, and fantastic effects, ESB is a powerful film that its audience can never forget.

2: A New Hope/Star Wars

The film that started the whole series, the Hook that reeled the audience in, A New Hope is a marvelous film. It created an entire, interesting universe that the viewers can really get into within just the first half of the film and gave the world some of the most iconic characters in all of cinema. For that alone, Star Wars is off-the-walls amazing, but then there’s the story, the acting, the cinematography. All of these elements combined created this stew of awe.

3: The Force Awakens

Although fans and critics alike have critiqued the film for using plot elements of previous films, I personally don’t see these as faults. The Force Awakens takes these memorable ideas used in films of old and wraps them in a new coat, making the experience feel new. It also mixed the past and present casts rather well, with their interactions feeling real and genuine. TFA also fits into the original films beautifully, looking, sounding, and feeling like it takes place in the same universe. Overall, it’s a great movie and really got me excited for future additions to the series.

4: Return of the Jedi

Although Return of the Jedi is straight in the middle of this list, I still think it’s a good film. With some of the most iconic scenes from any Star Wars movie, performances just as strong as its predecessors, and an epic conclusion to a trilogy that the original audience had been waiting for, RotJ should be the strongest in the trilogy, but its major downfall for me really hurts the film. This would be Han Solo. I don’t know why, but he just seems a bit useless in the movie as a whole. He might’ve lead the Rebel forces in Endor, but besides that, I didn’t really see his importance. It’s not Harrison Ford’s fault; he still gave a fantastic performance. I just think he should’ve played a slightly larger role. Overall, Return of the Jedi is my personal least favorite movie in the Original Trilogy, but still stands as one of my favorite films. It also had the best side/background characters in any movie ever. Praise Lord Ackbar and Queen Nien!

5: Revenge of the Sith
Let me get this right out of the way, I hate the Prequel Trilogy with a passion. They stained the name of Star Wars with poor acting, wretched humor, and some of the worst writing seen on this side of the pond. The only thing it has going for it is a killer soundtrack, but all Star Wars movies have one…

Revenge of the Sith is undoubtedly the best in this trilogy, but is still a weak and lifeless film. It’s boring, it tries to create fake emotions in the audience, and is filled with action, just for action. It has some stuff going for it, such as Ewan McGregor’s performance (It isn’t breathtaking, but it’s still notable), more emphasis on Palpatine (as long as you erase his lightsaber fight from your mind, you should be a-okay), and a pretty well-delivered speech from Obi-Wan after their final fight (Just fast forward a bit to avoid Anakin’s I HATE CHOO CHOO). Besides all those things, it’s just bland.

6: The Phantom Menace
Nearly everything about this film sucks

In fact, I’m just going to show a few quotes from the movie to prove my point:
“I saw your laser sword.”
“My parts are showing? Oh, my goodness, oh!”
“You must have Jedi reflexes if you race pods.”
“Ooh mooey mooey I love you!”
“Are you an angel?”
“There is no civility, only politics.” It’s sad if your own movie tells you its biggest fault
“There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth, I raised him. I can’t explain what happened.”
“Midi-chlorians are a microscopic life form that resides within all living cells.”
“YIPEE”
“Meesa Jar-Jar Binks”

That should do it…

7: Attack of the Clones

Whenever I rewatch the movies in order, I dread when the opening crawl for Attack of the Clones begins. The film is just agonizing, terrible, putrid, other synonyms for bad.

Let’s just start off with the two biggest issues, the acting and story. These kill the films quicker than a lion catching its prey. Everyone is extremely stiff, unlikable, and just make stupid decisions. The Dialogue just makes all of this stuff ten times better. That’s where all of the smaller thing come in: CG-everything, politics, flying Yoda, Sir Christopher Lee’s head copied and pasted for the lightsaber fight, politics, Anakin, politics, etc.

Overall, it’s an incompetent film with more issues than BIONICLE 2016.

5 Likes

Auralnauts Jedi party edits
Holiday special

1 Like
  1. The Force Awakens
  2. Return of the Jedi
  3. Empire Strikes Back
  4. A New Hope
  5. Revenge of the Sith
  6. Phantom Menace
  7. Attack of the cringe

3 (I really liked the duel between Anakin and Obi wan, while Yoda fought Sideous simultaneously. I also enjoyed the Order 66 part, and Darth Vader saying “NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!”)

1 Like

Not one hundred percent sure, but I think my order goes:

1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. Revenge of the Sith
  6. Attack of the Clones
  7. Phantom Menace
  1. Revenge of the Sith
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. Phantom Menace
  5. A New Hope
  6. Return of the Jedi
  7. Attack of the Clones

I have yet to rewatch TFA, so it may change later.

Revenge of the Sith was actually my favorite for a while. It’s the best of the prequel trilogy, in my opinion (and I know that’s not saying a lot).

Its almost unanimously decided by most fans that its the best one

3 Likes

I can see why. It has the least amount of cheesy dialogue and that final duel on Mustafar was actually pretty good.

3 Likes
  1. The Force Awakens/The Empire Strikes Back
  2. The Empire Strikes Back/ The Force Awakens
  3. Return of the Jedi
  4. A New Hope
  5. Revenge of the Sith
  6. Attack of the Clones
  7. The Phantom Menace
4 Likes

(It is the only one I have actually seen all of…)

4 Likes

Have almost the exact same list, except I think I would give Empire Strikes Back the edge.

1 Like

Ow the edge.

3 Likes

It is The edgiest one…

1 Like

Alrighty, great topic!

Episode II will always be my favorite. So much crazy crap happened in it, and despite a forced and unbelievable love story there were so many other great moments, new characters, and epic storytelling that bridged the gap between the old and new trilogy. Plus, Geonosis will forever be my favorite Clone Wars battle.

Episode VI is my second favorite, also because it added so much lore, and really feels like an epic conclusion. The Tatooine plot is my favorite part of the movie. So cool!

Next comes Episode VII. Incredible. Maybe a bit obnoxious with the Starkiller Base and a bit more fanservice, but no doubt still a direct and respectful addition to the series, and adds a lot of fun new characters to the mix. But dang, Lucasfilm chopping the EU and getting rid of 50% of my childhood…that hurts.

After that, controversial choice but Episode I. This was my childhood. Lightsaber battles, armies and an entire exploration of how the cleaner side of the galaxy lives, this movie is actually quite great. There are so many new creatures and species added, and for the most part the CG isn’t overdone.

Then Episode IV. Classic, such a good movie, my first Star Wars movie, actually. It just gets a bit long and boring at times. Lots of dialogue.

My least favorite classic film was Episode V, it just never felt complete, and didn’t add much to the universe in terms of creatures and lore. It feels like one big bottle episode.

My least favorite movie in the franchise is Episode III. It is a story that should have been built up in film and shouldn’t have relied on the EU publications to help fans appreciate it. As a longtime star wars fan, it is still really hard to watch so many awesome characters with backstories and actual relevance (Grievous is TEXTBOOK to this argument) get one or two quick scenes that don’t establish their characters and then have them get killed shortly afterwards. It’s unbearable.

Note should be taken that if you haven’t, the original Star Wars Clone Wars series that was animated a’la Samurai Jack/symbionic titan style is well worth watching. The two seasons last as long a movie, and are FANTASTIC. Especially in Lieu of Episode III’s rushed plot.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. The Force Awakens

3. The Clone Wars movie BRING IT, HATERS!

4. A New Hope

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. The Phantom Menace

8. Attack of the Clones

9. The Holiday Special

Honorable mention: Auralnauts’s Jedi Party edits

3 Likes

Upon re-watching the Original Trilogy during Thanksgiving and watching Rogue One. My list has been shaken up a bit, but this is how my list goes right now.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Rogue One
  3. The Force Awakens/A New Hope
  4. A New Hope/The Force Awakens
  5. Return of the Jedi
  6. Revenge of the Sith
  7. Attack of the Clones
  8. The Phantom Menace

I only hate episodes 1-3, I love the rest.

Having watched Rogue One:

1. The Force Awakens/The Empire Strikes Back
  2. The Empire Strikes Back/ The Force Awakens
  3. Rogue One
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. A New Hope
  6. Revenge of the Sith
  7. Attack of the Clones
  8. The Phantom Menace
2 Likes

My order would have to be
Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

I didn’t include Rvenge of the Sith as that is the only movie out of the 8 that I have not seen

2 Likes